The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-09-2023, 10:38 AM   #1
kwmech

Cyl head search

I have a 91 Suburban that is a little anemic in power and I am looking to upgrade the engine. I'm going after a scat 383 stroker kit. I need to 'beef' the heads --so to speak--as the factory TBI will probably not be up to the task. The VORTECS will not work as I need to retain all the smog (california). So I'm looking for something that has the heat cross over to retain the EGR system but still flow the additional cubes efficiently and still accept a TBI intake.

My other thought is to get an edelbrock performer manifold and bolt on a TBI adapter plate. But then a keen eye at the smog shop may spot the modification and turn it into a crap show

Last edited by kwmech; 01-09-2023 at 10:49 AM.
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 11:00 AM   #2
Rickysnickers

Re: Cyl head search

Here's a pair, https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...make/chevrolet Or an entire list of EO approved heads, https://www.summitracing.com/search/...ia-eo-approved
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2023, 02:54 PM   #3
mattfranklin

Interesting. Good to know about those EO products.
I looked a little further on Summit and found a link to this:
https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/sites/default...o/d-215-94.pdf
I guess if it's good for 1995 and later, it's probably ok for his '90?
Not sure how a smog referee would treat that one.
The online Summit catalog seemed to think it was ok.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=567340
mattfranklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 01:40 AM   #4
kwmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfranklin View Post
That link is good info! With the increase in cubes with the pistons available I may be looking for something in either the 72 or 76cc combustion chamber. I don't want to go over 9-1 compression ratio. Seems like nothing is available or out of stock. Even the Comp Cam K kits are all out on back order. I was trying to do this with somewhat of a budget, but as usual it got all blown to bits. I'm looking at 5-6k for an engine
Old 01-12-2023, 10:58 AM   #5
Rickysnickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattfranklin View Post
Technically speaking, no they would not be legal. The part(s) is/are only certified for the year model specified. I did not search for the year model, only smog legal heads. However, and with that said, I don't believe a 383 kit is going to be smog legal, unless there's an E.O. part number for the kit being installed.
Old 01-12-2023, 11:01 AM   #6
Rickysnickers

Here are a couple of links to CARB and parts list/search

https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/our-work/prog...-and-add-parts
https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/resources/doc...ecutive-orders
Old 01-12-2023, 12:54 PM   #7
kwmech

Quote:
Technically speaking, no they would not be legal. The part(s) is/are only certified for the year model specified. I did not search for the year model, only smog legal heads. However, and with that said, I don't believe a 383 kit is going to be smog legal, unless there's an E.O. part number for the kit being installed.
When they smog a vehicle, they have no way of determining cubic inches. They are looking to see if anything has been disconnected or tampered with. If everything is in place and functioning and passes tail pipe then it is a pass. Bright, shiny aluminum cyl heads would be a give-a-way and throw up a red flag and get the book opened, but if they are painted and look stock most techs won't catch on. I used to have my smog license years ago. After talking to the BAR for several years they really don't care about the cubes...I.E a small block is a small block. So if you swapped a 350 for a 305 it wasn't a big deal as long as everything the vehicle came with smog wise was on there and functioning and passed tail pipe you were golden
Old 01-12-2023, 01:18 PM   #8
Accelo

I don't understand why the VORTECS will not work? I am guessing the center bolt style valve covers would give them away?
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 02:35 PM   #9
truckster

Unless you put badges on it, there's no way anyone is going to know it's a 383.
Old 01-12-2023, 07:20 PM   #10
kwmech

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
I don't understand why the VORTECS will not work? I am guessing the center bolt style valve covers would give them away?
If I'm not mistaken the Vortecs do not have an EGR provision with out some creative fabrication. The TBI intake has the blow hole in the center like the older small blocks
Old 01-13-2023, 11:22 AM   #11
Rickysnickers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
When they smog a vehicle, they have no way of determining cubic inches. They are looking to see if anything has been disconnected or tampered with. If everything is in place and functioning and passes tail pipe then it is a pass. Bright, shiny aluminum cyl heads would be a give-a-way and throw up a red flag and get the book opened, but if they are painted and look stock most techs won't catch on. I used to have my smog license years ago. After talking to the BAR for several years they really don't care about the cubes...I.E a small block is a small block. So if you swapped a 350 for a 305 it wasn't a big deal as long as everything the vehicle came with smog wise was on there and functioning and passed tail pipe you were golden
Understood, as I said "technically speaking," adding cubes is still illegal. Will anyone know, most likely not.
Old 01-13-2023, 10:00 PM   #12
kwmech

Quote:
Understood, as I said "technically speaking," adding cubes is still illegal. Will anyone know, most likely not.
Not according to the BAR when I had my smog license. You rebuild an engine you are adding cubes. The Calif smog program as a whole is just another bureaucratic mess. The cars now-a-days can actually be cleaner than the air they take in-in certain metropolitan areas. It's all about big business and the smog credits they buy. Buy enough credits you can pollute all you want 'till you run out. Volcanic activity nullifies ALOT ..................along with countries that you can't breathe in on a daily basis...................... rant off