The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-19-2022, 05:02 PM   #26
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: Palf's 1970 Custom/10

So far I am liking this Holley. I have always been less than satisfied with Q-jets (many years ago). Not sure though. I do have an Edelbrock Intake that will go one one day, then the decision will be the Holley, an Edelbrock (I have one for it) or maybe another Q-jet. All the Q-jets (3 of them) that came with it were in a million pieces. I ended up selling them all to some one who really likes them.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2022, 12:30 PM   #27
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Nice truck Bill. I also like the Q-jets but I have a really good rebuilder local to me so that helps. That is a great job on the GB door and a nice tribute to Ed.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 04:20 PM   #28
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Since it was supposed to warm up today I thought I would maybe do oil change on truck and cleanup more in shop. At 9:30 the shop temp was a bit to cool for my now southern body. It warmed up a good bit by 2:00, but somehow it just did not quite feel any warmer. I guess I have been here too long and lost my Yankee roots (couldn't be because I am ancient now). I remember dropping the transmission out of my Chrysler Newport, dragging it to the garage, rebuild it and put it back in in a snow storm in January (about 34 degrees). What a wimp I have become. . Oh well, time for some hot coffee and stay in the house!

BTW I am about as far south as you can get in Mississippi and not get wet. Its only about a mile to the Gulf.
Attached Images

Bill's Gallery
Old 01-24-2022, 05:44 PM   #29
OutlawDrifter

We had a high of 48* in northeast KS today...but the wind is blowing 30mph straight from the north.

Tomorrow's high will be in the 20s.

Instagram @aceshighspeedshop
OutlawDrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 05:48 AM   #30
LT7A

Cool truck and great story, Bill. Glad to hear and see that you're already enjoying it. Just for the heck of it, I will mention that I think that it looks great as is and that the paint would clean up nicely. I think you could even repair the rust and touch up those areas. If any of that plus the money and time saved appeals, just speak up I'm sure there are others that can help too. If you are wanting to make it look new again, then ignore everything I just said. It's yours, and what a blessing to be given something so significant as a tribute to your friendship. I didn't know it Ed, but I trust that he has passed on to a better place and hope that his widow is doing well as can be.

Last edited by LT7A; 01-27-2022 at 05:55 AM.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 09:06 AM   #31
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Cool truck and great story, Bill. Glad to hear and see that you're already enjoying it. Just for the heck of it, I will mention that I think that it looks great as is and that the paint would clean up nicely. I think you could even repair the rust and touch up those areas. If any of that plus the money and time saved appeals, just speak up I'm sure there are others that can help too. If you are wanting to make it look new again, then ignore everything I just said. It's yours, and what a blessing to be given something so significant as a tribute to your friendship. I didn't know it Ed, but I trust that he has passed on to a better place and hope that his widow is doing well as can be.
I have to replace both doors, do some patching on the hood and drip rails. My Truck club has already been on me about keeping it as is. If I can get it paint matched in those areas, I probably will keep the rest. Just not sure. I know it has not had any wax or whatever on it in 15+ years. My friend wanted nature to get all that out so it would be less cleaning off of all the old wax and etc before paint. The more I look at removing all the trim and replacing it again makes me want to keep it as is, except the few really bad spots.

Bill's Gallery
Old 02-03-2022, 03:32 PM   #32
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Did a couple changes for convenience, took off the homemade/modified spare tire holder from under bed and move the spare to the side of the bed. What Ed had was part original and part home mode and made it a real pain to get it out. Plus it was very rust and if I had to get it out, it probably wouldn't go well on the side of the road.

Nothing complicated, just simple one at rear of bed to make it easy to get in and out. I'll get me a new spare in the near future as near as I can figure this one is almost 30 years old.

Last picture is the underside. Pretty clean for 52 years old.
Attached Images

Bill's Gallery
Old 02-03-2022, 05:23 PM   #33
LT7A

Definitely clean and in good shape under the truck. If it holds air, I'd be tempted to keep that Radial 70 Interceptor for a spare. Get some UV protection on it and figure it's good enough to get you to the next tire shop anyway. Just because it looks cool and it's vintage. I think 30 years might be on the young side, haha. But you tend to take your truck on trips and probably should have something more reliable. Something you can drive back home on.
Old 02-04-2022, 10:45 AM   #34
cj847

What does that spare tire mount look like behind the tire? I would like to make one for my truck. Thanks.
cj847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 12:12 PM   #35
SCHRUMGMC

Beautiful truck. I love the photos!!!

I love the interior
Old 02-12-2022, 10:16 AM   #36
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Well, first thing to mention is while I was working on truck yesterday was my latest gift from Chevy Truck legends showed up. So, now I have tape measure that fits the garage theme.

Anyhow, yesterday I decided to do some servicing of the truck. First thing was replacing the fuel tank sender. I don't remember if it was that way when I found the seat for Ed, but I just realized that the tilt lever is missing from the seat (its a 90 model CX1500 recovered). Even though it slides forward, it made it tight to twist the sender around to get it out and new one in. I am guessing somewhere in the tank is a float (couldn't find it) because the old unit came out missing it. New one is in and yeah, gauge works again.

Next was oil change. Ed had installed a remote oil filter system. What I didn't know or forgot was it still had the factor style oil filter also. No biggie, change both. The recommend oil filter for 70 Chevy V8 truck didn't fit. The headers where in the way. I am not sure (yet at least) what brand these are. Ed says they were on the truck when he bought it in 1978. They are in great sharp and seal well, but REAL tight around oil filter. Found a shorter filter (I guess cars had same issue, as they all used the short filter and truck longer one). Anyways, got that all done, 6 quarts of oil and she is ready for more cruising.

Last small block I had (my 83 C10) had shorter headman headers so I didn't notice the oil filter issue. I believe every other small block I owned used Ram horns. The wrench barely gets on and the filter just makes it in and out when replacing. The pictures make it seem like more room that what it felt when changing.

I also did some adjustments on the driver's door latch so that the key would lock the door. Turns out it wasn't fully engaged when closed, so it would not allow the lock to engage. Little steps.
Attached Images

Bill's Gallery

Last edited by Palf70Step; 02-12-2022 at 10:22 AM.
Old 02-12-2022, 10:23 AM   #37
BigBird05

If your filter is that close to the headers make sure the oil is not getting hot. You might have to put some header wrap on them where the oil filter is.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2022, 10:25 AM   #38
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

That was a thought I had too. Since it has been that way for 40ish years and 400K miles, I am not sure if it is effecting it much though.

Bill's Gallery
Old 02-17-2022, 05:40 PM   #39
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Spent yesterday and today getting the inside of truck ready for some trips. First up was getting some cup holders. I got one from a 2002 Silverado worktruck that I am going to adapt. Since I have a seat from a 91 truck, it gives me a metal bar across the front of the seat frame to attach. Nothing fancy, just some angle aluminum and a little paint. This design worked great on my old 83 and 64, so why not do it again.
Attached Images

Bill's Gallery
Old 02-17-2022, 05:51 PM   #40
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Also up was installing my Christmas present from the wife and son, a new stereo unit that I don't have to cut up the dash to use it. It's a Retrosound Hermosa model. Not the top end, but it gives me the ability to use my USB music sticks for long drives. It was too much fun to take pictures of the install, but it wasn't too awful bad. Having to put it together to fit in the space was a bit cumbersome, but I didn't take my pistol out at all during install. Before I put the head unit in, I swapped out the front speakers with a set of duals. I also put in some kick panel units and speakers. Unfortunately one of Ed's kick panel speakers was bad, so I am 3-speakering it until the new ones arrive. It sounds OK. I had to trim the emergency brake pedal to clear the driver's side speaker better. I'll probably shift the dimmer switch up and over a bit when I go to do insulation and carpeting. The USB connection is in the govebox.

