The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-23-2021, 10:27 PM   #201
62bagger

Re: All about heaters.

I am putting the recirculating heater back in my 62 and I was wondering if the hot water circulates all the time heating the cab in the summer? I didn't see any bypass valve when I took it out. The heater hoses were disconnected when I got the truck so I am not sure if I have all the parts.
62bagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 10:31 PM   #202
val1gonzales

This might help you. http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=668084
val1gonzales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2021, 11:38 PM   #203
cwcarpenter98

Quote:
Originally Posted by 62bagger View Post
I am putting the recirculating heater back in my 62 and I was wondering if the hot water circulates all the time heating the cab in the summer? I didn't see any bypass valve when I took it out. The heater hoses were disconnected when I got the truck so I am not sure if I have all the parts.
Unless you have a valve to turn the flow off, it will run all the time. On my truck, I had some old valve that was cable actuated with the deluxe heater controls, but I have the recirc heater. It leaked and I couldn't find a replacement, so I put a manual valve in place. After leaving the valve on several times in the summer, I decided to replace the manual valve with a cable actuated valve. It's a metal valve from a 60s F100, but it works well and I don't have to pop the hood to turn the flow on or off. So much nicer that way

Edit to add pics. First is the Ferd valve, second is the controls. The air knob doesn't do anything but sit there and look nice
Attached Images

1963 C10 - Frankentruck 283, 3 speed with overdrive
Overdrive wiring here
1963-ish truck bed trailer - Half-Wit

1981 C10 - Penny 305, th350

1995 Dodge Dakota Sport

"I'll put it simple: if you're going hard enough left, you'll find yourself turning right." - Doc Hudson

Last edited by cwcarpenter98; 09-23-2021 at 11:55 PM.
cwcarpenter98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 12:52 AM   #204
62bagger

Thanks for the info and the picture. I guess ill be looking at a manual valve.
62bagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2021, 03:59 PM   #205
AcampoDave

I put a manual valve on mine too. It's from the hardware store plumbing dept.
Attached Images

AcampoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2021, 08:31 PM   #206
karlbenz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
I put a manual valve on mine too. It's from the hardware store plumbing dept.
So you just need one? It doesn't need to circulate?
Old 09-27-2021, 08:53 PM   #207
AcampoDave

It's never been a problem. At first I was concerned about which side of the heater to put it on. You know, like perhaps I would be over pressurizing the core or whatever, so I googled it "nine ways 'till Sunday" and came up with no concrete case of anyone harming their heater core by putting a shut off on one side vs. the other. Ten summers later and still good.
Old 09-27-2021, 08:59 PM   #208
karlbenz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcampoDave View Post
It's never been a problem. At first I was concerned about which side of the heater to put it on. You know, like perhaps I would be over pressurizing the core or whatever, so I googled it "nine ways 'till Sunday" and came up with no concrete case of anyone harming their heater core by putting a shut off on one side vs. the other. Ten summers later and still good.
Thanks
Old 09-27-2021, 10:13 PM   #209
AcampoDave

If you do what I did, be cautious about what kind of fitting you thread into your water pump. Pipe nipples are tapered and there's not a lot of metal around the threaded socket of the water pump. Too much torque on the threads can crack the pump as you drive the expanding thread size into the socket. I did use a pipe nipple and teflon tape, but would have preferred an automotive nipple with a uniform thread diameter. Its just that my usual parts store didnt have it in stock when I wanted it, and the pipe nipple was already in my plumbing junk bin. The valve is simply a bronze ball vave rated for water/steam pressure.

Last edited by AcampoDave; 09-27-2021 at 10:19 PM.
Old 12-04-2021, 05:48 PM   #210
G8rN@te61

So I just sent all day switching out the radiator, patch welding the cut up heater box to just find out the heater core I purchased for my truck is incorrect. I think I have the deluxe heater as previously stated because I have a hole on top and a hole in front with the cable coming into the box. Wondering which heater core I need to get? I found this recirculating one online at CJ pony parts.
Attached Images

G8rN@te61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 10:35 PM   #211
AcampoDave

Many have turned to the vendors like LMC but I found one in my local auto parts store where the application said it was a fresh air deluxe. It was close enough that I only had to enlarge the opening for the hose barbs on the cover plate the cover plate a tad with a Dremmel.

Edit: Mine was a "thrift air" originally and I opened the plate to accommodate the deluxe core...see post #190 as he did that too.
Old 12-05-2021, 08:23 AM   #212
G8rN@te61

10-4 I guess thats what ill have to do. Although my heater box is different than his as mine is a '61 with the deluxe. I am wondering if I can find one that fits and modify connections with shark bite connectors.

Last edited by G8rN@te61; 12-05-2021 at 08:36 AM.
G8rN@te61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2021, 06:05 PM   #213
verdell

I'm working on what I believe is a '60-'63 Deluxe heater box and trying to figure out how to remove the metal blower fan from the motor? So far I've been able to slide it about 1/4" off the motor shaft but that's it. No set screw or nut to remove. Any ideas from subject matter experts?
Attached Images

verdell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2021, 10:54 PM   #214
AcampoDave

I tried getting one off of there myself once too. It was my stock metal one and I wanted to swap it out with the plastic one that came on my new motor. Wouldn't come off so I just went with the new motor as it came. Plastic one is still working great though after many years.
Old 03-24-2022, 03:09 AM   #215
Pick121

Heater control knob settings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
OK you heater experts, hopefully one of you can help my poor old brain out. I have 64 with deluxe heater. Finally getting things hooked up, but what I am wondering is what does each slider do.

Is up the neutral position?

I would assume that the heat one is temperature and the down position is a hotter heat, correct?

What does the center one do beside turn the fan on. There is a cable, but for the life of me can't figure what function it is doing?

The def slider, if that to change from defrost (down) to heat (up)?

Sorry if it sounds like stupid questions, but I haven't found any explanation anywhere and use to controls with different labeling.

Oh the only clear picture I had was one before I replaced all the arms.

Thanks all
I know this is an old post but, maybe others have the same questions. Here is what I found regarding the control knob settings for the 60-63 and also the 64-66. I have a 63 with 2 knobs and a 64 deluxe so, good to know both!
Attached Images

Last edited by Pick121; 03-24-2022 at 03:13 AM. Reason: Changed title
Pick121 is offline   Reply With Quote