The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-21-2021, 07:04 AM   #1
Six862m6

'68 Turn Signal Half Moon Connector Location

Hi all, another hopefully quick question here (again, did both a Google and Forum search and didn't come up with the info I was looking for).

I am in the middle of replacing the main under dash harness on my '68 GMC. Purchased the factory correct harness for '67-'68s from AAW, been a breeze really. Man was my old, original harness in terrible shape from years of PO abuse (and even me just making things work for the time being when I got the truck over 10 years ago).

Now my question is this; does the turn signal switch half moon connector mount/clip somewhere under the dash (it looks as if it does have a slide in clip in the middle on the top of it) or does it just free hang back here behind the gauge panel?
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2021, 11:03 AM   #2
LockDoc
The Older Generation

Re: '68 Turn Signal Half Moon Connector Location

-
I have never seen one that was actually clipped to anything under there.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 11:27 AM   #3
BigBird05

should sit on top of the column.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 11:36 AM   #4
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

That is the connector for the steering column wires other end should be coming out of the column, if yours is factory that is. Most of mine free hung, unless I zip-tied the bundle up some.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 11:41 AM   #5
Six862m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBird05 View Post
should sit on top of the column.
That's what I thought as well given the shape of it but there is absolutely no way, it's much too short to reach the column and be connected to the light and wiper switches. My old harness wouldn't have been able to sit there either. AAW prides themselves on being very true to the factory specs and from everything I've seen from them so far (this harness as well as a new engine and front lighting harness under the hood) they've been spot on.

Last edited by Six862m6; 10-21-2021 at 11:46 AM.
Six862m6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 11:45 AM   #6
Six862m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palf70Step View Post
That is the connector for the steering column wires other end should be coming out of the column, if yours is factory that is. Most of mine free hung, unless I zip-tied the bundle up some.
Yep, I just haven't connected it to the column side yet as I am replacing the current turn signal switch as well. It's a new style (flat connector) that has an adapter to the half moon connector on it currently. My column is stock, non tilt.

Was just curious if it the connector just hung freely or clipped in place somewhere was all. As another member mentioned, it looks like it should sit on the column given it's shape but there is no way it would reach.

Thanks!
Old 10-21-2021, 11:46 AM   #7
pjmoreland

I believe it should be hanging from that metal tab that's on the firewall directly above the speedometer cable. You have your main cable bundle hanging from it, but I believe the main cable bundle is supposed to be attached to similar tabs on the rear of the dashboard above the gauge panel.
Attached Images

Last edited by pjmoreland; 10-21-2021 at 11:52 AM.
pjmoreland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2021, 11:48 AM   #8
Six862m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
I believe it should be hanging from a metal tab that's on the firewall directly above the speedometer cable.
Nice! I'll take a look at that this evening or tomorrow when I get the chance! Thanks and thanks for the pic!
Old 10-21-2021, 11:52 AM   #9
pjmoreland

I modified my response above based on your photo.
Old 10-21-2021, 11:54 AM   #10
Six862m6

Quote:
I modified my response above based on your photo.
Hmmm, interesting. I'll check into that too. Thanks!
Old 10-21-2021, 12:17 PM   #11
pjmoreland

Here's a better photo that shows one of the other tabs up above the gauge cluster where the main bundle is routed.
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2021, 06:16 AM   #12
Six862m6

Quote:
Here's a better photo that shows one of the other tabs up above the gauge cluster where the main bundle is routed.
Good call on this pjmoreland! I rearranged my harness like how your picture shows and I think it will work out nicely. Puts less stress on the wiper switch wires too.
Attached Images

Old 10-22-2021, 10:38 AM   #13
pjmoreland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six862m6 View Post
Good call on this pjmoreland! I rearranged my harness like how your picture shows and I think it will work out nicely. Puts less stress on the wiper switch wires too.
Looks nice, and looks like you're at a convenient point to make adjustments.
Old 10-29-2021, 07:03 AM   #14
Six862m6

Quote:
Looks nice, and looks like you're at a convenient point to make adjustments.
Any chance you can tell me how your wiring from the turn signal/hazard switch on the column is run? I know it runs down the little metal channel on the bottom of the column but I'm more concerned with once it reaches the dash? I've posted a couple of pictures of how I think it should be run under there (the hand brake for the parking brake should mount over it I'm thinking? And then up and around on the left side toward the connector on the main dash harness?) once I get my new turn signal switch in. Any pointers?

