The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-04-2022, 04:55 PM   #101
C101972

Re: Boyd Tank Installation

I feel for you! and surely don’t like what I am hearing. Maybe put a little #2 permatax on the bolts, should not have to do anything to the gasket. I like to use just a little Vaseline on new gaskets. It helps them adhere to the metal. But used you might have to use #2 permatax as well. Good luck with it. Thanks Chuck
Posted via Mobile Device
C101972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 07:22 PM   #102
AllGoNoShow

Off topic question but I’m at this point with my Boyd tank install… How did you go about cutting the hole in the bed to ensure everything is lined up correctly? Was bed on or did you just take a lot of measurements and cut the hole with it off, or start with a small hole so you could see how it is lined up?! Figure I would ask someone who has done it.
Posted via Mobile Device
AllGoNoShow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2022, 07:24 PM   #103
C101972

I went with side fill, fill spout behind taillight. Thanks Chuck
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-04-2022, 07:27 PM   #104
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGoNoShow View Post
Off topic question but I’m at this point with my Boyd tank install… How did you go about cutting the hole in the bed to ensure everything is lined up correctly? Was bed on or did you just take a lot of measurements and cut the hole with it off, or start with a small hole so you could see how it is lined up?! Figure I would ask someone who has done it.
Posted via Mobile Device
The bed was on, so I installed the filler neck hose on the tank and raised the tank up onto the mounting studs until the hose touched the bottom of the bed floor. Then I used a silver Sharpie to mark the outline of the hose on the bottom of the bed floor. I then drilled a 1/4" hole in the middle of the marked outline and used a hole saw from the top. Take a look at post #5 in this thread.

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...47&postcount=5
pjmoreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 12:55 AM   #105
pjmoreland

I dropped my tank this evening to put thread sealant on the pump mounting screws. While I was at it, I rerouted the vent hose to the rear left stake pocket. I installed a Dorman 924-284 vent on the end of it to keep water out.
Attached Images

Old 02-05-2022, 11:22 AM   #106
Jason Banks

I wasn't going to put anything on my Boyd's tank rollover vent. Maybe I didn't read the instructions. Is it necessary to put a hose on there?
Jason Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2022, 12:05 PM   #107
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Banks View Post
I wasn't going to put anything on my Boyd's tank rollover vent. Maybe I didn't read the instructions. Is it necessary to put a hose on there?
I had fuel dribbling out of the first hose I had on the vent because the end of it was only a couple of inches higher than the top of the tank. I think you will have fuel leaking out if you don't put a hose on there. I think the end of the hose needs to be higher than the top of the filler neck.
Old 02-06-2022, 03:28 AM   #108
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
I dropped my tank this evening to put thread sealant on the pump mounting screws. While I was at it, I rerouted the vent hose to the rear left stake pocket. I installed a Dorman 924-284 vent on the end of it to keep water out.
Thread sealant on both the pump and level sensor mounting screws along with the vent hose routed to the stake pocket appear to have solved the leaks and gas smell. I filled the tank way to the top earlier today, and no fuel has leaked out. The garage is free of gas smell for the first time in a while.
Old 02-06-2022, 08:05 AM   #109
C101972

If the tank was pressurized then the new vent on rollover valve probably eliminated the leaks. Glad you got it fixed, now go out and have fun with your truck! Thanks Chuck
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-07-2022, 10:33 PM   #110
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Glad you got that solved and won't catch on fire! :-)

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2022, 11:02 PM   #111
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich72C10 View Post
Glad you got that solved and won't catch on fire! :-)
I agree!
Old 02-07-2022, 11:05 PM   #112
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

I suppose that was a bit of an understatement!! Who the heck wants to catch on fire... well unless you are Metallica ha!

Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Old 02-07-2022, 11:08 PM   #113
pjmoreland

Quote:
I suppose that was a bit of an understatement!! Who the heck wants to catch on fire... well unless you are Metallica ha!
For some dumb reason I was more annoyed by the constant smell of gas in my garage than by the threat of a fire.
Old 02-07-2022, 11:16 PM   #114
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Oh, I know the feeling (smell, not risk of fire).

I went on a whole mission in restoring my charcoal canister a year or so ago that my brother fudged up and said I really didn't need it. Funny thing, now in the for sale forum there has been tons of them for sale (even NOS I think). Oh well, I know how to pull it apart and "recharge" it now. So I guess that is a win ;-)

Old 02-07-2022, 11:19 PM   #115
pjmoreland

Quote:
Oh, I know the feeling (smell, not risk of fire).

I went on a whole mission in restoring my charcoal canister a year or so ago that my brother fudged up and said I really didn't need it. Funny thing, now in the for sale forum there has been tons of them for sale (even NOS I think). Oh well, I know how to pull it apart and "recharge" it now. So I guess that is a win ;-)
Sounds like a win to me, especially if the fuel smell is gone.
Old 02-07-2022, 11:20 PM   #116
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

100% gone - like poof! That thing works I tell you.

