The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-11-2010, 05:21 PM   #1
Mathew21

Newbie question

I have been looking for a Truck for awhile now. I have been trying to find a 47-54 in my price range that already had a V8 swapped in. Well I came across I really clean 1954 1/2 ton with stock drive train (6cyl, Man tranny). It is priced in the top of my budget. So my newbie question is how is it to drive a 1954 with a stock drive train. Does it keep up with traffic without a problem? I know the rear end gearing is not set up for freeway driving. Could I install a hitch to pull a small trailer with a riding mower? I cut my grandmother's grass every other week. I would like to eventually swap a mild 350 in it when I replenish the savings account. But for now I would like to be able to drive the truck as much as possible.

Thanks, Matt
Mathew21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:44 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Newbie question

Welcome to the board. Back when they were new or almost new guys pulled horse trailers, small travel trailers and race car trailers with them on a regular basis. I don't think there would be an issue with a small utility trailer. As far as running down the highway probably 55/60 is the optimum serious highway speed with a 54 with a three speed and stock rear end. It might go faster but that may not be the best for it.

From experience I'd say buy the truck with the best body and frame you can afford even if it doesn't now have the engine and drivetrain you want. If you read 100 build threads on here the biggest challenges to building or restoring one of these trucks is rust.
The engine/ transmission thing is simple and easy by comparison.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:45 PM   #3
MrTucker

My '53 GMC has the original engine/tranny and has 135k miles. It was used for cruising, hauling trailers, hauling heavy loads in the bed, it went cross country many times...it did it all. It was used as a farm truck to pull a loaded 2 horse trailer up and down the mountains of Montana for ~20 years.

So yes, it will do what ever you need it to - except go fast. You'll probably never break 65 mph (maybe not even 55 mph). But these engines are incredibly tough and durable. The 1+ ton heavy duty trucks of the 50's all had 6 cyl engines but were geared incredibly low. My grandfather in law still has his old 2 ton Ford that he used to haul timber and other 30+ ton loads back in the day and it still has the original engine.

Putting in a 350 will no doubt increase the ability of the truck, but the straight six will give you all you "need"
MrTucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 05:53 PM   #4
Fred T
Cantankerous Geezer

Welcome aboard, Matt.

The biggest limit will be the brakes. If it's running right, the truck will keep up with traffic and will run up to about 90 mph. But it certainly won't be safe at those speeds, and the engine won't last long. When you drive one of these trucks you need to give yourself lots of room to stop as well as planning out your turns. As for the trailer and mower, you won't know it's there. Just don't get in a hurry.

Before I retired I was driving my 52 3/4 ton to work daily. 12 miles of interstate at rush hour. I drove in the right lane at 60, and had to really be on top of the idiots ahead of me.

There is no such thing as too much cam...just not enough engine.
Fred T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:42 PM   #5
Mathew21

Thanks for the replies. I'm going to look at the Truck Thursday I will update the post then.

Matt
Mathew21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 07:49 PM   #6
OrrieG

My 59 came stock with a 235, 3 speed, 3.54 rearend. It floated the valves around 65 but the engine had about 150K on it. It felt comfortable at 55 or so. Only way it would see 90 was on a long down hill grade with the 750# camper on it. I drove it many miles with that camper, plus the weight fo two adults, two kids and all the junk you take camping. A trailer and riding mower will not even cause it to break a sweat. Brakes can be a challenge in the hills, around town and on the highway you just learn to keep your distance like we did in the 60's.

Get it and enjoy the nostalgia while you plan what you want to do. Engine, trans and rearend upgrade to go faster is easy. Parts are still available to rebuild the front end. If you like to tailgate disc upgrade kits are available.

If its a rust bucket move on or plan on learning to do body work and welding. My next project is going to cost me more up front but I won't be buying stock in Lincoln and Evercoat.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2010, 08:56 PM   #7
CAL 58 GMC

Welcome!
CAL 58 GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 06:53 AM   #8
Indian113

Good luck on finding your truck,if I was doing it again I would look for one with a updates done to it and running . It might cost a little more but would be cheaper in long run
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:49 AM   #9
63 & 64 Bowties
and a few others

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrieG View Post
Only way it would see 90 was on a long down hill grade with the 750# camper on it.
Yea, I don't know about that 90 mph thing either. I had a bone stock 54 half ton about 20 years ago that was completely restored. 55 mph was fairly comfortable, but anything above that, not so much. It was unique for a while, but I wouldn't want to drive it every day. If you live in an area where you use the interstate a lot, you'll get tired of a stock AD real quick.

“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated” Gandhi
63 & 64 Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 08:46 PM   #10
Dan Bowles
AD Addict

Welcome, Matt. A '54 is a sweet truck! PM me if you need anything, I'm down by Toledo and have 5 or 6 of these trucks. Especially the '54s (they are an 18 month deal and have many specific parts).
Dan Bowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 10:37 PM   #11
steve53

i put about 12k miles on my 53 last year. completely stock engine/trans/diff. 55mph is pushing it pretty hard. im going to go ahead and say 90mph is not possible. the fastest i had the truck up to was 61 and i thought it was going to explode. not to mention, going 55 feels a hell of a lot faster than 55 does in a late model vehicle because the leaf springs and massive steering play on an AD truck. you are not safe going that fast at all.

i drive mine almost every day but i work in town and have only had it on the interstate a few times. last time i was on the interstate, i almost got rearended by a guy going 70 talking on his phone and didnt notice that i was only cruising along at 50.

if you updated the drivetrain/engine/suspension then it would be a lot more friendly on the interstate.

1st Armored Division, OIF Veteran
steve53 is offline   Reply With Quote