The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-05-2013, 09:20 AM   #1
Tang-TheOrangeCrush

Exclamation Need Signal Light Help!

Hey guys, Im new here but i always find myself here looking for answers. So here's my problem and i haven't seen anyone with a similar issue:

My front left signal light is dim, but will blink full speed in Park and while driving. However in Drive, at a stop, it will begin to blink slowly and then stop blinking all together until i begin moving again.

It is only this one light, all the others are great. I recently added rear LEDs so i understand that without the rear left hand bulb, the left side cannot trip the flasher, but i dont think this is a flasher issue. I moved the ground of the troubled light to a new spit and it worked for two days then went back to the same pattern.

The wires are brown, which goes to the park light, purple which goes to Narnia, and blue which goes to Mordor. And i have no idea which one could be the problem. Any ideas guys?
Posted via Mobile Device
Tang-TheOrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Re: Need Signal Light Help!

Here's a place to start

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=185665
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:48 AM   #3
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tang-TheOrangeCrush View Post
............My front left signal light is dim, but will blink full speed in Park and while driving. However in Drive, at a stop, it will begin to blink slowly and then stop blinking all together until i begin moving again............Posted via Mobile Device

Sounds like a good bug... Is it only the left signal light that does this?

Possibilities are a defective bulb, rusted or or bad contacts in bulb housing or weak grounds in the truck.

First thing I would check is the alternator voltage to the battery at idle while in park then in drive with the parking brake set and wheels chocked or someone standing on the brakes. Voltage should be at least 13.5 vdc or better. Then maybe trace back the wires and check for any corrosion on the connections.
I just want a vehicle that I can work on, that won't talk to me, leave error msgs or keep track of how I drive...
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 10:55 AM   #4
Tang-TheOrangeCrush

Yea its just that one light. The others are bright and responsive. I've changed bulbs too and no difference. The contacts look good so im thinking a ground but im no electrician by any means.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #5
hayhauler71

I have had this problem and on mine it was the socket itself where it is pressed into the housing was bad to test this take a jumper cable and clamp it to the socket housing itself [not the whole light housing] and see what happens. It can be fixed by soldering the socket to the housing assembly or by replacing the light assembly. Hope this helps
Old 02-05-2013, 11:20 AM   #6
Tang-TheOrangeCrush

Thanks guys. I'll look into it further when i gets chance. I appreciate your help.
Posted via Mobile Device