The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-15-2021, 05:35 PM   #51
Side_hustle

Re: Longggggg Road trip tips. What is the farthest you’ve gone?

I plan on taking my truck to the southeastern nationals in Lebanon TN this July with my son, going to be a long drive but looking forward to it, About 1,000 miles from MA +/- defiantly going to take lots of pics and time to take in the scenery
Side_hustle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 06:34 PM   #52
72c20customcamper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Side_hustle View Post
I plan on taking my truck to the southeastern nationals in Lebanon TN this July with my son, going to be a long drive but looking forward to it, About 1,000 miles from MA +/- defiantly going to take lots of pics and time to take in the scenery
I'm hoping on going too. But I may be in Massachusetts that weekend if the motorcycle event with the wife if it doesn't get cancelled
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2021, 10:18 PM   #53
davischevy

Quote:
I am planning on going.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 07:51 AM   #54
Side_hustle

defiantly looking forward to it, never done anything like this before
Side_hustle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 08:03 AM   #55
FRCvette

Quote:
Getting my truck ready now to make this trip. Already registered.

1967 c10 swb Stepside
2004 SSR
2013 Silverado swb
FRCvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 09:42 AM   #56
Xavier

I drove a poorly prepared 1968 C20 from NorCal south past LA, over through El Paso then to Austin and then to the Philadelphia area.

The company I was with at the time was closing down. They were headquartered in PA and the plan had been for me to bring the work vehicle back to PA for sale. I was going to tow the C20 behind the van. They decided 4 days before the move they were going to sell the work van locally in NorCal and that left me with no time to properly prep the truck. It was fine driving around town but not ready for a 3000 mile road trip.
Xavier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 04:30 PM   #57
May70

The best advice is to do a full tune up & service on your truck first. Grease all your fittings. Inspect all your wheel hubs etc....

If you are going to bring wheel bearings, as in you think they are probably due already, you should be replacing them now.

Drop/pull out gas tank and clean it out if its not been done recently (if ever).

Fuel pump? Inspect your sending unit/pickup tube strainer already?

Have you priced all those parts already? That's a lot of coin, not to mention space. You really want to lug all that crap 4k miles??? Way better off doing a full service, replacing what is due now and bring a few essentials for the length/time period wanted. Bring the stuff you cant get everywhere..

If you haven't read the service manual, you should, there is probably a lot more than you realize needs to be serviced. Some items are as little as 6/mo or 5000 miles if I recall correctly.

Id bring an actual jack and a few stands.

How to repair that rusted out 67-72 c10-c30! Please subscribe!
https://www.youtube.com/c/MaycoCustomRestorations

Last edited by May70; 02-16-2021 at 04:38 PM.
May70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 06:38 PM   #58
mr48chev

From where I sit now to McGregor Tx in the 70 long bed I had at the time with a stop at lake Texoma in a driving rain storm to pick up a new cattle trailer for a friend that I used to haul my wife's belongings back from Texas with. around 2300 miles down and 2100 back.

I've done the same trip in my 48 Chev pickup and in the 51 Mercury I had.

May 70 pretty well nailed it. do the same pre trip check and service you would do with any other vehicle. Fresh or reasonably fresh oil and filter change, Change the air filter unless again it is new.

Full grease job, pack the front wheel bearings and inspect them, check the brakes and give the tires a good checking over including checking the inflation.

Check the belts, I have a habit of changing the belts before a road trip like that and keeping the ones I take off in the sleeves the new ones came in as spares.

As for what to carry along: the spare belts as I said above, a spare fuel filter. Spare fuses. Not all parts houses have a good supply of the round glass fuses that fit our trucks anymore.

Tools: a small set of tools to do the things you can and might actually do on the side of the road, in a motel parking lot or in front of a parts house.

Those include:
Test light (that works)
Multi meter
screw drivers for what screws your truck has.
small set of combination wrenches
3/8 drive socket set
Jumper cables
Specific sockets or screw drivers that fit something that affects the running of the truck that uses a different tool than normal 67/72 trucks do.

5 round trips to and from Texas say that 99.9 % of the time your on the road issues are going to be something that you can unbolt with basic hand tools and replace and go again.
Starter
Alternator/generator
water pump
Belt
Fuel filter
Wheel bearing. I've lost them on trailers on trips but never on my rig I am driving.

Anything else you are most likely going to end up being towed to a shop or being towed to a place where you can work on or renting a tow rig and trailer to get it home.

The odd thing on here is that guys who wouldn't bat and eye at taking a 1000 mile road trip in their 8 year old daily driver work truck with 150K on it panic at driving their older truck that they know every part on the same distance.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 06:57 PM   #59
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Hot Rod Power Tour.

I did a couple long ones. I think 2015 was just under 3,500 miles. I think 2016 was a tad longer for me, maybe 3600 miles? On that one trip I drove through SC, GA, FL, AL, MS, LA, TX, OK, AR, TN & NC.

The mustang has also been to VA, KY, OH, MI, IN, IL, WI, and MO (Pretty much 2015 Power Tour).

GREAT road trip car (when it doesn't break). T5 5spd and A/C.

I think my C10 has only been to SC, NC, GA, VA and TN.
Attached Images

1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2021, 02:46 PM   #60
Ofnaman1

Dont know if its been mentioned yet, but you may want to call ahead at some of the national parks. I know Yosemite currently has a restriction and you have to make reservations to get in. Just a heads up.
Ofnaman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 06:19 AM   #61
Andy4639
Old member

Thumbs up Re: Longggggg Road trip tips. What is the farthest you’ve gone?

April 30 I will be heading out on a 2000 mile round trip in the C-10. Liberty SC to Key West Florida and back. We have around 20 vehicles going. Going to drive down on the gulf side to meet up with friends from La & Alabama and other states, then head south.
1 night will be in Tallahassee area to meet up with everyone going, then the next night will be in Bradenton Fla for a BBQ for everyone, next to Florida City and then 3-4 nights in Key West and then head back north. Haven't thought about the trip back north yet but will drive until I get tired and stop.
Should be a fun trip and I've never been to the keys so it will really be good trip.
After this trip my C-10 will have been to the southern most point of the continental United states and to the shores of the great lakes.
Attached Images

Upstate SC GM Truck Club
2013,14 and 2016 Hot Rod Pour Tour

http://upstategmtrucks.com/

Get out and drive the truck this summer and have some fun!
It sucks not being able to hear!

LWB trucks rule, if you don't think so measure your SWB!
After talking to tech support at Air Lift I have found out that the kit I need is 60811. Per the measurements I gave them. Ride height of truck inside spring and inside diameter of springs.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 02:11 AM   #62
Awann99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty View Post
Might want to check into getting a membership to the National Park System. Being an old fart I was able to get a life time membership awhile back. Could save some on individual entrance fees and I think there are other perks as well. Happy Motoring and have a safe trip.
Thanks for the suggestion. I checked into it. A membership is only 80$ a year for me so that will already cover the entrance fee to two parks. Well worth it. Thanks
Awann99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 11:29 AM   #63
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awann99 View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. I checked into it. A membership is only 80$ a year for me so that will already cover the entrance fee to two parks. Well worth it. Thanks
If you end up traveling HWY 412 on your way west holler at me.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 12:33 PM   #64
LT7A

This is great, hearing about everybody's road trips. My longest was in a Squarebody Suburban towing an Airstream from Seattle to Acapulco and back - yeah, the one in Mexico. However, the 'Burban was only a couple years old, and I wasn't allowed behind the wheel yet, haha.

I get a kick out of the personalities represented on the thread. I knew instinctively that anybody who makes a list that is as thorough as yours, is a guy who has already done that work on the truck. I doubt very much that you would defer your maintenance, buy all the parts, and expect to replace them as needed on the trip. Some very good tips and hints on here though.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2021, 12:40 PM   #65
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by davischevy View Post
The wife and I have driven my 72 on several trips. I have had my share of breakdowns, but people are great. I got a cool memory out of all my bad fortune.

On the way to "Cruisin' The Coast" one year, I stopped in south Arkansas to get gas and had antifreeze dripping. I called ahead to O'Reilly's in Biloxi and ordered a radiator. I changed the radiator in the parking lot.

I headed on over to Pensacola, FL. The engine pulled a rocker stud on the Pensacola Bay bridge. I had a friend down there with an empty trailer. He picked us up and hauled us home.

Another time on the way to the coast, the pinion nut loosened. I went to O'Reilly's and rented a breakover bar and socket and backed the truck up on a curb so I could get under it.

On the way to Nashville the AC compressor locked up just east of Dyersburg. I changed the compressor in the motel parking lot. We left there and drove down to Gatlinburg, back up to Bowling Green, then through Indiana, Illinois to Des Moines, Iowa and back to Arkansas.

We made a trip up to northern Wisconsin and Minnesota in a 70 El Camino we built. I crossed some railroad tracks in Minneapolis and heard the wheel alignment shims ringing on the pavement. It was closing time on Friday so I got some shims from and alignment shop counted the turns I back the nut off and trial and error until it tightened the same number of turns.

I drove the El Camino through Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, Maryland to Washington DC. On the way back I hit a trailer jack in the road near Roanoke, VA. I had it towed to a Chevy dealer and they had me back on the road the next day. The insurance paid for the whole thing.

I had a coil go bad on my 71 Chevelle halfway between Tallulah, LA and Vicksburg, MS. I had it towed to Vicksburg and changed the coil. Insurance paid for the tow.

I had a fuel sensor go out on my Harley in the Rocky Mountains. I nursed it (no easy feat with all our gear and the wife on the back) to Farmington, NM to the Harley dealer. Great people had me going in no time.

I forgot the big one. In 1973 the wife and I drove a 72 Cheyenne to Washington state and down the coast to San Diego and back to Arkansas.

Go for it. The breakdowns are half the fun.
DC, you have excellent recall of your road trip experiences. Very cool, and kudos to your wife for being willing to head out in a less than modern vehicle. I would read a thread on your road trip experiences by itself, haha. Especially if it had pictures of your rigs. I like your perspective that the breakdowns are half the fun. I think the planning is part of the fun, the anticipation of the trip and the preparations too. And then beyond that, like you said, whatever goes wrong is an opportunity for a cool experience and memory.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 12:47 PM   #66
olschool

Hi, I have not been on for awhile. Rebuilt the motor and trans this past winter for vacation. On June 25th, 2021 we left for Yellowstone National Park, Teton National Park, Devils Tower National Monument, Wind Cave National Park and Badlands National Park. Logged in a little over 5000 miles. No problems except for a small fuel leak at carburetor, retightened the fitting and good to go. Here are some pics from on the road. 1-Yellowstone Bridge Bay Campground, 2-Mormon Row Tetons National Park, 3-Devils Tower, 4-Badlands. I tried to upload a video of a grizzly that walked right past the truck but no luck.
Attached Images

Old 07-11-2021, 06:40 PM   #67
Blue GMC

The longest in my truck was a whopping 144 miles after I bought it from my wife’s grandfather. Just got the keys and headed out as you can’t kill a 292 with a 4 speed.

Now as I think about trips in old cars I realize I e been really lucky over the years. In the early 2000s bought a MGB all original with “72k” on it off the internet. Jumped on a plane and met the guy at the airport and drove home 450 mile from Little Rock to Wichita. Biggest white knuckle drive ever. Those cars are fun in a city but with big rigs all over the road YIKES!! That and I learned real fast Lucas electrical systems are made by the devil.

My father in law my brother in law and I had a fun night drinking in the back yard and bought a 1980 Corvette of Craigslist one night. Met the guy in a parking lot the next day and paid him and then realized we had to get it back to my FIL house 2 and a half hours away. So just jumped in and on the hwy @ 75mph again. Luckily no problems.

Odd thing is as I have got older I am now hesitant to put my 71 on the same trip as the Vet. Truck was a bit and bolt resto 10 years ago and I have only put 600 miles on it as it is so far away. Just have a bad feeling on this one. Crazy I know
Blue GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 07:02 PM   #68
May70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue GMC View Post
The longest in my truck was a whopping 144 miles after I bought it from my wife’s grandfather. Just got the keys and headed out as you can’t kill a 292 with a 4 speed.

Now as I think about trips in old cars I realize I e been really lucky over the years. In the early 2000s bought a MGB all original with “72k” on it off the internet. Jumped on a plane and met the guy at the airport and drove home 450 mile from Little Rock to Wichita. Biggest white knuckle drive ever. Those cars are fun in a city but with big rigs all over the road YIKES!! That and I learned real fast Lucas electrical systems are made by the devil.

My father in law my brother in law and I had a fun night drinking in the back yard and bought a 1980 Corvette of Craigslist one night. Met the guy in a parking lot the next day and paid him and then realized we had to get it back to my FIL house 2 and a half hours away. So just jumped in and on the hwy @ 75mph again. Luckily no problems.

Odd thing is as I have got older I am now hesitant to put my 71 on the same trip as the Vet. Truck was a bit and bolt resto 10 years ago and I have only put 600 miles on it as it is so far away. Just have a bad feeling on this one. Crazy I know
Nut and bolt resto 10 years ago and you’ve only put 600 miles on it??? Is that cause you’re afraid to drive it???

Old 07-11-2021, 07:03 PM   #69
May70

Pics are awesome oldschool! I hope one day I can do that!!

Old 07-11-2021, 07:24 PM   #70
Blue GMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by May70 View Post
Nut and bolt resto 10 years ago and you’ve only put 600 miles on it??? Is that cause you’re afraid to drive it???
It’s been at my father in laws shop all this time. In 2011 the company I worked for was purchased by a British company and they let all of the large account managers go. Had to relocate from Wichita to KC to get a decent job and at that time just had to survive with a small family getting the truck up was not a priority. When I parked it at his shop it had 200 miles on it since the restoration and we both take it out for short trips around the small town they live in to keep the fluids churning. She gets started weekly as well.

Now flash forward to 2021 in a much better place and thinking about bringing her home as I have more time and need something of a hobby. Plus my FIL wants some space back as we have a leak on the head of my BIL 68 Cutlass conv so this fall we will rebuild it.
Blue GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2021, 08:53 PM   #71
body bolt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awann99 View Post
I’m planning a roughly 4000 mile road trip in my 69 gmc 1500. I’m gonna throw the camper on and boondock in as many national parks as I can find.
I’ve made a list off all the parts I intend to carry:
Belts
Water pump
Spark plug wires
Wire.
Battery cables
Thermostat and gasket
Oil
Water.
Brake fluid.
HEI module/ distributor
Wheel bearings.
Lug nuts.
Fuel hose/ filter
Air element
Gasket maker.
Battery
Fuses.
Hose clamps.
Jerry can
Ignition cylinder.
Alternator.
Headlights.
Besides all the tools I’ll need, any other suggestions? The truck has a fresh crate motor in it and just about everything but the sheet metal has bee replaced In the last few years. I think the yoke seal on the rear end and the wiring is the only thing I haven’t replaced. Oh and it has power disk brakes now.
Has anyone else gone this far in one of these old trucks? Any tips, stories, or cool pictures of these trucks camped out? Thanks fellas.
Posted via Mobile Device
You'll be the anti-Roadkill.
body bolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 07:29 AM   #72
FRCvette

olschool we just did that same trip with our SSR group. Left Cincinnati June 6 and got back on the 19th. Deadwood, Crazy Horse, Rushmore, Badlands, Yellowstone, Rockies. The wildlife and scenery was amazing. Trip of a lifetime for us. Want to do Grand Canyon area trip next year in my completed c10.

1967 c10 swb Stepside
2004 SSR
2013 Silverado swb
FRCvette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 07:39 AM   #73
72c20customcamper

I’m at about 1600 miles so far . On my way home from SETN . Couple of weeks going to the truck nationals in Carlisle so only my clothes will be coming out of the truck . Truck has run perfect and has used no oil .
1969 AMX ,
1968 c20 stepside ,85 K20
1977 Suburban sold
68 anniversary.

Last edited by 72c20customcamper; 07-12-2021 at 08:04 AM.
72c20customcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 09:19 AM   #74
burnin oil

A little late but for future readers. A tube of RTV, preferably copper 777. Can use on oil leaks and as exhaust gaskets. On one of my many 9 hour road trips i had a axle seal fail on a HO52. Noticed it while getting gas and resealed it in their parking lot in 10 minutes to get back on the road. Also if you run a small cap MSD bring one. I broke one in north TX and couldn't fInd one locally and had to swap distributers to keep on the road. Only time I have ever had a rotor failure and took out the entire side of the cap.
burnin oil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2021, 08:47 PM   #75
olschool

FRCvette, for sure a great trip. We have been there a couple of times in the last 20 years but going in the vintage truck and camper was super sweet.
May 70, keep plugging away and you will get there!
burnin oil, I agree on the RTV and small parts. I still run points so i had spare cap, rotor, wires, points and condenser.