Thanks!
Attached Images

Old 10-29-2021, 10:59 AM   #15
pjmoreland

I have it running through the small space above and to the left of the column just behind the gauge cluster. Mine doesn't have a straight connector with an adapter on it though, so I can just barely wiggle the curved connector through that opening with the column and gauge cluster in place. You might have to do some partial disassembly to get that larger connector through.
Attached Images

Old 10-29-2021, 11:51 AM   #16
Six862m6

Quote:
I have it running through the small space above and to the left of the column just behind the gauge cluster. Mine doesn't have a straight connector with an adapter on it though, so I can just barely wiggle the curved connector through that opening with the column and gauge cluster in place. You might have to do some partial disassembly to get that larger connector through.
Gotcha, thanks for the info, I'll take a look at that! No worries on the flat connector; the new switch I have coming has the correct half moon connector on it (main reason I'm swapping it out) so no adapter either!
Old 10-29-2021, 11:57 AM   #17
pjmoreland

You can see the wires coming through the little opening in this photo.
Attached Images

Old 11-01-2021, 06:13 PM   #18
zosoppp

Here's a photo of mine taken through the I/P hole before I removed it from the cab to recreate/replace the dash harness. The clamp is on a metal flange behind the dash face to the left of the steering column.
Attached Images

Old 11-02-2021, 06:17 AM   #19
Six862m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by zosoppp View Post
Here's a photo of mine taken through the I/P hole before I removed it from the cab to recreate/replace the dash harness. The clamp is on a metal flange behind the dash face to the left of the steering column.
So there is a clamp! I thought the top of that connector looks like it slides on to something. I will have to see if I can find that, thanks!

Also.... I'm trying to orient your pictures and description in my head; in your second picture on the upper right, is that your steering column with the white band around it? Are we basically looking to the left of the column, through the dash where the instrument panel would be, the dark area behind the wires being your cab floor/wall?

Last edited by Six862m6; 11-02-2021 at 06:48 AM.
Six862m6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2021, 10:45 AM   #20
zosoppp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Six862m6 View Post
So there is a clamp! I thought the top of that connector looks like it slides on to something. I will have to see if I can find that, thanks!

Also.... I'm trying to orient your pictures and description in my head; in your second picture on the upper right, is that your steering column with the white band around it? Are we basically looking to the left of the column, through the dash where the instrument panel would be, the dark area behind the wires being your cab floor/wall?
The white thing in the second photo is a homemade bump stop for the clutch pedal arm mounted on the steel plate which holds the steering column up. The column itself would be further off to the right. For whatever reason the clutch pedal was way too high for driving otherwise.

These pictures are both of the bottom left corner of the I/P opening in the dash.
Old 11-02-2021, 06:46 PM   #21
zosoppp

Quote:
The white thing in the second photo is a homemade bump stop for the clutch pedal arm mounted on the steel plate which holds the steering column up. The column itself would be further off to the right. For whatever reason the clutch pedal was way too high for driving otherwise.

These pictures are both of the bottom left corner of the I/P opening in the dash.
Here is a shot taken today of the Column and I/P cutout in the dash with the column end of the connector (dash harness is out).

Also a shot of the harness side connector which has the clip.
Attached Images

Old 11-02-2021, 06:49 PM   #22
pjmoreland

Quote:
Here is a shot taken today of the Column and I/P cutout in the dash with the column end of the connector (dash harness is out).

Also a shot of the harness side connector which has the clip.
Does your truck have a bendable metal hold down like is shown in post #14 on the firewall? It should be directly above the speedometer cable.
Old 11-02-2021, 07:12 PM   #23
zosoppp

Quote:
Does your truck have a bendable metal hold down like is shown in post #14 on the firewall? It should be directly above the speedometer cable.
I'll have to check tomorrow, but mine is a 1970 with the parking brake pedal not the hand brake lever, so that harness routing might be a little bit different. There are the two tabs over the top corners of the I/P hole to carry the harness over the I/P, and there might be another one on the bottom of the cowl to carry it forward and down to the fuse panel, but I don't recall at the moment.

Also the 1970 fuse block is mounted up and down, not right and left also because of the change in parking brake from lever to pedal.
Old 11-03-2021, 06:31 AM   #24
Six862m6

Quote:
I'll have to check tomorrow, but mine is a 1970 with the parking brake pedal not the hand brake lever, so that harness routing might be a little bit different. There are the two tabs over the top corners of the I/P hole to carry the harness over the I/P, and there might be another one on the bottom of the cowl to carry it forward and down to the fuse panel, but I don't recall at the moment.

Also the 1970 fuse block is mounted up and down, not right and left also because of the change in parking brake from lever to pedal.
Yea I was curious about what jpmoreland posted as well. Took a pic last night of the same area on my truck and was about to say that I definitely don't have a clip in that area but if the clip is part of the harness and not the dash.... that would also be the reason.

They may very well be routed differently from 67-68 and 69-72 because of the hand brake / fuse panel direction situation.
Attached Images

Old 11-09-2021, 02:16 PM   #25
68 P.O.S.

Wow, this has piqued my interest. I found this thread on it as well. https://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vbo...d.php?t=783502
I wonder if these clips are reproduced?