The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 99-06 GMT800 Chevy and GMC Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-04-2014, 12:31 PM   #1
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

2001 Vortech 6 Cyl - Crank - No Start

Hey Guys,

Normally hang out in the 67-72 section. My son-in-law has a 2001 Silverado with the Vortech 6 cylinder engine that will crank, but will not start. I could use some diagnostic help from you gurus.

To help make an informed decision, I'll try to list some of the things we've been doing and provide as much detail as possible.

1) Checked all fuses with test light (both sides of each fuse) in fuse box under hood and on side of drivers dash. There were a couple that had no power with ignition on, but pulled and the fuses were fine. We replaced them just in case.

2) We have spark going from ignition module wire to distributor.

3) We have spark at #1 plug.

4) Pulled the plastic cover over (fuel injection port? center of motor, plastic piece that comes from the air intake, going into the motor) and put in a cup of gasoline, tried to start, no luck. This was to try and isolate if a fuel problem.

Additional details:

He did two things yesterday before this issue began:

1) Used some engine cleaner on the motor to clean it up, hosed off with running water. Said was careful to not get alternator and keep water flow close to the block. Said was not spraying entire engine, just a trickle of water to get the block area. Motor was not hot (had not been driving yesterday) before he went to clean the block.

We removed each sensor clip and used compressed air (I have a compressor) on the pigtails and clips in case there was any water in electrical connections.

I put a high speed fan pointing directly to the engine, overnight, in case there was an residual moisture.

2) Had been having trouble with instrument cluster, removed it to check, then put back in. I had him remove it again last night to check any connection he might have left loose.

Summary:

Engine cranks, but will not start. We have spark from ignition module to distributor and spark to #1 spark plug. Put a cup of fuel directly in to isolate a potential fuel pump issue, but no difference.

Prior to this, truck had been running fine (other than the instrument cluster seemed to have a mind of it's own and would work sometimes and sometimes not).

Would appreciate any advice you guys could offer. Thanks much!

Wade
BruthaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 01:16 PM   #2
Low Elco

Re: 2001 Vortech 6 Cyl - Crank - No Start

Hmmm. Check Fuel pressure at Schrader valve near motor. Oddly, try a fresh dist. cap. I know, it seems fine. I've seen several instances where the 4.3's are EXTREMELY sensitive to Dist cap issues. Once in an Astrovan to the point the dealership wound up calling the GM Tech Center, and that's what he told them to do. Cap was 6 months old. Swapped it, varoom. Also, if you can feel the pump runnin, and low pressure, sometimes the hose in the tank fails. All seems well, but no workie. Drop the tank and check the hoses.

PS- Hi Wade! Glad you're still out there. Hope it's going well.
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 02:00 PM   #3
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Hey bud, good to see you too!

Still kickin' [and screaming]. I drive back and forth from San Angelo to Lubbock every week in my '72 to work. Come home on the weekend to deal with crisis, heh!

Interesting on the cap. Was reading last night and saw several recommendations on doing that on other sites. We my try that next. It's one of those headbangers, for sure!

Hope you and the family are doing well.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:06 PM   #4
BruthaMan
US Army Veteran

Hey Low Elco, just wanted to follow up and say "thanks."

Picked up a new cap, rotor, wires and plugs. We put the new cap on first to see if that was the issue, and it fired right up. Took the cap off and went ahead and replaced the rotor, wires and plugs.

Purs like a kitten now. Appreciate the advice. I've lost track of how many times you've bailed me out here. Some day I'm going to buy you a beer...or two.
Old 08-04-2014, 11:38 PM   #5
Low Elco

Just glad it runs! Thanks for the follow up! Hope we get to have a beer sometime!
Low Elco is offline   Reply With Quote