The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-13-2019, 10:05 AM   #126
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: A '54 named Busty

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintovka View Post
If you mean down before axle you may really regret it. I tried it and produced a drone that gave migraines. Even shooting out to side would be better
I concur, had 'em like that on my '74 and hated it, it sounded just as you describe, though at the time I blamed it on my DroneMaster muffalers
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 12:19 PM   #127
vintovka

The muffler shop said as long as you have about 1/2" clearance from tank its ok. Also said good insulation wrap can take that down to near contact. Not much room under there so it take a real talented type to make those bends. Did think about flex pipe but would use wrap for peace of mind. Nothing is as nice as rear exhaust. Wasn't kidding about the migraines.
vintovka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 12:45 PM   #128
dsraven

exhaust blows oxides of nitrogen and moisture out the tailpipe. if you dump before the rear of the truck and you have any bare metal or unprotected surfaces you can start to see corrosion start. it also dumps heat so everything behind it warms up in traffic. I suggest to try getting the pipes out the rear or the side instead of onto the ground below the truck. just my 2 cents worth. I have done it that way, dumping ahead of the axle because of room constraints. it's definitely loud in the cab and you start seeing the rock chips rusting up as well as more chips because the exhaust blows into the dirt. it also warms up the rear axle if dumping out in the right spot for the heat to hit the housing. long trips leave your ears ringing. on the bright side though, if you drive it that way for long enough you can't hear it anymore (or much else....)
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2019, 12:48 PM   #129
dsraven

heat shields help a lot. thats why newer vehicles have shields from front to rear. the carpet gets hot under there especially with catalytic converters. been to a few car fires from that, also a few grass fires from cars left parked and running on a dry grassy blvd.
set up for success the first time around.
Old 12-13-2019, 12:59 PM   #130
vintovka

The corrosion issue alone is of worry. Here on the ocean/beach seen brand new razor blades disintegrate in week when accidentally left outside. The drone was so bad in my 54 that i started carrying my anti migraine meds (fiorinal) in the glove compartment!!!!
Old 12-13-2019, 01:10 PM   #131
dsraven

for my project I will be using the quietest exhaust system I can get, the OEM one from my donor vehicle. I don't mind being the uncool guy, used to it, haha. I do enjoy listening to music while driving or being able to carry on a conversation. I will be using the catalytic converter as well, I don't like the odor of unburned fuel and neither do most others checking out the ride in the parking lot or driving behind it on the highway. it is why I drive past those cars with the cats removed and admire them in the rear view mirror. wifey usually says "pass this guy, he stinks".
I know, everybodies project is their own hotrod and an extension of themselves and their wants. just be safe doing it and think of others on the road as well. how much CO is allowed into the cab when idling in a parking lot chatting with some buddies because the exhaust drops out right under the truck?

end of rant.
Old 12-13-2019, 01:52 PM   #132
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
how much CO is allowed into the cab when idling in a parking lot chatting with some buddies because the exhaust drops out right under the truck? end of rant.
Actually had precision calibrated instrumentation available as part of my toxicology work to measure air quality in the cab. Even with previous engine and single exhaust out near axle mine was getting substantial CO readings. Forget exact PPMs but when stopped it was pretty high like in 100s if now winds or ventilation. Now with the in cab tanks the total volatile levels (as benzene) were always high. I actually do recall 15-30 PPM driving and sometimes in the thousands of PPM stopped. Some might be from cars in front but reading taken with cab closed up. Scary part is actually being "off scale" right after fill ups. This, with all new rubber, clamps and no visible leakage. Instruments proved even if you can't smell it - it may still be there. Benzene is the major component of gasoline BTW. Google it if you haven't already. Its just the way it is and always played way done ( or not mentioned) by the petroleum industry as we would have no gas powered cars is the truth was commonly known.
Old 12-13-2019, 04:25 PM   #133
dsraven

CO,
odorless, colorless, tasteless.
co gets into your lungs when you breathe, enters the blood stream when your blood goes through the lungs to get re-oxygenated and bonds with your hemogloben, taking up space where the oxygen would normally be bonded. levels of oxygen are then reduced. headaches, nausea and vomitting are symtoms. it takes a long time for the co to leave your system and if the dose is enough you could be put in a hyperbaric chamber to assist with that. the level of ppm you are able to be in is also related to your age and history. if, say, you have a small level per day then over time it builds up because your system can't get rid of it as fast as you are getting it added. you could be feeling lethargic and think you just had a bad week when actually it is the co talking. you're tired because you're not really charged up on oxygen like you should be.
some monitors will read by co or o2 levels in the area. just know that a lower than normal o2 reading means there is something else in the area displacing the o2. it would be good to know the actual levels of other toxins or gases inside the cab after a fill up with an inside the cab style fuel tank. compare that to the lower explosive level of that chemical and see where youre at. exposure to gasoline vapors has caused cancer in lab rats. why take the chance?
vehicles get their fresh air through vents or the heater, barring a bunch of holes in the cab, so a parked running vehicle can get outside air with the heater running. a good reason to have the exhaust dump out the rear, like new cars have had for years.
a good way to check for leaks is run the heater on high fan, close doors and wash the vehicle with really soapy water. bubbles will show where the big leaks are. door seals, sliding window seals, door handles, vent windows, etc etc. look under the hood as well. holes in the firewall bring in engine bay odors and contaminants.
anyway, hope you get that fixed so you can enjoy life and feel energized.
Old 12-13-2019, 04:51 PM   #134
vintovka