But for now, she is ready for its first ling trip with me on Saturday.
Attached Images

Bill's Gallery
Old 02-17-2022, 07:06 PM   #41
OutlawDrifter

Nice work on the upgrades Bill!

Old 02-19-2022, 03:27 PM   #42
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Got the ole 70 out for it's first long run to Baton Rouge, about 135 miles. Oh-dark hundred and freezing for the south (36). I did learn I need to get the Vintage Air stuff off the shelf, inventoried and installed as basically there is no heat in the ole dude. Ed had told me the tins were pretty shot. I guess that is loose for they don't work at all. She ran great though no issues. Still was cold 37 when I got there. Met up and had breakfast with some of the brave club people, then headed on back home. Luckily the sun came out and it was in the high 50's on the way back.
Attached Images

Bill's Gallery
Old 02-21-2022, 09:02 PM   #43
LT7A

Cool. I'm glad the first big drive went well.
Old 02-22-2022, 04:36 PM   #44
GSFMECH
On the road

Nice upgrades Bill

Castro- 72 SWB. Ochre and White. 496/400 turbo, GV OD ,Dakota Digital dash , tilt, Vintage Air, PS, hydro boost, factory buckets, console, QA-1 Coil over suspension, 20/20"Billet Specialties Magnetos

72 SWB. Med blue. 454/400 turbo, tach, tilt, Stock AC, PS,PDB, factory buckets, console, ECE 4/6 drop w/ 2" blocks and C-notch, 20/20"Coys- Crashed and destroyed by drunk driver Sept 2019. New 72 build in the works.

My new build thread "Castro"
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=820934

My old build thread, the blue truck
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=271489

www.louisianaclassictruckclub.com
GSFMECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2022, 07:16 PM   #45
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Got energetic today and started stripping down the interior for insulation, sound deadening and new carpet. Out comes the seat and all the old rubber (decentagrated) matting and insulation. Whghile I was removing the matting I found some small hole and rusting by the drivers door. Years of poor door seals and sitting out in the rain left a bit of a mark. Not too bad, I just cut out the 2 small pieces in floor made some patches. The inner rocker had a couple spots I cut out and made a new patch for it. Just waiting for the seam sealer to arrive to add that as an extra bit of caution. I roughed up the whole floor and coated everthing in Eastwood Rust Encapsulator. I have always liked the stuff and happend to have it, so that is what got used. Before I put the sound deading down, I want to modified the seat bracket some, so that will be the next thing handled.
Attached Images

Bill's Gallery
Old 02-28-2022, 10:29 PM   #46
OutlawDrifter

Nice work Bill!

Old 03-01-2022, 09:18 PM   #47
Alex69c10

Nice work! Looks like a nice truck.

I used to live in Gulfport, just off Cowan and the i90. I miss the coast drives.
Alex69c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 07:35 PM   #48
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Got some more done yesterday and today. Yesterday I modified the 92 seat bracket so it would sit flat on the floor instead of shimming up the rear to match the front. In doing so, it also drops it about 3/4" from where it was. Thus giving a hair bit mor room for my old man thicker thighs.

I had some end pieces of an old wood bed cross brace that I used to cut and form the new piece. It was correct thickness and worked up pretty good new piece. Welded it in and did the second one. Cleaned up painted.

Test fitted the seat today and only thing is I had to lengthen the hole a hair on both sides maybe a 1/16" for it to line up. Once that was all straight line the interior floors with Peel N Seal. I have had very good luck in 3 other trucks with it, so used it again. Now I just have to wait for the new carpet and padding to show up. Decided to go with black carpet, since it had black rubber mats before and the greens just were not sitting with me well.
Attached Images

Bill's Gallery
Old 03-02-2022, 08:32 PM   #49
regan wilson

That came out nice.
Old 03-03-2022, 05:13 PM   #50
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Looks good Bill. You are getting a lot done on it.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote