The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-11-2010, 12:52 PM   #1
b00sted

1951 Truck ignition Switch Question

I have a 51 that has a regulator that converts it over to 12v.. Does this mean that I do not use the foot crank pedal? Truck does not have any keys so i am going to have to buy a switch for it and was wondering what to get...

Or should I just pull mine out and go get it re keyed? Any tricks to pulling it out? i still need to know if I need to use the foot pedal though...
Old 05-11-2010, 04:52 PM   #2
Steve@OldSub.com
Cancer Survivor in the making.

Re: 1951 Truck ignition Switch Question

What is your starter? Do you have a stock motor and transmission? If so you either need to change to a solenoid type starter or use the stock foot start.

Steve@OldSub.com
OldSub.com . MaxwellGarage.com . OldGasTowRigs.com
Steve@OldSub.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 06:09 PM   #3
mr48chev

Re: 1951 Truck ignition Switch Question

I'm not quite following you.

Do you mean that you have a 12 Volt battery, generator and regulator?
Or????

As Steve said, what starter do you have on it now? If it has a foot pedal starter you don't have to change the switch. Even if it has a starter with a solenoid on it you can install a pushbutton starter switch.

If you can find a handful of worn out old GM keys there is a pretty good chance that you can find one that will work in the switch as there weren't a lot of choices as far as keys went in those days. I'll have to look in one of the 51 cabs that I just bought to be sure how to pop the switch/tumbler out as I can't remember at the moment. And or get the lock out of the dash.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote