The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-30-2022, 09:32 PM   #1
LBJ

New Carb for 1977 Bonanza 350 4 bbl?

My truck is 45 years old and the carb needs some work. I've rebuilt it at least twice over the years. And the jets need reducing. What is the best-suited brand new carb to replace the factory unit? As far as fit, linkages matching up, fuel lines feeding the same etc. The 350 is bone stock. I notice Summit Racing has a few to pick from. Thanks, LBJ
LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 11:14 PM   #2
geezer#99

Re: New Carb for 1977 Bonanza 350 4 bbl?

There are no ‘new’ carbs that bolt on.
You might need an adaptor to bolt to your intake, a different choke set up, linkage changes, possible fuel regulator or heat spacer needed and air cleaner changes. All possible depending on carb chosen.
Easier to get a super quality rebuilt or rebuild of your own carb.
Sean Murphy does good carbs. And calibrated to your vehicle too.

https://www.smicarburetor.com/
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2022, 11:26 PM   #3
LBJ

No direct replacements. Sad. Well, The main thing about the original is that the engine is running way too rich. Changing the jets requires taking it apart as I recall. Might just buy a rebuilt as they usually repair any wear and tear around the moving parts that can be a vacuum leak. Been a while since I messed with a 4 bbl. Thanks for your input, Geezer.
LBJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 09:51 AM   #4
geezer#99

Changing the jets won’t change it much from being too rich. Might help a little but won’t fix the problem.
Be careful with that ‘buying a rebuilt’ idea. No gaurentee you’ll get a carb that works any better.
At least with a Sean Murphy carb you’ll be much better off.
Sure they might cost near double a common rebuilder cost but I think it’s worth it.
Besides a float adjustment or needle/seat swap out timing can have a big effect on richness too.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 10:20 AM   #5
cadillac_al

Don't lose your original carb in case the new ones don't work so well. All my old trucks are still using the original carbs and run like they always did. If yours is running rich it should be basic float/needle/seat stuff like Geezer said. Maybe the power piston could be stuck too but it has never happened to me.
77 Chevy K10
cadillac_al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 06:38 PM   #6
HOGDADDY

Here is a possibility.

http://www.vintagemusclecarparts.com/
HOGDADDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2022, 11:11 PM   #7
Dead Parrot

If your truck still has the OEM exhaust, make sure the riser valve isn't stuck shut or partially stuck. Too much exhaust going through the intake crossover will over heat and damage a Q-jet and it will run very rich. If you have that issue, a new carb will die the same way in a few weeks.

Edelbrock used to make new Q-jets but I think they quit several years ago. Possible a few still linger in long established speed shops. Maybe some of the on-line resell sites might have them but condition would be a gamble.

Any carb that is not a Q-jet will almost certainly need some new linkage bits, fuel line mods and possibly one or more new brackets for things like transmission shift cables and/or switches. If you still have the AC step up solenoid, a different carb will need a different type for more $. If you get unlucky, you could wind up with $100+ in various adapter plates, brackets, linkage bits and fuel line fittings.
Dead Parrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2023, 12:14 AM   #8
Ziegelsteinfaust

Have you thought about a Holley or MSD tbi unit?
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote