The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > All 4x4 Tech & Off Roading

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-26-2021, 05:32 PM   #1
chtr65

Leaf spring liners

Any one have any experience with the leaf spring liners on the market today? I have taken my front leaf springs apart, cleaned them down to the bare metal, primed and painted them. Now I am hearing that they should not have paint on them between each leaf. Someone at the local auto parts store has mentioned that he would leave them painted and just add the leaf spring liners. My springs are 2 1/2" wide, but the closest I find available are 2 1/4". I really don't want to strip the paint off of them. Although I could because I did not put the spring sets together yet. Will the 2 1/4" wide liners fit with my 2 1/2" wide springs? Thanks for any and all comments.
chtr65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 07:57 PM   #2
Richard2112

Re: Leaf spring liners

Four years and 3000 miles. No problems. Fully coated with truck bed liner and no leaf liners. I wire brushed each leaf, threated each with phosphoric acid, painted, installed new bushings, bolts. I've had no problems.
Attached Images

Richard2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 09:19 PM   #3
chtr65

Richard2112, Thanks for the great testimony. I actually can't imagine that paint in between springs would hinder the proper function of a spring. Especially when the weight of a truck moves up and then back down. Looks like I will put everything back together the way you did. How do your springs look after 3000 miles with the coating that you used?
chtr65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 09:54 PM   #4
Richard2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by chtr65 View Post
Richard2112, Thanks for the great testimony. I actually can't imagine that paint in between springs would hinder the proper function of a spring. Especially when the weight of a truck moves up and then back down. Looks like I will put everything back together the way you did. How do your springs look after 3000 miles with the coating that you used?
I used Rust-Oleum truck bed liner and it seems to do well. I had wire brushed the leafs and treated them with Ospho before painting. My truck is my daily driver so I don't dress it up frequently. But that stuff seems to be pretty durable and I've used it on my frame, back axle, front suspension, rear bumper, leaf springs, and bed parts. Seems to do well. I'll keep using it.
Richard2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 02:32 AM   #5
Richard

Springs have been painted for years. Metal is not left bare from the factory. The sliders at the tips of leafs and liners are fairly new regarding leaf spring "tech" Seems like nonsense to me.
Richard is offline   Reply With Quote