The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-01-2021, 03:23 PM   #1
bosco

Steele Rubber door seals

Steele Rubber lists two different door seals for the TF trucks. One is original (Round) and the other is listed as smaller. Looking for opinions on why the difference between the two and reasons for using one over the other. In the process of installing Altman latches and shop wants to replace the door seals. Will post pics once completed.
Attached Images

bosco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 10:52 AM   #2
paulspickupparts

Re: Steele Rubber door seals

I cannot give you a review of the door seals as I have not actually used them. However usually Steele makes high quality stuff .

As far as the differences in styles. Over the years I parted many 55-59 Chevy and GMC pickups . I noticed the 55-57 trucks used the style on the right and the 58-59 used the more rounded style. The 58-59 seals always seemed a little fatter . Not sure why GM changed .

Maybe someone else that has used them will chime in on quality and fitment.
paulspickupparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 11:05 AM   #3
_Ogre

the bottom one is original according to the FAM
when you install the seals correctly, they look wrong
if they look right, they're wrong

after reading paul's post, the fam was written in 54 for the new tf models coming out in 55
Attached Images

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer

Last edited by _Ogre; 09-02-2021 at 11:11 AM.
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 12:37 PM   #4
bosco

I am wondering if GM changed to the round for a better seal. The doors are the same for 55-59, correct?
Old 09-02-2021, 03:00 PM   #5
paulspickupparts

Doors are the same , not sure if push in locating holes is the same but would think so.
paulspickupparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2021, 02:50 PM   #6
bosco

Re: Steele Rubber door seals, now more issues

Okay. How things snowball.... Ouch. The shop that is replacing the door seals (along with new Altman latches) Found these issues under the old door seal and when they went to align the doors for the latches. Door skins are good but are separating from the bottom and are pretty damaged. Previous owner just clamped/pinched the hinge in place with two pieces of metal, nuts & bolts. How I missed this.....
Attached Images

Old 09-03-2021, 09:53 PM   #7
_Ogre

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulspickupparts View Post
Doors are the same , not sure if push in locating holes is the same but would think so.
yes on push pin holes. i bought the door bottom repair panels; inside and out. the push pin holes matched well in the patch panels too.

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 12:08 AM   #8
dsraven

looks like you have some welding in your future. the lower panel of the door is available. the lower hinge inner door bracket/mount is a problem with separation of the parts. there are youtubes on how guys fix that when the door is apart for the lower replacement.
that absolutely sucks to find that.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2021, 11:08 AM   #9
bosco

Thanks. Shop has replaced the door hinge pocket and is in process of replacing the bottom of the doors. It will be all good when completed. Thanks
Old 10-06-2021, 11:59 PM   #10
Johns327

Bosco, did you get the hinge fixed and select a seal style? I have been considering replacing mine and was wondering how yours worked out.
Old 10-07-2021, 12:27 AM   #11
bosco

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johns327 View Post
Bosco, did you get the hinge fixed and select a seal style? I have been considering replacing mine and was wondering how yours worked out.
Hinge has been replaced and use the round seal. Unfortunately we couldn't get the doors aligned. Another shop is taking over the project to align the doors. Will update once complete.
Old 02-08-2023, 10:03 AM   #12
Phungki

Dug up this old post looking for door seal ideas. Is there a style or brand I should be looking at? So steele has good seals? Is one style a better fit than the other?
Posted via Mobile Device
Phungki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 04:45 PM   #13
bowt1ed

Through the multitude of posts over the past 10-15 years I have been reading, I have surmised to the conclusion (of the majority) that Steele offers the best fit for our TF windshields, but Sof Seal is a better fit/seal for doors - again, my take away. Haven't gotten that far yet.

Cheers, Jim
bowt1ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 07:21 AM   #14
Phungki

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowt1ed View Post
Through the multitude of posts over the past 10-15 years I have been reading, I have surmised to the conclusion (of the majority) that Steele offers the best fit for our TF windshields, but Sof Seal is a better fit/seal for doors - again, my take away. Haven't gotten that far yet.

