The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board > 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-28-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
thor

Re: Project Swagger

Interesting side note. This weekend I saw the Jimmy from By Design Auto Group at a mexican restaurant near my house. Almost stopped but didn't want to bother anyone eating dinner. Later, my wife and I are going for a walk in our neighborhood when I hear a familiar rumble. It is the same Jimmy. I talked to the guy. He loves it, except for the huge wheels. Anywho, just a fun side story.

Good luck with the build!

thor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:37 PM   #2
matthew79

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor View Post
Interesting side note. This weekend I saw the Jimmy from By Design Auto Group at a mexican restaurant near my house. Almost stopped but didn't want to bother anyone eating dinner. Later, my wife and I are going for a walk in our neighborhood when I hear a familiar rumble. It is the same Jimmy. I talked to the guy. He loves it, except for the huge wheels. Anywho, just a fun side story.

Good luck with the build!
Ha, that's great how you met the owner! I've wondered who they were and how they liked the jimmy. That really concerns me though about what they said about the wheels. I thought they looked great with the 37" mud grapplers but maybe not so much in person. Oh well. I also have a set of rally wheels just in case..
Thanks for that neat story!!

Last edited by matthew79; 03-28-2011 at 01:39 PM.
matthew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 03:46 PM   #3
thor

IIRC, the wheels they have are 22's. Prolly too big to get a decent ride. I think 17's would be great, maybe even 18's, but only with a larger tire. I heard a good rule of thumb - Never get wheels larger than half of the tire height. So, run some 35-37's with a 17 in. wheel, or 40's with those 20 in. wheels. Or 44's with the 22's, or....

Old 03-28-2011, 04:08 PM   #4
matthew79

Quote:
Originally Posted by thor View Post
IIRC, the wheels they have are 22's. Prolly too big to get a decent ride. I think 17's would be great, maybe even 18's, but only with a larger tire. I heard a good rule of thumb - Never get wheels larger than half of the tire height. So, run some 35-37's with a 17 in. wheel, or 40's with those 20 in. wheels. Or 44's with the 22's, or....
Well how did the wheels look to you in person? I really like them in the pics. I'm not too concerned with ride harshness I just don't want to look ghetto..
Posted via Mobile Device
matthew79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 08:21 PM   #5
thor

The size of tire is great but the wheel looked a touch big. Actually, to use the owner's words, "It looks like a Matchbox car." I'd go with more sidewall, especially for a lifted truck. I think it would still look good with 37's on 20's instead of the 22's. But then again, I always say to build your rig your way.