The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-12-2017, 06:51 AM   #1
atotalnincompoop

Last minute build issues, camaro clip

I'm at the tail end of building my 55 gmc. I have a camaro clip and rack and pinion setup from a chrysler 300. It's all done and looking good.
I was excited to order a set of detroit steel wheels, I measured and calculated what I needed several times. Once I was confident in my offset requirements, I called and ordered my wheels, the fronts were to be 18x8 with 5" back space, I was going to order 225 tires. The truck is bagged and rides low. My salesperson told me to run 245 tires and get 4.5" back space. She said that would work better for me. I figured they knew better to me...that was my first mistake.
My wheels arrived, I took them to my painter and got them painted, then had my 245 tires put on. Upon installing them on my truck they are too wide and rub the inside of the front fenders. I can't turn at all.

Here is my question...I understand that I can change my truck width by swapping out my control arms to 78-87 g body (monte carlo, regal, etc) control arms. Adjusting my rack setup width is not an issue. I did a little research in the archives about doing this, have any of you guys done or seen this done? What do I need and what do I need to know?
It's too late to switch clips and I'm not paying $1000 for the heidts or fatman narrowed control arms
Any input would be appreciated
Greg
atotalnincompoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:00 AM   #2
atotalnincompoop

Re: Last minute build issues, camaro clip

Old 07-12-2017, 07:54 AM   #3
mongocanfly
Post Whore

As far along as you are the simplist thing would be new tires and wheels..if your confident of b/s and width...even though that would suck
Nice looking truck....
mongocanfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 07:58 AM   #4
atotalnincompoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongocanfly View Post
As far along as you are the simplist thing would be new tires and wheels..if your confident of b/s and width...even though that would suck
Nice looking truck....
I'd prefer to adjust the width, probably wouldn't take to long if I had all the parts required.
I don't want to give the wheel manufacturer another cent.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:48 AM   #5
gigamanx

Not sure of track width of the chrysler 300, but the backspacing seem about right from what I've researched for myself. I've read anywhere from 4.5 to 6" back spacing with 8" wide tires. 245 seems to be the norm for the truck, but I wonder if your sales person took into account the front clip. I haven't pulled the trigger and ordered yet, but I definitely want 20" steelies. Your truck looks sweet, so hopefully you can figure it out.

I actually wish there was a way to test some sizes out on these rides before dropping all that money only to find the wheels don't fit. Maybe some measurements like this beforehand would help if you do decide to re-order: http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/whe...-size-matters/

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:52 AM   #6
reaper71

Greg, I have a Camaro stub under my 52 "project orangepeel" and ran into the same issue and I ended up getting upper tubular arms from speedway for stock car that are 1" narrowed for really cheap and then I cut the lowers myself and narrowed them and welded them back together the shot I have below is the front end all finished with the new upper arms.the part # from speedway 91034397 $42.99 each and you can select the length
The reason I cut my lowers was they didnt offer the lower ones narrowed.I couldnt find the shots of me cutting and welding the lowers back together.

Mark
Attached Images

reaper71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 09:53 AM   #7
atotalnincompoop

They were aware of my setup. I'm a full disclosure kinda guy so what happened doesn't happen.
4.5" of backspace is not enough for this application. The wheels are very nice, I'm happy with the product, they are quick to respond while the sale is pending but after you pay, it changes. What a disappointment, I looked forward to doing a build where I could use their wheels.
Old 07-12-2017, 09:55 AM   #8
atotalnincompoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaper71 View Post
Greg, I have a Camaro stub under my 52 "project orangepeel" and ran into the same issue and I ended up getting upper tubular arms from speedway for stock car that are 1" narrowed for really cheap and then I cut the lowers myself and narrowed them and welded them back together the shot I have below is the front end all finished with the new upper arms.the part # from speedway 91034397 $42.99 each and you can select the length
The reason I cut my lowers was they didnt offer the lower ones narrowed.I couldnt find the shots of me cutting and welding the lowers back together.

Mark
Thnx mark, that looks good. I will look into this more after work. 🍺
Old 07-12-2017, 10:28 AM   #9
atotalnincompoop

Quote:

Mark
X what whee,l tire size and offset are u running?
Old 07-12-2017, 10:29 AM   #10
CountofMonteCarlo84

I run 215's up front with a C4 Vette subframe and it still runs when trying to cut all the way. I'm going to roll the inner fender lips and it should get me half an inch or so I hope. Maybe this is an option to help a little for you. BTW the truck looks awesome.
CountofMonteCarlo84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 11:33 AM   #11
atotalnincompoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountofMonteCarlo84 View Post
I run 215's up front with a C4 Vette subframe and it still runs when trying to cut all the way. I'm going to roll the inner fender lips and it should get me half an inch or so I hope. Maybe this is an option to help a little for you. BTW the truck looks awesome.
My fender lips are rolled, still too tight
Old 07-12-2017, 12:43 PM   #12
reaper71

Greg, Right now they are stock G.M. wheels 15" and they were rubbing (My truck is a static drop and sits 3" off ground) so I narrowed the arms therefor giving me about 1" clearance that I needed I also will be running 18x8 in the front when I get to that point.

Mark
reaper71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 04:13 PM   #13
ptc

I have the camaro clip on mine and I am running an 18x7 wheel with 4.5" backspace with a 225 on it. No rubbing. You have to remember that the OVERALL width is 1" more than the actual WHEEL SIZE. It is measured from inside the rim lip. So an 8" wide rim is really 9" wide overall, 7" =8" , 6"=7", etc etc.

I was first using a 18x6 with a 215 tire and that worked nice also. Just not too many tires avail for a 6" rim width, so I went to a 7" with the new wheels.

Im using the QA-1 upper and lower control arms and coil overs. The only thing I messed up on was beleiving Summit racing that the small block springs could hold a BBC.... I need to change my springs out to 550 from 350 lb .... or it just sits on the lower snubbers....

I have an xcel worksheet I made up for the 55-59 trucks (mine with a 4 link rear, camaro front) if ya need a copy of it. You fill in the dia and width and the backspace and it figures all the measurements between fenders and frame
Old 07-12-2017, 10:38 PM   #14
atotalnincompoop

So what I am going to do tomorrow is order a set of g-body lower tubular control arms that are 1 1/4" shorter than the stock camaro lowers, I am also going to order a set of the race tubular uppers for the camaro clip that are 1 1/4" shorter than stock. This should move the spindle in evenly. I am also going to order a set of coil over shocks for the front and for the rear.
Any suggestions on the spring Rates?
Old 07-13-2017, 08:43 AM   #15
Bubba54

Ive installed a set of qa1 front coilovers on my 54 gmc truck. I too wasn’t sure of the spring rate. What I did was go to the local QT and weighed my truck. First total weight, then pulled just the front end on the scale, then the back end. The two front and rear weights totals were 40 lb. short of the total. I guess not bad for a scale meant to weigh tractor trailers.

Called QA1 twice for their thoughts and called the selling vender, and came up with 450 lb. spring rate. They work just fine. I think the 55 will weigh a bit more than the 47-54.

I too have a Camaro clip on the 54, and they are a bit wide for the 47-54. I cut an inch out of the top and bottom a frames. Later I found out about the race arms from speedway. I wish I would of known before I narrowed the tops. They work fine just not that easy to do.

Didn’t know about the G-body frames. Sounds like you’re on the right track.
Good luck Shawn
Old 07-13-2017, 09:51 AM   #16
rapid49

Quote:

Mark
What did you do to get the tie rod length correct ?
rapid49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:54 AM   #17
ptc

350 -400 lbs rates for the SBC, 550-600 lbs rates for the BBC is what I was told by QA-1 for their arms....

Ive got a set of 350lb I need to sell because they are too small for my BBC.

They are QA1 - part number 10HT350
Old 07-13-2017, 09:57 AM   #18
atotalnincompoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba54 View Post
Ive installed a set of qa1 front coilovers on my 54 gmc truck. I too wasn’t sure of the spring rate. What I did was go to the local QT and weighed my truck. First total weight, then pulled just the front end on the scale, then the back end. The two front and rear weights totals were 40 lb. short of the total. I guess not bad for a scale meant to weigh tractor trailers.

Called QA1 twice for their thoughts and called the selling vender, and came up with 450 lb. spring rate. They work just fine. I think the 55 will weigh a bit more than the 47-54.

I too have a Camaro clip on the 54, and they are a bit wide for the 47-54. I cut an inch out of the top and bottom a frames. Later I found out about the race arms from speedway. I wish I would of known before I narrowed the tops. They work fine just not that easy to do.

Didn’t know about the G-body frames. Sounds like you’re on the right track.
Good luck Shawn
450 lbs springs, is the ride stiff?
Old 07-13-2017, 09:59 AM   #19
atotalnincompoop

I have an iron block vortec with aluminum heads, I'm assuming it's similar in weight to a sbc
Old 07-13-2017, 10:57 AM   #20
Bubba54

The ride is nice, I have mine set on 12 for the shock valving. I have tried 6-8 and it does feel softer.

Thanks Shawn
Old 07-13-2017, 01:24 PM   #21
ptc

Quote:
Originally Posted by atotalnincompoop View Post
I have an iron block vortec with aluminum heads, I'm assuming it's similar in weight to a sbc
Yes I think that would be even lighter with the alum heads, plus it looks like you have no front bumper and brackets, that alot of added weight, but otherwise you have all the typical sheetmetal of a 55-59 3100 truck yes?

I would think you could go a little lighter - The QA1 guy was basing it off a Gen 2 Camaro at 3780 lbs total with 60% on the front end. So thats about 2200 lbs and he recommended the 350 with SBC and 550 for a BBC to me.
Old 07-13-2017, 01:42 PM   #22
atotalnincompoop

I just haven't installed my bumpers yet.
Old 07-13-2017, 05:33 PM   #23
atotalnincompoop

Any suggestions on rear?
Old 07-14-2017, 05:50 AM   #24
atotalnincompoop

Good morning, I ordered everything from speedway last night.
Upper and lower control arms as well as front and rear QA1 coilovers.
Thanks everyone for your input.🍺👍
I'll post as I go when my parts get here.

I also sent detroit steel wheels yet another email last night.
What an absolute disappointment that outfit is.
I am building hot rods full time here, this was my first purchase from them. I was looking forward to using them of several other projects.
They haven't responded to me, hopefully they can find time to respond👎
Old 07-14-2017, 12:08 PM   #25
CountofMonteCarlo84

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountofMonteCarlo84 View Post
Darn haha. How much space did you clear up when rolling them?
CountofMonteCarlo84 is offline   Reply With Quote