The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-09-2022, 07:53 PM   #26
72SB

Re: Engine Sounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by schovil69 View Post
Does anyone have a solution for getting rid of the faulty lifters? Do vendors take them back? Does Comp Cams take them?
IDK what, if any, warranty there is on the lifters. If you got them from Summit, they are good on customer service if that applies. I suspect at best you would just get a replacement set. Comp "customer service" call....??

I assume you would need a receipt and it would have to of been a relatively recent purchase

Otherwise find a trash or recycle container of choice and chalk it up to shiat happens...and yeah it sucks
72SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2022, 08:12 PM   #27
RichardJ

Someone mentioned counting the number of threads exposed above the adjuster nut. That is always a good idea.
If you think the noise is coming from any one or more valve train assemblies, Run the engine and grab ahold of each individual rocker arm with your fingers. Oily mess, but it won't bite you. You will feel the noise, in sync with the sound you are hearing.

>> a socket does not fit around the nut when the rocker is in the valve closed position.<<
Are the rocker arms binding? Did you check rocker geometry? Did you check push rod length?
Old 09-13-2022, 12:59 PM   #28
schovil69

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72SB View Post
IDK what, if any, warranty there is on the lifters. If you got them from Summit, they are good on customer service if that applies. I suspect at best you would just get a replacement set. Comp "customer service" call....??

I assume you would need a receipt and it would have to of been a relatively recent purchase

Otherwise find a trash or recycle container of choice and chalk it up to shiat happens...and yeah it sucks
I found a transaction number for a purchase I made from Summit using Paypal with an amount that would be suitable for the cam and lifters purchase, just need to call 'em and see if anything can be done.
schovil69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2022, 01:04 PM   #29
schovil69

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
Someone mentioned counting the number of threads exposed above the adjuster nut. That is always a good idea.
If you think the noise is coming from any one or more valve train assemblies, Run the engine and grab ahold of each individual rocker arm with your fingers. Oily mess, but it won't bite you. You will feel the noise, in sync with the sound you are hearing.

>> a socket does not fit around the nut when the rocker is in the valve closed position.<<
Are the rocker arms binding? Did you check rocker geometry? Did you check push rod length?
Yeah, I thought it was odd too so when I did check rocker geometry and noticed this issue it caught my attention. Check, check, and re-check came back with the same length of pushrod. I will get to do that all over again with the new Howard's roller lifters. They are a bit taller than the Comp Cams roller lifters.
Old 09-13-2022, 01:05 PM   #30
72SB

I have found Summit to be very good regarding returns and fixes for incorrect part. Ideally your documentation will give them enough info to search for your purchase order #. If you have an account set up online you can click the "my account" and then "orders & return" tab to get the actual receipt
72SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2022, 04:57 PM   #31
schovil69

I hurt my arm a few weeks back and haven't been wrenching much.

Using a priming tool I got the oil pumping up to the rockers. Not all rockers were getting oil, though. This, combined with the noise I've been listening to and others reporting issues with these lifters, has convinced me the lifters are the issue. I had a set of Howards roller lifters sent over.

As of Saturday the lifters are removed from the engine. I need to determine push rod length then reassemble. My plan is to use the difference in lifter seat heights between the Comp Cams and Howards versions to get the pushrod length followed by a verification using an adjustable pushrod. The pushrods I just removed are 7.1" long and the Comp Cams roller lifters have a seat height of 2.470". With the Howards roller lifters seat height at 2.661" the pushrods I now need should be 6.909". If this checks out with a good pattern on the valve stem I will use Comp Cams 7631-16.

It's darn shame to have to tear apart this good looking engine. The silver lining here is the engine doesn't need to come out for work to get done.
Old 09-28-2022, 06:01 PM   #32
RichardJ

>>Not all rockers were getting oil, though.<<

As a side note, since you already have new lifters.
Did you rotate the engine while you were checking oil to the rockers?
Old 09-28-2022, 07:42 PM   #33
pontiacvince

I have been experiencing intermittent ticking noises in my engine this week. I am very afraid that it is the CompCams Lifters that were in the kit I got.
Attached Images

pontiacvince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 11:00 AM   #34
schovil69

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardJ View Post
>>Not all rockers were getting oil, though.<<

