The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-20-2021, 11:32 AM   #1
scott123

1969 K10 power steering

Pulled the truck in the shop a year or so ago. Pulled it out a few weeks ago and the steering is all over the place.

The steering wheel will turn close to a full revolution, the rag joint the same and the input shaft to the box the same, but it takes a full revolution for the lower out put shaft to turn.

Bought a new box from NAPA. Exact same problem. I pulled the box and replaced it with another from NAPA.

Again, exact same problem.

If I turn the shaft by hand off the truck the input and out put shafts move together with no play.

No whining from the pump, bled the box the only way I know how, no drag, no binding. The wheel turns as freely as all get out.

Just three boxes with an extra revolution before the box engages.

Can it be the pump? Same pump I started with years ago when I got the truck.

Stumped.

Scott
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 11:37 AM   #2
Davidf

Re: 1969 K10 power steering

You need someone watching the input shaft of the box as you turn the steering wheel. Have that person work their way up the shaft until you find the problem. If the box input and output shaft are turning with the steering wheel, then the problem is in the steering linkage. Look for frame flexing as you turn the wheel. Did anyone remove the front frame crossmember?
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2021, 01:44 PM   #3
scott123

Re: 1969 K10 power steering

Yep. Done it both ways.

There is no inner fender so I can turn the wheel and see the box. But have done it with my son at the wheel. Rag joint turns with the wheel. The input shaft turns with the wheel.

Three boxes with the same problem.

I think sometimes I am the guy that originates all the weird 'never seen that one' problems in the shop. LOL

Still plugging away.

Scott
scott123 is offline   Reply With Quote