Old 02-08-2022, 10:25 AM   #117
67C10Step

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGoNoShow View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
If your bed is off this is the process I used. My tank was installed before the bed so I laid my wood and strips out (multiple times) until I was absolutely happy with the gaps and fit. Pulled the piece that would have the in bed filler and cut a piece of cardboard that was the same width as the board and long enough to go from the rear sill to the first cross piece. I then put the rubber hose on the tank and smeared grease all around its circumference. Carefully placing the piece of cardboard where the wood would be transferred where the hole should be to the cardboard. I could then line the cardboard piece up on the wood, drill a hole through the center of the grease outline and through the board. This then lined up the hole saw center. Also, I had to order a 3-3/4" hole saw as 4" was just a bit too big for my comfort in having enough room for the screws.
Attached Images

2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2022, 03:31 PM   #118
pjmoreland

Just got back from a 5-day trip and there is a little puddle if gas on the floor under my tank. I think it might be coming from the fuel pump. I'm getting tired of this issue.
Attached Images

Old 02-10-2022, 03:41 PM   #119
C101972

I can’t imagine what you are going through, you are getting to be an expert of your tank removal for all the wrong reasons. I guess give Boyd a call? Hang in there and thanks again for the update. Thanks and be safe. Chuck
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-10-2022, 04:37 PM   #120
pjmoreland

The fuel is somehow wicking down the wires from the sender and pump. It could be that I have a leaky fuel hose fitting that is dripping on the wires. I ran the pump for about 5 minutes and I did not see or feel any fuel leaking anywhere. It does seem to be related to having the tank so full that fuel is inside the filler neck. It sure would be a whole lot easier to diagnose this if the bed weren't installed.
Old 02-11-2022, 02:10 PM   #121
Big Kev-O

Sorry to hear about all the trouble. One of the reasons I relocated the tank was to solve the gas smell issue. Day after I installed my Boyd tank the wife asks if I spilled gas in the garage. I go out and the garage smells worse than when it had the cab tank. If I plug the roll over vent line smell goes away so I know it is coming from the rollover tube. I have been following this thread to see if you had the same issue. It is my understanding a rollover valve will allow your tank to breathe and not build up pressure or vacuum during normal operation while serving as a safety in case of rollover. As fuel is drawn from the tank, the rollover valves allow air to return to the tank so a vacuum situation is avoided. Wouldn't adding the Dorman axle vent prevent the rollover valve from allowing air back in the tank? I believe axle vents are just one way valves designed to prevent pressure from building inside your axle. I assume this would cause your tank to go into vacuum as the fuel is consumed.

I almost purchased that axle valve but now I have come to the conclusion a charcoal canister may be the way to go.

I hope you get your leak solved. Seems like for every one step forward I take four steps back with this truck. Guess that's the cost of being so damn cool. At least that's what I tell myself.
Old 02-11-2022, 02:46 PM   #122
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Kev-O View Post
Wouldn't adding the Dorman axle vent prevent the rollover valve from allowing air back in the tank? I believe axle vents are just one way valves designed to prevent pressure from building inside your axle. I assume this would cause your tank to go into vacuum as the fuel is consumed.
The Dorman valve is basically free-flowing for exhausting pressure from the tank, and then it is restricted, but not closed, for air going into the tank as the tank is emptied. I did a VERY scientific test of this by blowing and sucking on it with my mouth. It does not close all the way in the suck direction. It has a little metal cap on it that is attached loosely. The cap pops up to let pressure out. Inbound flow causes the cap to seat down, but it only restricts the flow without stopping it. I see no particular benefit of this behavior for this application, but I don't see it as a problem. I just wanted something on the end of the vent hose that would minimize the chance of water getting into the tank.

Last edited by pjmoreland; 09-28-2022 at 03:53 PM.
Old 02-11-2022, 02:50 PM   #123
Big Kev-O

Thanks for the info pjmoreland! Sounds perfect for this application.
Old 03-25-2022, 04:41 PM   #124
pjmoreland

I have a couple sets of the mounting studs available that I used to mount my tank:

https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...d.php?t=829891
Old 07-13-2022, 01:14 AM   #125
pjmoreland

I've continued to have the issue where fuel would seep out of the tank somehow when the tank is completely full even after I put sealant on the pump and sender mounting screw threads and tightened them down securely. I believe I have found a solution. I think this seepage has been happening due to pressure building up in the tank and having no way to get out. The roll-over safety valve I ordered with the tank that was installed in the vent hole appears to have a check valve inside it, in addition to the loose fitting check ball. This internal check valve gets stuck shut if anything tries to flow out of the tank. It takes a surprising amount of pressure in the direction into the tank to open this check valve once it has closed.

I replaced the safety roll-over valve with an open fitting this evening and then drove to the gas station and filled my tank as full as I could get it. I have been watching the tank for an hour or so now, and no fuel is seeping out anywhere.

Since my truck has a carburetor, the fuel floats would allow fuel to drain out of the carb in a roll-over, so I'm thinking I'm not really giving much up safety-wise, by eliminating the valve.
Attached Images

Last edited by pjmoreland; 09-28-2022 at 03:55 PM.