As a side note, since you already have new lifters.
Did you rotate the engine while you were checking oil to the rockers?
I did not rotate the engine while using the priming tool.
Old 09-29-2022, 11:01 AM   #35
schovil69

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacvince View Post
I have been experiencing intermittent ticking noises in my engine this week. I am very afraid that it is the CompCams Lifters that were in the kit I got.
I haven't heard anything about Comp Cams' flat tappet hydraulic lifters. You should be okay there. There are, however, extra precautions one must take when performing the initial startup with flat tappet lifters.
Old 09-30-2022, 08:35 PM   #36
garyd1961

Fuel pump?
garyd1961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 11:16 AM   #37
Haligan34

I built a new motor about two years ago and shortly after I noticed what sounded like a slight lifter tick on the passenger side at idle. I went through the usual suspects all was good. Found it to be the pcv valve clicking with the low vacuum of the cam at idle. Just put your finger on the pcv valve and you'll feel if it's that. Good luck.
Haligan34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2022, 12:40 PM   #38
schovil69

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyd1961 View Post
Fuel pump?
The thought of it being the fuel pump has crossed my mind. The location of the noise just didn't warrant further investigation in that area.
Old 10-02-2022, 12:41 PM   #39
schovil69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haligan34 View Post
I built a new motor about two years ago and shortly after I noticed what sounded like a slight lifter tick on the passenger side at idle. I went through the usual suspects all was good. Found it to be the pcv valve clicking with the low vacuum of the cam at idle. Just put your finger on the pcv valve and you'll feel if it's that. Good luck.
It may not be as audible in the video but this noise is nothing of slight. That, and it is present with the valve covers removed.
Old 10-02-2022, 12:45 PM   #40
schovil69

Thanks for the continuing replies, gentleman. I truly appreciate all of the different perspectives leading me to consider potential causes for this noise that I may not have otherwise considered.

I mentioned a video in my previous post then noticed there is no video posted. Here's the video I was referring to,

Edit: After several attempts to upload the video, it has become clear to me that the video's length or 'size' is too large. Unfortunately, I do not have another video to consider for posting here.
Old 10-02-2022, 06:23 PM   #41
Accelo

Post the video to YouTube and post the link?
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2022, 12:52 PM   #42
schovil69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
Post the video to YouTube and post the link?
I'd rather not contribute to that website.
Old 10-11-2022, 12:13 PM   #43
schovil69

So, I installed the Howard's lifters, new pushrods, and rockers a week ago...haven't been able to get back over there to complete the install and start it up. Got the rocker pre-load complete. Install intake, carb, hoses, fill radiator, oil change and it should be good to go. Not certain when I will get to complete this, need to finish the head gasket change project on a nephew's Equinox first. Not enough time in a day.
Old 10-18-2022, 12:25 PM   #44
schovil69

The weekend was productive. I was able to button up my nephew's head gasket job on Saturday for his 2005 Equinox and get him back on the road. So, Sunday, I went over and finished reassembly of the pickup engine. I allowed some cure time on the RTV used under the intake and waited until Monday to fire it up.

Results are the engine ran poorly with a very rich smelling exhaust. Since I intended to just fire it up and maybe adjust the timing I was not prepared, nor did I have time, for diving into it any further last night. I believe some rockers are adjusted too tight leaving some valves off their seats. It sure sounds like it, anyways. That, or I somehow managed to drop the distributor in on the wrong tooth. I am happy to report there does not appear to be any noise coming from the valvetrain. Hopefully, tonight will be the last time I have to mess with it.

Last edited by schovil69; 10-18-2022 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-21-2022, 06:31 PM   #45
schovil69

Checked the distributor and it was dead on so I climbed under the pickup and removed the three torque converter bolts to gain access to the flywheel bolts. There was not enough space to get a wrench in there and I was not able to push the converter back far enough to make a difference. But, we figured starting it with the converter disconnected would help eliminate the flywheel as the culprit of this new sound. No such luck so back together that went.

The next thought was maybe the rotor was hitting the cap. Getting to the distributor I immediately saw two hold-downs were not latched, so latched 'em and fired it up. The sound persisted, engine runs good, revs good, hold the RPM's up for a bit and the noise *POOF*...it disappeared. Ensure the timing was set and adjusted the idle then took it for a short cruise through the neighborhood. Project New Engine is complied with.