The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-11-2024, 09:06 PM   #1
FatherandSon

Cold Case Radiator Trouble x 3

I installed a Cold Case Radiator on my '50 AD Chevy build (SBC 383ci 400hp/AT/AC) and thought the quality, fit and appearance was good so I went back to Cold Case when I needed a replacement for my '69 C20 (SBC 350ci 290hp/AT/AC). Unfortunately, it started leaking from a tube after a couple months. I contacted Cold Case who required photos of an active leak (which I provided) but they would not pay for shipping to return the defective radiator. Fortunately, I had purchased the radiator through Summit and they replaced it promptly without shipping charges. Unfortunately, it also started leaking, this time from a tank. Here's where I confess stupidity - I initially looked for a comparably priced US made radiator but couldn't find one and I was really sold on Cold Case's 1.25" two row tube design so I thought "this must be a fluke/third time is the charm" but NO! It leaked as well, but worse than the first two. I'm not sure if this is a case of a bad batch from China or what but I thought I'd put it out there for you all. On the upside, Summit processed all 3 returns promptly and I'm very proficient at R&Ring a radiator!
FatherandSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 07:57 AM   #2
Joyridin

Re: Cold Case Radiator Trouble x 3

Interesting because the CC radiators I warranted and the ones my brother warranted did not need to be sent back. You just take a picture of the leak, the serial number of the radiator, and they send a new one. I think I had to pay for shipping. After the 2nd bad one, the brand new radiator in the box went up for sale. Way too much time and investment for their cheap garbage.
Joyridin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 06:26 PM   #3
Sheepdip

I know nothing about Cold Case Radiators....what I do know is I have 3 Champion aluminum radiators currently installed in a 49 Chevrolet pickup, a 1940 F*rd and a 1970 GMC with never a hint of a problem.

All 3 vehicles have A/C systems and get a work out in the summer months. One is over 20 years old.

I have no affiliation with Champion only good luck with their products.
Sheepdip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2024, 06:46 PM   #4
leddzepp

I’ve used 2 Champion radiators myself and have no complaints or problems with them. I’m also in Riverside and their warehouse is local (Lake Elsinore) and you can buy in person at the counter.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:16 AM   #5
Already Gone
70+ ( Old Skool Club )

I am lucky that there is old fashioned Rad Shop in my City. I took my original rad which was a 3 row but had 4 row tanks to that shop and they put a new 4 row core into it and also had my original heater core rebuilt with a new core as figured if I didn't and it being 50 + years old would be the weak link in the cooling system. Speaking of Cold Case I installed a set of their made for 67-72's Silicone Rad Hoses and they fit except had to trim a smidge of the bottom one where it connects to the rad.

Members I have personally met: MusicMan70 - HeavyD - ChewyChevy67 - StingRay -71SWB4x4 - 67 Burb - DeadheadNM - too much stuff - bc65 - das601

" Circumsatances Do Not Change Responsibility "

" The Sky is not the Limit, Your Mind is." Marilyn Monroe ..

RIP Charlie Watts 1941 - 2021
Already Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 11:56 AM   #6
HO455
Post Whore

I have had only one encounter with Cold Case radiators and it wasn't good. I ordered one for my Burban and found that it fit poorly. Poor enough that I returned it fearing i would have the kind of failure you did.

Here is a link to the story. Scroll to post 333 to start.

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=8235484
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote