The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 01-14-2013, 03:51 PM   #1
Mustard72

Re: 72 C20 "Old Mustard"

Thanks, Scott. I'll probably post up how I go about using the sealer. Probably should shoot some inside the rockers, too. We'll see how for the one can I got so far goes. Hadn't thought of the rockers when I ordered it, and I'm pretty cheap.

Thanks, GDavis. It's all happy building. I still can't get over how rotted out this cab was before I started. If only I could stay home and work on it every day... Better be careful what I wish for and just be thankful to have a job, I suppose.

Got the driver side outer rocker on yesterday. Post some pics later. Really.

Old Mustard, 1972 Chevy C20, 350, TH350, 4.10 Dana 60 rear, owned since I was 16 in 1986
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=545356

Blue Bell, 1987 K20, 6.2L Diesel, TH400/NP208, 4.10 gears

Ustahav 1976 K10, 350/350/203, Gov Loc, Yooper beater trail truck.
Mustard72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 08:32 PM   #2
gdavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustard72 View Post
Thanks, Scott. I'll probably post up how I go about using the sealer. Probably should shoot some inside the rockers, too. We'll see how for the one can I got so far goes. Hadn't thought of the rockers when I ordered it, and I'm pretty cheap.

Thanks, GDavis. It's all happy building. I still can't get over how rotted out this cab was before I started. If only I could stay home and work on it every day... Better be careful what I wish for and just be thankful to have a job, I suppose.

Got the driver side outer rocker on yesterday. Post some pics later. Really.
You better thank your lucky stars on that having a job in today job market is a plus.
gdavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:02 AM   #3
Mustard72

Plus I actually enjoy my job most of the time. The good Lord's been good to me, he just doesn't appear to make me get better at this whole sheet metal work thing as fast as I would like.

Here are pics of the driver side outer rocker install. I used the two alignment hole through each hinge trick Scott recommended and it worked really good. Just a little bit of futzing around getting the holes in the hinges lined up with the holes in the pillar, but still much easier than doing it without the holes. I used 1/8" holes, by the way. I also tried to use his dremel tool trick for grinding down welds. I'll just say that either I was using the wrong bit or he's just a much more patient man than I am. Of course, maybe that's why his work looks so good.

Anyway. I'm pretty pleased with how the rocker turned out. It doesn't line up with hte cab corner as well as I'd like, but the door fit well prior to welding it into place, and both ends turned out pretty good after a little hammer work to get the curves right. The before and after pics of the front of the rocker show how far it had to be worked into the correct shape. The back wasn't as bad, but still needed a little hammer persuasion to get right, or at least right enough.

I plug welded the top of the rocker to the new floor. This went pretty well. I also tried plug welding the bottom of the rocker to the inner rocker panel on the new floor. For whatever reason, I just couldn't get the right amount of penetration through the outer rocker and into the inner rocker doing this no matter how well I had them clamped together. So, I hammered the lip on the bottom of the outer rocker around the bottom of the inner rocker and welded it up along the hammered up edge of the outer rocker to the inside of the inner rocker from under the cab. I didn't get a picture of this, but should get one at some point to clarify what I did.

Dropped off the tranny at a tranny repair shop in Eau Claire this evening. Gonna get a rebuild and have a kit put in to boost the pressure a little bit and get less slippage on shifts.
Attached Images

Old Mustard, 1972 Chevy C20, 350, TH350, 4.10 Dana 60 rear, owned since I was 16 in 1986
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=545356

Blue Bell, 1987 K20, 6.2L Diesel, TH400/NP208, 4.10 gears

Ustahav 1976 K10, 350/350/203, Gov Loc, Yooper beater trail truck.
Mustard72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 12:58 AM   #4
mjensen

Looks like you're making some good progress! Good job!

'69 GMC 3/4 ton 4x4 Build Thread
mjensen is offline   Reply With Quote