The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-20-2021, 09:39 PM   #51
LT7A

Re: 1965 C10 Fleet Project - unfinished business

My first time reading your thread - wind chimes, haha! Very clean build! This may you be your first truck build, but you very obviously know your way around quality cleaning, finishing, parts, and assembly. You do your research too - nice work. Nobody will be able to believe that your truck was built in a carport. But thank goodness that isn't keeping you from doing it! With as clean as your chassis is, I thought I would mention that you might want to isolate your aluminum lowering blocks on the trailing arms from the arms and connections. The paint or powder coat should be helping you, and I would recommend that you grease the u-bolts with dielectric grease and you can get Teflon sheets to sandwich between the blocks and the arms if you want that added protection. The dielectric grease doesn't conduct electricity so that helps keep the dissimilar metals from dissolving each other. I'm guessing this is going to be a nice-day driver, but the aluminum will oxidize in normal air and water and chemicals will accelerate that. And anywhere that it touches the steel will set the galvanic action in motion. I hope you don't mind me being so specific, but I can tell that you're a detail guy. And your chassis is going together so cleanly, that I would hate to see those parts corrode since they don't know how to play nice with each other. Keep on though, I will enjoy following this!

Last edited by LT7A; 12-20-2021 at 09:53 PM.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2021, 09:50 PM   #52
LT7A

Here is the PTFE craft sheet I was talking about. I was able to get some locally from a hobby store and you can cut it with scissors.

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=...o&dct=1&adurl=

Anyway, I like your work. Carry on!
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2021, 03:17 AM   #53
jmarkha1

LT7A - many thanks for taking the time to share re. PTFE isolation and the positive feedback- it does help the motivation 😀. School day everyday for me with these trucks and i’m enjoying it.

the carport certainly majesty our plan your work- UK weather is not very forgiving- however I have just secured a garage for the project which will allow for some winter progress - in relative warmth - thx jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
Here is the PTFE craft sheet I was talking about. I was able to get some locally from a hobby store and you can cut it with scissors.

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=...o&dct=1&adurl=

Anyway, I like your work. Carry on!