The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-29-2021, 03:02 PM   #1
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Air bags. Recommendations?

I'm thinking about getting air bags. Can anybody recommend some that they have had good luck with?

I've seen some horror stories of botched jobs on the net. And I was at Pomona once and this guy was selling his as being the best. He had signs all over the place and cars with his stuff displayed. Then one blew up right while we were standing there. It sounded like a bomb going off. My ears were ringing. Obviously not the best.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 03:44 PM   #2
Big Kev-O

Re: Air bags. Recommendations?

I am running Air Lift Dominator 2600 and so far happy with the choice. The front has been on for about a year and I am installing the rear bag now. Ride quality is nice with even with my cheap KYB Excel-G twin tube shocks. I am running dual Viair 485C Compressors, 5 gallon tank with 1/2" Asco valves on the front and 3/8" Asco valves on the rear. This is way overkill and actually hops the front tires when the tank is @ full pressure. No need for 1/2" valves unless you want to go up real fast, like hydraulic fast. I purchased the front air bag mount plates from Thor Bros and controller billet 9 switch controller from AVS. Both companies took forever to ship the products supposedly due to covid. So call before you order to make sure they have everything in stock. I am not impressed with the push connect fitting from either company and suggest you go with a DOT approved well known brand like Parker. If you go with AirLift Dominators make sure they are the genuine thing because there are a lot of cheap fakes listed as D2600 bags. I chose to use Asco valves because Accuair went out of business and Ridetech was too expensive for my taste.
Old 04-29-2021, 04:23 PM   #3
Woodnears

Air lift dominators for the win. only seen one fail and it was totally my fault. It was spectacular and scared the daylights out of me that's for sure. Accuair is back in business, bought by Arnott industries. i spoke with them and they are re-releasing most of the original product line. As long as the quality remains they are a good bet. also airlift has some nice systems as well.
Old 04-29-2021, 06:05 PM   #4
FleetsidePaul
R.I.P. E.S.L.L.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodnears View Post
A only seen one fail and it was totally my fault. It was spectacular and scared the daylights out of me that's for sure.
It definitely wakes you up. I seriously thought that a bomb had gone off.

It was at a crowded swap meet and you should have seen people scramble.

1970 CST 20

1970 C/30 Flatbed

1983 C/30 Dually

2015 Corvette Z51 2021 Corvette Z51 1991 Cadillac Hearse 1982 Cadillac Eldorado Biarritz 2000 Porsche Boxster S 2020 Jeep Gladiator 1973 VW Thing 1973 Plymouth Satellite wagon 1963 Baja Bug 1959 Bug Dune Buggy 1970 Baja Bug 1987 Jaguar XJ 350.

R.I.P. El Jay

R.I.P Jessie.

R.I.P Grumpy.

Every day is a gift from God.
FleetsidePaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2021, 06:18 PM   #5
layinrocker65

Its unfortunate that Accuair is making a comeback after screwing so many customers where they went "under." I hope none of the original owners are part of the new company.
‘74 Chevy C10 SWB 5.3/4L80e, Vintage Air, Dakota Digital, US Mags
layinrocker65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 11:15 AM   #6
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post
I'm thinking about getting air bags. Can anybody recommend some that they have had good luck with?

I've seen some horror stories of botched jobs on the net. And I was at Pomona once and this guy was selling his as being the best. He had signs all over the place and cars with his stuff displayed. Then one blew up right while we were standing there. It sounded like a bomb going off. My ears were ringing. Obviously not the best.
Are you asking about 'bags' as in a specific brand recommendation or an air bag system?

Pretty sure Firestone has been in the air bag scene for a day or two. And.... Any bag that's been subjected to conditions outside of their operation parameters or subjected to environmental hazards/issues can fail.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2021, 06:37 PM   #7
cab4word67

I too am starting the quest for bags and drop spindles. Anything and everything to slam my 67 step side. Help would be appreciated.
Chris
cab4word67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 12:16 PM   #8
HO455
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FleetsidePaul View Post

You haven't mentioned how you you plan on using the truck and how much you plan on dropping the truck. What is you budget?
I have used Slam Specialties SS7's on my Burban. Tough bags with a good range of motion. I was satisfied with them but, I ended up removing them and going back to springs after 20k miles.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2021, 12:55 PM   #9
cab4word67

Hello and thanks for the reply. As you can see from my avatar this truck will be going down about 16-18". A start will be removing the 3" body lift. And then my custom 5" frame conversion, this will put us at stock. The new tires will give me another 5" drop. Yes this is a 2 wheel drive that has been like this for 40 years and is time to be slammed, or at least low. i just want a nice driver. wont be hauling anything. I figured a C notch, 5" drop mono springs and maybe try springs in front instead of bags. Just not sure. One problem kind of is I have a nice disc conversion already but it is designed for stock drum spindles so I don't know how low you can go with just springs in the front. This is why I was leaning toward bags. If I go bags I really would like to do the rear too. Money is always a concern but that I why I want to do the homework first. I know this wont be cheap and am prepared to spend $$$
Chris
cab4word67 is offline   Reply With Quote