The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-22-2012, 11:31 PM   #126
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Re: 1960 Biscayne

I also ordered a 7 circuit auxiliary fuse block. I've got two air compressors to run, and there may be a future need for other things like fans and stuff so taking care of that now. I'm going to finish up the front suspension then tackle getting the Air Ride plumbed up. Still waiting on the brake line kit, but I should be able to get most of it done - except for work this weekend.

Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 07:51 PM   #127
srea76

subscribed. I love this car.

Red Baron-72 c10 Project
srea76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2012, 11:05 PM   #128
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Thanks for stopping by! Glad you like what's going on.

I sure hoped to have this puppy on the road by the 4th of July, but that ain't happening.

I have been putting in some hellacious hours at work, and now temps are hitting 100 so that is going to slow me down some just as the hours are starting to back off. I'm dieing to see this rascal out in the open air!

I did manage to get the upper and lower control arms installed and the driver side spindle is halfway on. The new Inline Tube brake lines showed up this week. I'm not going to install the whole thing in Phase I, but I am going to replace some parts that don't look so good.

Stay tuned fellas, good things are coming.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-02-2012, 08:33 AM   #129
mcbassin
Still Learning

I really like the new steering wheel. I'm with you on the long hours and too much heat. Exact same boat I'm in right now.
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:43 AM   #130
bmfm64

I wish I was closer to lend a hand, I love this thing and can't wait to see it rollin!
Posted via Mobile Device
bmfm64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 03:28 PM   #131
nicke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomin View Post
I also ordered a 7 circuit auxiliary fuse block. I've got two air compressors to run, and there may be a future need for other things like fans and stuff so taking care of that now. I'm going to finish up the front suspension then tackle getting the Air Ride plumbed up. Still waiting on the brake line kit, but I should be able to get most of it done - except for work this weekend.

Good! After you finish your air ride install, you can come to Washington and help me put bags on my 65

-Nick

Classic Nation
My classic car videos
nicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 09:39 PM   #132
bmfm64

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicke View Post
Good! After you finish your air ride install, you can come to Washington and help me put bags on my 65

-Nick
Come to the wet side and I'll help ya set it up!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-02-2012, 11:40 PM   #133
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Thanks for the offers to help guys. Actually the encouragement helps. I had a few spare hours to drive out to the shop (about a 30 minute drive from the house which doesn't help a lot), so I decide to tackle the rest of the driver side spindle install. The upper ball joint pretty much fell into place, but the lower one was not cooperating. Turns out the steer arm is preventing the lower control arm from lowering into position. No problem, I remove the steering arm and sure enough, the ball joint spindle drops in far enough for me to put the castle nut on.

Does anyone see anything wrong with this picture - other than the fact it's out of focus? In case you can't see it, I have the cotter pin in the castle nut.

Not only that, but there is not enough room to put the steering arm back on. *%^$&%$!!!

This has to be the wrong spindle. At least the bolt pattern is right, and the wheels clear the calipers. But damn! It took nearly 3 weeks to get them, and now I get to take them off and ship them back.

Oh well - at least I got to check the wheels and ShockWaves for clearance.

Old 07-03-2012, 12:39 AM   #134
screaminchevypickup
Laid Back

Love the wheels Steve!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Direct dealers for..

Vintage Air, Porterbuilt, Billet Specialties,Budnik wheels ,eddie motorsports, raceline wheels, intro wheels, Dakota Digital, precision, unisteer, Trimparts, and many many more... Laid Back Recreations.. Full restoration shop and full paint and body..

Kyle

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=574629
screaminchevypickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2012, 12:43 AM   #135
bmfm64

I'm in love.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-03-2012, 09:00 AM   #136
mcbassin
Still Learning

Too bad about the spindles. The wheels are awesome!
mcbassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2012, 12:00 AM   #137
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

The RideTech folks flat out say their arms will not work with aftermarket spindles, soo it looks like I'll be replacing those with something else. Hate to do it because they are very nice pieces. Anyone need a set?

Kyle, i may be looking at the CPP pieces if I can find out if they will work with the POL spindles. Looking at the POL control arms, it doesn't look as if they will work with ShockWaves.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-06-2012, 02:13 PM   #138
screaminchevypickup
Laid Back

Just lmk and I'll try to help any that I can!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

Direct dealers for..

Vintage Air, Porterbuilt, Billet Specialties,Budnik wheels ,eddie motorsports, raceline wheels, intro wheels, Dakota Digital, precision, unisteer, Trimparts, and many many more... Laid Back Recreations.. Full restoration shop and full paint and body..

Kyle

Old 07-18-2012, 10:38 PM   #139
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Looks like I have a choice: I can use the Ride Tech control arms and use the stock spindle and 12" brakes, or use stock control arms and use the 13" brakes and strop spindles that I have.

I spoke with Ride Tech and they flat out state they do not know of any aftermarket spndile that will work with their Strong Arms, which seems incredible to me.

Unfortunately, it looks like to cut my losses, I'll have to send the big brake setup back.

Ideas?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-18-2012, 11:48 PM   #140
screaminchevypickup
Laid Back

If it was me I would do the 12'' brakes and stock spindle..
Posted via Mobile Device

Direct dealers for..

Kyle

Old 07-19-2012, 11:08 AM   #141
bmfm64

I would use the stock sponsors and 12 inch brakes. Especially if you plan on driving it a lot, it will be much easier to find parts.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-21-2012, 07:37 AM   #142
fryer1979
Redneck Hillbilly

Oh man, nothing beats those late 50s, early 60s big body GMs. Beautiful car!
fryer1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 10:24 PM   #143
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Thanks fryer!

I'm not real happy with Parts Online right now. They've got me in full stall mode now. Monday AM they are going to get an earful.

106 in OKC today. I couldn't get motivated to work on the car after mowing today. I may give it a shot tomorrow. I need to finish up the plumbing on the Ride Tech stuff, then the interior should be arriving in the next couple of weeks.

Mike, when I have time away from my project, I start thinking of new crap to do. Glad you talked me out of having a plan.

Kyle, I'm going to go the 12" route. I notice the kits that use the stock spindles use brackets to mount them. I wonder if CPP's big brake 13" kits are available front only. On the the web it shows front and back brakes all in the same kit, but it says if you buy front and back kits they will throw in a booster free.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-26-2012, 01:53 PM   #144
67c10rustbuket

Looks awesome, sorry about the front susp troubles and curious what you end up useing. I would like to go the same route someday but now I just have a CPP disk brake conversion w/stock spindles on my 59 wag with a lower coil spring.

67 SWB C10 project "GEORGIA"-59 Brookwood 2dr wag...Next project-03 Tahoe 4x4 5.3 family ride-07 Hondur Accord, commuter car
67c10rustbuket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 06:22 PM   #145
nicke

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmfm64 View Post
Come to the wet side and I'll help ya set it up!
Posted via Mobile Device
Watch what you offer or I just might take you up on it!

-Nick

Classic Nation
My classic car videos
nicke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:13 PM   #146
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

I got a lot done today. With the heat wave and drought, I don't have to mow as much now as I take care of my fathers and father in laws yards too. It was in the 60's this morning when I got started. I got all the front end put together (with the exception of the brakes) spindles, tie rods all set and wheels bolted on.

I also got a big jump on getting the new fuse block installed and all the stuff for the Air Ride system. Just lack a few things and hopefully tomorrow the Biscuit will be off of jack stands and standing on all fours.

The new interior shipped yesterday so that was added incentive to get all the wiring strung out. Got some rolls of insulation and will be putting that in after I finish wire wheeling the last of the old stuff off the floors and sealing it up. It sure is nice when everything starts coming together.

Now, if I could just get the brakes sorted out, i'll be driving this thing in a month. I want to get it all sorted out before heading for Good-Guys in Ft Worth in October.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-11-2012, 11:22 PM   #147
VA72C10
VA72C10

Sounds like great progress! Looking forward to pictures of it on the ground!

I'm sure you're really looking forward to the interior stuff too. I always like to have a fresh interior...even in my patina truck I re-did the interior on it.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:46 AM   #148
bmfm64

Are we there yet? Can't wait to see this on the ground!
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-14-2012, 11:47 AM   #149
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Funny you should ask. Last night we had lift off and touch down! Sorta.

I have all the wiring laid out so I can do repairs if testing revealed a problem. I initially tried to take the jack stands out from under the car, but it goes so low I can't jet my jack out. So Plan B is to set it on jacks as low as I can, then raise it off of them.

It was so cool when I turned the ignition switch to ON and heard the compressors fire up. It took the two of them about a minute to fill the 5 gallon tank. Then I tested each valve without the air line plugged in so I could verify which one responded to the buttons on display. Then I plugged the lines in and tested each corner one by one, and sure enough it raised itself off the jack stands. Pretty damn cool I thought.

The pic below is the best I've got now. This is with it sitting off the jack stands, pretty close to what I think will be ride height. I'm not sure if it will lay frame yet (not really the goal of the project), but it's going to be real close.

I left it last night with the jack stands still under it. I'm doing a leak down test before I remove them completely since it's so hard to get a jack under it. Also, I don't have brakes on it yet so I'm not ready to move it around, but I can move Ol Yeller out of the way for a nice side shot. It will be a couple days before I'm going to be back out to the shop tho.

The wiring set up as it is right now. I'm going to put some shielding around the wires and get them bundled up, and I'm putting grommets everywhere a line comes through sheet metal. Jeg's sells a nice kit that has several of differing sizes.

I decided to build a false floor in the passenger foot wells for two reasons. It's a major PITA to carpet, and it's a great place to store of the cables and Ride Tech stuff so I can easily get to them.

That leaves just the tank and valves in the truck, and since I mounted those on a piece of plywood I can slide those out and service them easily if I need to.

Now, I just need to get the #%^ brakes sorted out.

Last edited by Zoomin; 08-14-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #150
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Gina at Ciadella Interiors did a phenomenal job of of helping me select materials and kept me informed all along the way. This is a pic of one of their interior artisans - Ben - holding up his work on the door panel.