The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Tools, Shops and Shop Safety

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-25-2014, 08:42 AM   #1
bnoon

Homemade piston pin press

1 foot section of threaded rod, two coupling nuts (to get a LOT more thread engagement to reduce stripping threads), a 3" section of 1" threaded pipe with the threads ground down on one side to clear the rest of the piston, an old 5/8" socket hollowed out to slip over the 5/8 threaded rod, and some washers. Whole thing costs less than 10 bucks from Home Depot.

Tighten the nuts (either side) and the socket will push the pin into the hollow threaded pipe. When the pin comes free, the piston becomes all wobbly, so you know right when it happens. Super easy!!!

I tried 1/2" threaded rod, but stripped it out after the first 3 pistons the other day. 5/8" just barely fit these pins, it will not fit through some pins though, so measure yours to be sure what you can use. If I had used hardened threaded rod or had better condition (clean) parts, it may have worked fine.

NOTE: Miracle Grow will hopefully add 30 to 40 cubic inches...
Attached Images

bnoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 11:31 AM   #2
Bigdav160

Re: Homemade piston pin press

Looks like you're pushing against the piston. My store bought (OTC I think) piston press pushes against the connecting rod.
'73 Z-28 Camaro
'63 Ford SWB Uni Pickup
'50 Ford Coupe
Bigdav160 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 12:32 PM   #3
ka_jd7and1
is a fungineer

If you were just removing junk pistons from rods, it wouldn't matter if you were pushing on the piston or not. Installing might be a different story.

Thanks for the idea bnoon, now I've got a project for this weekend!

2003 S10, 2.2 auto- the daily driver, currently with a 2"/2" drop and some minor engine bolt-ons

1978 Impala 2-door, race 350/T350 - the new race car, in progress

1968 Chevy C10 longbed- 3/5 drop, currently undergoing a heart transplant
ka_jd7and1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 01:08 PM   #4
bnoon

Yes it pushes against the piston. I have only ever used it to remove old junk pistons, but I've never cracked one either and believe me, these ones were STUCK! They sat for 13-14 years and barely came out of the bores! I couldnt even rotate the engine and thought the whole engine was stuck with spun bearings or something. Turns out the pistons were pretty much glued in place LOL!

To install floating pins, you heat the small end of the rod with LP or MAPP gas, then quickly push the pin through the rod and piston. You litterally have seconds to work with it before it cools too much that it can get stuck halfway on. Search youtube for videos on that part.
Old 04-25-2014, 01:16 PM   #5
GRX

Nice idea. Thanks for sharing. I do this sort of thing for a living. Don't think I'd press against new pistons, especially cast hypereutectic types which are more brittle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnoon View Post
To install floating pins, you heat the small end of the rod with LP or MAPP gas, then quickly push the pin through the rod and piston. You litterally have seconds to work with it before it cools too much that it can get stuck halfway on. Search youtube for videos on that part.
Wait .... heating the rod to install press fit wrist pins is standard procedure. Full floaters are just that. No press fit. They have a bushing in the rod for specific clearance so the pin can move freely. That's why they're floaters. A groove in the piston along with retaining clips keep the wrist pin in place.

Last edited by GRX; 04-25-2014 at 01:26 PM. Reason: wait ...
GRX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 09:32 PM   #6
bnoon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRX View Post
Nice idea. Thanks for sharing. I do this sort of thing for a living. Don't think I'd press against new pistons, especially cast hypereutectic types which are more brittle.
Wait .... heating the rod to install press fit wrist pins is standard procedure. Full floaters are just that. No press fit. They have a bushing in the rod for specific clearance so the pin can move freely. That's why they're floaters. A groove in the piston along with retaining clips keep the wrist pin in place.
Oops, I had two ideas in my head... one for floating and one for pressed and then I typed the wrong one. I would never actually use this to press pistons on either becausr the heat method is so much easier.