The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-06-2017, 12:52 PM   #1
Qbkeep

Drum to disk conversion

Just joined after reading through all these old forums for weeks, I just wanted to get a fresh view on doing an all around disc brake conversion on the 70' k5 cst I just picked up. After reading and doing research I'm starting to lean towards replacing the axles instead of adding parts to the open knuckle 44. This is the first time rebuilding a truck, and all feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Qbkeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:13 PM   #2
hemi43

Re: Drum to disk conversion

IMO I would forget about putting discs in the rear. Other that bragging rights, you wont gain anything. As far as the fronts, it's been discussed a few times, but on my '70 I made my own conversion. If you're handy and can do basic machining, you should have no problems.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 05:45 PM   #3
Qbkeep

Your right about the rears, still have drums in the rear of my 2010 Silverado so should be fine with the 70'. The one thing that was kind of swaying me towards going with a newer front axle is the addition of the steering stabilizer. As ive read all about the steering geometry being off, especially with the larger tires. As I'm planning on doing a 4" lift with 35 x 12.5 crossover steering box was also in the thought. But if people have seen positive results with the newer axle with the stabilizer I'd have to reconsider things
Qbkeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 06:51 PM   #4
hemi43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qbkeep View Post
Your right about the rears, still have drums in the rear of my 2010 Silverado so should be fine with the 70'. The one thing that was kind of swaying me towards going with a newer front axle is the addition of the steering stabilizer. As ive read all about the steering geometry being off, especially with the larger tires. As I'm planning on doing a 4" lift with 35 x 12.5 crossover steering box was also in the thought. But if people have seen positive results with the newer axle with the stabilizer I'd have to reconsider things
Where did you read that the geometry changes with larger tires? On a solid front axle, this is impossible because the camber is built into the axle and the welded on spring perches gives you your caster. Also, the use of a steering stabilizer is not an issue.I have one on mine. Like I said, my truck is a '70 with 12.5 X 33 tires, and I've driven it 80MPH with no white knuckles. The only thing I would recommend with a larger tire is to increase the caster a bit with the use of tapered shims between the axle and springs. I have about 6-7 degrees total.
hemi43 is offline   Reply With Quote