The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-28-2021, 09:44 AM   #1
ChevyGuyNC

Crankcase Breather?

My bone stock '72 350 has a 3 inch 'hat' om top of the carb, and the 3 inch air cleaner. There's no crankcase breather in the air cleaner. But there is a tube from the valve cover that goes into the hat, and there's no breather. See the pic... I have no reason to think this is not stock, just never seen it before. Seems like without the breather it's just going right into the carb...
Attached Images

Last edited by LockDoc; 02-28-2021 at 11:39 AM. Reason: sized picture down
ChevyGuyNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 10:22 AM   #2
BigBird05

Re: Crankcase Breather?

It already has filtered air going into the valve cover from the air cleaner.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 10:35 AM   #3
ChevyGuyNC

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBird05 View Post
It already has filtered air going into the valve cover from the air cleaner.
Ah, ok... I had the airflow reversed in my head. Thanks!
Old 02-28-2021, 01:02 PM   #4
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

My C10 72 is just like that. Though, I don't have a fancy oil fill tube - is that thing stock? if so where do I get one for my truck (and where the hell did it go??)!

'72 Chevy C10 Cheyenne *Super WHT/MED BRONZE/WHT
SBC 350 | TH350 | LWB | AC | Buddy Seats
Upgrades: Tilt | Front Sway Bar | Radio | Sliding Window | Bed Spare w/Lock
Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Rich72C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 03:53 PM   #5
kenn

Hello, I think that the "Hat" is called an air cleaner spacer, The tube allows air the engine is sucking in to come from the crank case thru the engine and the flame arrester to the tube.
The spacer, tube and arrester are stock.
I am not sure if its called a flame or spark arrester but that's the part between the tube and the valve cover.
Hope this helps. K.E.N.
kenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 04:01 PM   #6
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

that helps me - thanks!

Bed Rails | Full LEDs | Courtesy Lights | Tachometer | Glovebox Lock & Light | Head Light Relays | *Upgraded Fully Super Trim
Old 02-28-2021, 04:04 PM   #7
chiefcfd

Rich, I think those oil filler tubes were only stock on the C-50 and C-60 trucks.
chiefcfd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 04:09 PM   #8
geezer#99

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenn View Post
Hello, I think that the "Hat" is called an air cleaner spacer, The tube allows air the engine is sucking in to come from the crank case thru the engine and the flame arrester to the tube.
The spacer, tube and arrester are stock.
I am not sure if its called a flame or spark arrester but that's the part between the tube and the valve cover.
Hope this helps. K.E.N.
You have it backwards.
Air into the motor from the riser thru the hose and arrestor into the valve cover. The air combines with moisture and gas fumes and then it’s all pulled out the other side by the pcv valve.
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 04:31 PM   #9
Wrenchbender Ret

It is all factory. It works both ways. At idle or cruising with high vacuum it passes air into the engine to fill the void from the PCV valve. At heavy throttle & little or no vacuum the blowby gasses pass through this tube into the air stream.
George
Wrenchbender Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 04:51 PM   #10
Rich72C10
Mr. Cheyenne

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefcfd View Post
Rich, I think those oil filler tubes were only stock on the C-50 and C-60 trucks.
So the OP got it as an option?? - his doesn't look like a C50/60 - I am not even sure I seen anything above a C30!

Old 02-28-2021, 06:51 PM   #11
ChevyGuyNC

Quote:
As far as I can determine from date codes, this truck is 100% stock, and the engine is original. The filler tube looks same age as rest of engine, so I really don't know...
Old 02-28-2021, 07:59 PM   #12
MAC71Cheyenne

All stock. Have pics but of course can't find the one I want at the moment showing that setup. On a '71 C10 Custom. 350, Rochester 4bbl. Oil fill tube on the drivers side with the bracket that bolts onto the intake side of the valve cover. Passenger side flame arrestor and tube into the spacer under the air cleaner.
Truck is a bone stock farm truck that hasn't been messed with. Sitting in a shed for 10 years...
The usual story, don't want to sell it, the grandkids are going to restore it. That was three years ago and it is still sitting there, untouched.
MAC71Cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 09:32 PM   #13
SkidmoreGarage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAC71Cheyenne View Post
All stock. Have pics but of course can't find the one I want at the moment showing that setup. On a '71 C10 Custom. 350, Rochester 4bbl. Oil fill tube on the drivers side with the bracket that bolts onto the intake side of the valve cover. Passenger side flame arrestor and tube into the spacer under the air cleaner.
Truck is a bone stock farm truck that hasn't been messed with. Sitting in a shed for 10 years...
The usual story, don't want to sell it, the grandkids are going to restore it. That was three years ago and it is still sitting there, untouched.
Just to derail this thread one step further, I'll add my own experience from my grandparents 1957 Thunderbird basketcase. When the time comes, that truck will likely be sold fast and cheap. The grandkids won't even be consulted. Because if they were, they either wouldn't want to pay what the other family members think it's worth, there would be conflict when two people wanted it, or they would say they want it but don't actually have the ability (space, tools, etc.) to work on it.

Moral of the story for the grandpas and grandmas, make a plan, write it down, talk with your family before it's too late, and think about not waiting. My grandmother made an effort to find out what her kids valued, and then was able to share a memory and gift the item. This made it more than just "valuable stuff".

Last edited by SkidmoreGarage; 02-28-2021 at 09:47 PM.
SkidmoreGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 09:50 PM   #14
best view

That fancy oil tube came with ac only trucks o
best view is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2021, 10:30 PM   #15
FirstOwner69

Quote:
Originally Posted by best view View Post
That fancy oil tube came with ac only trucks o
For what years? My '69 C20 with 350 and A/C has never had one. Based on junkyard observations, I was thinking it may have been a 71/72 addition. Maybe this subject would benefit from a separate thread.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:17 AM   #16
Ol Blue K20
Proprietor of Dale's Corner

The oil fill tube was stock on K model trucks. I'm not sure on the years, but my 72 K10 came with it.....

Dale
XNGH ECV Sam Brannan 1004

R.I.P. 67ChevyRedneck
R.I.P. Grumpy Old Man
Ol Blue K20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 12:36 PM   #17
Davidf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChevyGuyNC View Post
My bone stock '72 350 has a 3 inch 'hat' om top of the carb, and the 3 inch air cleaner. There's no crankcase breather in the air cleaner. But there is a tube from the valve cover that goes into the hat, and there's no breather. See the pic... I have no reason to think this is not stock, just never seen it before. Seems like without the breather it's just going right into the carb...
This is exactly how my '71 is setup (no idea if stock or not) except I do not have the idle solenoid (which I want to add). If I understand this correctly, the breather simple burns blow by gases by dumping into carb. I have the same oil fill tube. Where does the power for the solenoid come from? My truck has A/C
Davidf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 01:31 PM   #18
Classic Bowties
Always on the hunt...

Quote:
Bad info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirstOwner69 View Post
For what years? My '69 C20 with 350 and A/C has never had one. Based on junkyard observations, I was thinking it may have been a 71/72 addition. Maybe this subject would benefit from a separate thread.
Good info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich72C10 View Post
My C10 72 is just like that. Though, I don't have a fancy oil fill tube - is that thing stock? if so where do I get one for my truck (and where the hell did it go??)!
We just listed a couple of OE used 71-72 small block optional oil filler extension tube setups and some GM NOS filler tube "specific" grommets in the below linked f/s thread, we gave you an option on buying one of the setups. If interested, have a look and confirm/pass in thread. Thanks, Mel

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=818966
Attached Images

Last edited by Classic Bowties; 03-01-2021 at 02:26 PM. Reason: added pic
Classic Bowties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2021, 01:39 PM   #19
DeadheadNM
Carpe manana

These oil filler extensions accompany NOS power brake units so it may be related to power brakes. Also, these are present with AC if I’m not mistaken. As an aside, the rubber plug was originally painted with the motor. The extensions were added on after motor assembly/paint.

Members met: ORANGBLAZ, 2003 silverado, MikeCofield, BB72CHEVKT, Duncan&Son, Sameyrasmea72, THENEWMEXICAN, HotRod C/10, brianthelion02, Sport/Truck, ryanroo, michael bustamante, Dirt's72, Already Gone, WestButteTruck, 57taskforce, Moreyel, painterljp, AASmedic, SoCoC10, Lumaestas, carbuff382, Chevyland
DeadheadNM is offline   Reply With Quote