The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans & Panels Message Board > 1967 - 1972 Chevy/GMC Suburbans and PanelsProjects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 03-13-2013, 07:19 AM   #26
logansdad

Re: 1972 Kid Carrier Project

[QUOTE=capev86;5943735]Gear Vendors sucks....costs tons of money plus all that custom fab work required and the o/d ratio isn't very good (that's why Copperhead was still turning 2500rpm at 60). these really belong under a motor home or in a vehicle that is always towing heavy loads where the extra power and gear splitting is most useful. otherwise just a modern overdrive trans and moderate rear axle will net you the best mpg. my dad's 87 burb c10 didn't really lose any mpg going from a 3.08 to 3.73 (soft gear made for a lot of shift hunting) and his current 99 burb c1500 350 w/ 3.42 rear gets 22mpg on the highway.

i see no reason to change when the original 307 in my 72 Burb C20 runs so beautifully (thanks to a Petronix kit and a Q-jet swap). but those modern LS engines are awesome and you can't beat fuel injection on cross country trips (carbs don't automatically adjust to altitude changes). i'd love to stick the 4" stroker crank from a z06 motor in a 5.3 for the best balance of pulling power and economy.[/QUOTE
Im sorry you feel that way about the gear vendor. I know first hand the usefulness these units have. The only fab work is shortening the drive shaft it bolts up to the transmission. As far as more gears equals more mpgs just take the new dodge truck with an8 speed that gets 25 mpg. Do you think that would happen with a 4 speed? I will be towing approx 10k cross country but live in flat country Florida. Having 8 speeds will improve my particular situation maybe not for everyone.

Copperhead also was a 3 speed with a low rear gear made to smoke the back tires. Not to save gas and daily drive.
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
logansdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:04 PM   #27
POS1

I don't thnk GVs sucks, but I'm building the same truck you are - kid hauler, reliable, comfy inside. My 350 runs great, so I have a hard time spending $$ on a new engine, so I'm gonna spend it now on interior. Climate control will clearly be the biggest issue, but I haven't heard a great solution yet. I will get FI on it at some point though, just not sure how yet.

What are you planning for seats and climate control?
Posted via Mobile Device
1986 Jeep CJ7
1969 Porsche 911S Targa
POS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:06 PM   #28
logansdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by POS1 View Post
I don't thnk GVs sucks, but I'm building the same truck you are - kid hauler, reliable, comfy inside. My 350 runs great, so I have a hard time spending $$ on a new engine, so I'm gonna spend it now on interior. Climate control will clearly be the biggest issue, but I haven't heard a great solution yet. I will get FI on it at some point though, just not sure how yet.

What are you planning for seats and climate control?
Posted via Mobile Device
Seats- I'm keeping the back and middle seats and recovering them with a black leather suede combo. The back seat will need to be narrowed b/c of the tub, and the brackets removed to lay flat on the new floor height. As far as the front seats I would love to have some escalade buckets with console.

Climate control-I have two options

Option 1- have two seperate units using one condersor and compressor. Located under dash and in spare tire location in back. the back a.c. would have vents located in roof. Old air products gave me this Look at part number CAP-7211-I for the front unit and IP-2000T or IP-2005T for the rear unit. I would rather have a digital controller

Option 2- Have one a.c. system and run vents in floor to back seat locations.
Old 04-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #29
logansdad

been a while since I posted anything new so here's some pics of rocker replacement. I had ordered the rocker for the 3rd door but was on back order. Good thing that one was in the best shape. I found out the drivers side rear quarter wasn't replaced, it was recapped for a lack of better term. Right at the horizontal roll off the door handle the quarter stuck out over 3/8".
I took the plasma cutter and cut a horizontal line only after removing the spot welds in the door jam and took the raised quarter down to fitting the door. I can't wait to strip that down to bare metal and see where else it is seemed together.
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2013, 08:29 PM   #30
logansdad

I always wanted to do this to a truck with the 93 and back deville tail lights but they we're too long for the burb so I'm going wit the 94-99 deville L.E.D lights. I had to think about placement, and I like that these lights will curve with the edge of the quarter after I trim the extra off of the bezel. I also ordered a roll pan from Grant Kustoms and it should be here by Tuesday. I had thought about making one but for $200.00, and I know it will fit, is a better deal.
Attached Images

Old 05-04-2013, 09:24 PM   #31
jmedero

The roll pan is Burb specific?
I've thought about putting truck bed lower rear sections on the Burb then using the truck roll pan.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-04-2013, 09:27 PM   #32
logansdad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmedero View Post
The roll pan is Burb specific?
I've thought about putting truck bed lower rear sections on the Burb then using the truck roll pan.
Posted via Mobile Device
Yes they made one to fit up to my tailgate hinges I will post pics when I get it
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 05-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #33
logansdad

after looking at the taillight a few days I lowered it back down to fit in the flat area of the original space. And here is the new roll pan from Grant Kustoms. This thing fits like a glove for the suburban!!!!! very happy with the professional sevice and product of this company
Attached Images

Old 02-23-2015, 12:28 AM   #34
twistedchevy

Bump
72 c10 GMC burb 350/400, with 67 Chevy front clip(grocery getter)
Ours: 67 c30 tow truck
70 c10 long bed 383stroker w/digital gauges(work truck)
twistedchevy is offline   Reply With Quote