Cheers, Jim
Ok, I’ll give those a try then.
Thank you
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 02-09-2023, 10:05 AM   #15
dsraven

on a '54 i helped a friend with some doors. he had replaced the seals with the ones from brother's I think. the doors had fit well before the rubber was installed but after the doors needed to be really slammed to shut and close all the way. we took the seals off and the doors fit really well again. we ended up with sofseal rubber replacements and they were a lot softer. the doors closed fine after that and sealed well. after several years they are still working well. it is important to get the door to fit the opening without a striker in place for the latch, then install and adjust the striker. for the TF trucks do this before installing the fender, then hang the fender and adjust that to the door.
dsraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2023, 01:55 PM   #16
Phungki

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsraven View Post
on a '54 i helped a friend with some doors. he had replaced the seals with the ones from brother's I think. the doors had fit well before the rubber was installed but after the doors needed to be really slammed to shut and close all the way. we took the seals off and the doors fit really well again. we ended up with sofseal rubber replacements and they were a lot softer. the doors closed fine after that and sealed well. after several years they are still working well. it is important to get the door to fit the opening without a striker in place for the latch, then install and adjust the striker. for the TF trucks do this before installing the fender, then hang the fender and adjust that to the door.

Soffseal it is then.

Thank you
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 03-27-2023, 05:15 PM   #17
OKGMC4

I originally had the $27 chinese seals on my GMC. Had to slam the doors a little but the seal was fair. They did look clunky though. I took them off to tape my doors and paint the interior black and thought I'd step it up. I bought the small Steele seals with the idea that the smaller seal would be less slamming. I like the look of them and the doors shut better but when I hand washed the truck both steps filled up with water. I called Steele and they told me that some doors are just tighter tolerances than others and they'd give me free shipping on the thicker pair. I countered with the fact that all 55-59 trucks use the same doors. If one seal fits better you should sell one style. The small pair is the same cost as 5 of the chinese sets so you want me to "try" another style at an additional $170? Why does your website say 100% gaurantee of fit and function if they fit but don't function? I got passed from one person to another but Steele ended up sending me the other style free of charge. I just got one door done about 30 minutes ago and would like to share a result. The round seals fit well but I really have to slam the door two handed now to get it latched. Bet it keeps the water out, but man I hope these things compress over the next few days. I think I might wait and do the second door tomorrow, my fingers still ache from pushing in all those little plastic pins to lock in the seal. Maybe all this work will help people make informed decisions in the future.
Attached Images

69/67 chevy/gmc LS powered unibody:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=624747

One piece window conversion Blackdiesel style:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=366078
OKGMC4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2023, 05:44 PM   #18
bosco

So apologies for not posting my update (recovering from illness).

I ended up with Steele Rubber round seals and they worked wonderfully. New shop aligned the doors beautifully. Prior to the doors getting realigned, I could see daylight through the doors closed (my little finger could fit in the opening). Very pleased with the new alignment. Doors fit even better than the pics show now that the seals have relaxed a bit. Recommend good quality seals.
Attached Images

Old 03-28-2023, 10:01 AM   #19
OKGMC4

How long did it take the seals to relax? They are seriously tight!

Old 03-28-2023, 01:36 PM   #20
bosco

Honestly it's taken a year plus. But the doors close with little effort now. Last October we got caught in a rain storm returning from a show and no leaks. I was more upset that I would have to wipe down all the water spots
Old 05-28-2023, 09:31 AM   #21
OKGMC4

Another leg in my journey to find door seals that fit. Both versions of the Steele Rubber door seals would not seal 100 percent. Rain and wind noise got right in. I could actually see daylight between the door and cab while driving. I just installed a set of these from Classic Parts. They are shaped exactly like the Steele seals with the lip but the lip sticks out about an additional 3/16”. Just enough to seal the door all around. And they were about $25. You can buy 6 of these for what Steele cost, and they fit better.
Attached Images