The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-20-2021, 01:51 PM   #1
scottmitchellrose

steering column pulls out!

POsting for a friend- Have a ’67 C-10 that had a bad lower bearing on the steering shaft since I bought the truck ~6 years ago. It has a straight (non-tilt) steering wheel. Used to be a three on the tree, but has been 4 on the floor since before I purchased. In June I was manhandling it through an intersection (no power steering) and something went ‘snap’ and the steering wheel was now spinning in my hands unconnected to the wheels!

It appears (per another post on this forum) that the race of the bad bearing had slowly cut through about 20% of the steering rod until it sheared in half under load. You can see the in pictures. I initially thought the shaft came in two pieces and some connection between them had broken, and I had to find a ~37in. replacement for the upper bit. But now I think I’m supposed to find a ~5 foot single shaft that will go all the way from the steering wheel to down where it bolts to he steering business by the wheels. So the ask…

1. I haven’t been able to find this part in the catalogs. Does anyone know how to find it (the long single shaft)?
2. My mechanic says it will be cheaper (his labor) to just replace this shaft but is it smarter to just replace the whole column? I’d guess the answer to that may depend on how good the replacement column is.

i have a few pics i can email- can't figure out how to attach here.
scottmitchellrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 01:57 PM   #2
Thealien

Re: steering column pulls out!

Personally I think it would be less labor to just replace that center shaft. Probably not going to be able to find that shaft for sale new. There are a few vendors on this site who may be able to help you with a used one. You could place a want to buy ad looking for what you need but you need to be a paying member to post want to buy ads.

With that being said I have no idea the condition of the rest of your steering column including upper and lower bearings. That information may change my thoughts towards replacing the whole column.
Thealien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 03:25 PM   #3
MARKDTN

I think I would just find a used column and put it in.
'07 Tahoe(Son driving)
'14 Suburban-DD
'71 C10-current project
MARKDTN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2021, 04:39 PM   #4
Grumpy old man

It sounds like now would be a good time to upgrade to power steering and a new column . I wouldn't waste my time trying to find a used 67 column to rebuild what you have when for about the same costs after buying the parts and shipping and labor you could buy a good non tilt rebuilt ready to install .

contact member anew4961 . he's in Burlington NC

1967 Factory short bed - Old school
'71 - 350 / 4bolt / 487 heads / Edelbrock C3BX
Muncie M-22 4 speed / Hurst Comp plus
Factory 12 bolt posi 3.73 / 255-70-15
Smoothed firewall / Factory cowl induction
Power disc brakes / power steering / 3.5-5" drop
Grumpy old man is offline   Reply With Quote