The only good thing about CO is NOT a known, direct, carcinogen like Benzine. Max Exposure level for benzine is 1 ppm, average odor detection is 1.5 PPM (too late). Can easily get several thousand ppm when filling at gas station. And that's every time. Folks who say they like the smell of gas make me laugh. You can run but cannot hide.
Old 12-18-2019, 05:37 PM   #135
LT7A

Much good info here about the gas tank and exhaust dilemmas. Probably worth a thread in general discussion if you guys are so inclined.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2019, 05:41 PM   #136
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski View Post
... found this, once replaced the engine turns over 10 times faster and started a few times, now just to get it to keep running
Stuff like this can be so aggravating. So glad you found it. I've never had much luck with any kind of one-sided clamps either...
Attached Images

Last edited by LT7A; 12-18-2019 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-18-2019, 06:02 PM   #137
vintovka

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Much good info here about the gas tank and exhaust dilemmas. Probably worth a thread in general discussion if you guys are so inclined.
HMM lemme see. In cab gas tanks can deliver a dose of known cancer causing chemicals with each fillup and in most cases anytime your in it. Many states will immediatly label a stupid small part as dangerous yet nothing is said when it concerns the petroleum or car industry. You decide.
Old 12-18-2019, 07:47 PM   #138
LT7A

Quote:
HMM lemme see. In cab gas tanks can deliver a dose of known cancer causing chemicals with each fillup and in most cases anytime your in it. Many states will immediatly label a stupid small part as dangerous yet nothing is said when it concerns the petroleum or car industry. You decide.
If you are assuming I have a position and feel you need to inform me of something directly, then please PM me. This discussion has progressed beyond relevance to the truck in the thread. Any additional information ought to be posted in general discussion. The only direct response I have is that it is not for me to decide. This isn't my truck.

Last edited by LT7A; 12-18-2019 at 08:02 PM.
Old 12-20-2019, 12:33 PM   #139
Gregski
Post Whore

poor Busty starting WWWIII ha ha
Old 01-04-2020, 01:21 PM   #140
Gregski
Post Whore

rolled her out to see some fresh air yesterday - I just luv that stance
Attached Images

Old 01-04-2020, 05:49 PM   #141
vintovka

Looks good - keep it uo!!
Old 03-27-2020, 11:18 PM   #142
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Looks good - keep it uo!!
Thanks, I appreciate that! Hope you all are doing good, and with the winter over (I hate the months of February and January) it's time for some updates!
Old 03-27-2020, 11:25 PM   #143
Gregski
Post Whore

today I decided to fabricate the rear shock crossmember, and it turned out great, the fab that is, the welds well that's another story, ha ha

I started out by making these 3/16ths thick plates to bolt up the crossmember to the frame using existing holes already in the frame - Bonus!, I did not want to weld it to the frame in case my GEOGRAPHY was off, LOL

So here we have it, Passenger side done!
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2020, 11:29 PM   #144
Gregski
Post Whore

then it was time to make the other side, and I am so happy with how it turned out, it's always more difficult making that second or third piece that has to match, but I started out by bolting the Passenger side plate on the Driver side just for makesureness, and then drilled the exact same bolt holes, and all was well

and there you haveski the Driver side all done too!
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2020, 11:33 PM   #145
Gregski
Post Whore

and hear's a mock up of the cross member beamer, I forgit what speculation it is but it's again thicker than 1/8th by a nats hair
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2020, 11:37 PM   #146
Gregski
Post Whore

continuing the dance, it was time to make the mounting brackets and again I really like how they turned out, there was an extra degree of difficulty cause they had to be mounted at an angle, but I hope you agree I pulled it off

I really like how the brackets wrap around the beam on both top and bottom for extra strengthtability

notice I hacked off my over the rear axle exhaust tailpipes, in typical Hot Rodder fashion, two steps forward one step back, as they had poor intentions of protruding directly in the path of the shockinators
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2020, 11:41 PM   #147
Gregski
Post Whore

under the modern circumstances Kordova Vitology and such not, I knew my supplies and materials were at a premium and I had to get the most mileage out of everything I had in stock, so I got every last mile I could out of these cutting wheels if I do say so myself

Owning the cut off wheel like a Boss!
Attached Images

Last edited by Gregski; 05-03-2020 at 08:21 AM.
Old 03-27-2020, 11:43 PM   #148
Gregski
Post Whore

check out the twins...
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2020, 11:47 PM   #149
Gregski
Post Whore

and here she be all done!

again great fab work and horrible welds, that's why I "welded" and I use that term loosely each bracket on all four sides

now I'm not a total moron when it comes to welding, if I can sit on a bar stool and weld on a bench it's a little bit different story, but here I was lying on my back under the truck at times and other times I just couldn't get the angle on the gun cause of other parts interfering and oh yeah, you can't remove that member out of the frame all welded up to weld it outside the truck!
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2020, 11:51 PM   #150
Gregski
Post Whore

and here it is from a different angle
Attached Images