The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-07-2011, 01:31 AM   #26
swamp rat

Re: oil pressure sudden drop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainfab View Post
On a big block (which the OP has) the standard place for the oil pressure sending unit, or tubing for a mechanical gauge, is on the side of the block just above the oil filter.
Thanks Captin, wouldn't doute you for a minute, i've never owned a big block 400

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 12:17 PM   #27
iamseth

I swear, this truck is an enigma. This morning the oil pressure was acting normal or "like it always has"... idle= 1/4, driving 1/2-3/4. I'm still going to hook up another gauge to check the pressure, maybe my gauge is f'd somehow.... I don't know. Loving all the participation!
iamseth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:13 AM   #28
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

If you do get another gauge, and it is a mechanical gauge, spend a little extra and get the copper line for it. The typical plastic line can become brittle and break at any time. Especially from the heat of the headers/manifolds on a big block. Don't ask me how I know......
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:34 AM   #29
tubbedII
needs more $$$

Where do you get such a line? I had to get a new sending unit when I bought my blazer and the only one I could find was a plastic piece.
Old 02-08-2011, 05:46 PM   #30
jasonroman

i have an 85. with what i was told is a 5.7 liter engine. not really sure about what engine is in truck, but i notice sometimes my gauge works and sometimes it stays near 0. how can i check to see if my gauge is going or something is wrong with connection.
sometimes im driving and it reads a little over 0, some times it dont move and others it moves.
thanks for any advice. and let me know if i should be starting a thread for this. if so, sorry for posting.
jasonroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 07:22 PM   #31
swamp rat

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonroman View Post
i have an 85. with what i was told is a 5.7 liter engine. not really sure about what engine is in truck, but i notice sometimes my gauge works and sometimes it stays near 0. how can i check to see if my gauge is going or something is wrong with connection.
sometimes im driving and it reads a little over 0, some times it dont move and others it moves.
thanks for any advice. and let me know if i should be starting a thread for this. if so, sorry for posting.
The best way to check would be to install directly to the oil port on the block a known good pressure guage, fire up the truck and read the pressure, see i'm pretty sure on that year it would probably have a sending unit and electrical guage but not positive...

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 12:01 AM   #32
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

The one I've bought before is made by Autometer.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ATM-3224/

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbedII View Post
Where do you get such a line? I had to get a new sending unit when I bought my blazer and the only one I could find was a plastic piece.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote