The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-03-2021, 09:03 PM   #1
72kat

difficult to get into park

Greetings,
I have a 72 c10 with turbo 350. The problem I am having is that it is tuff to put into park. Fiddle with the selector, pull towards you and it will go into park with significant force.

Before I crawl under it, where should I look for the problem?

thanks.
72kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 09:10 PM   #2
truckster

Re: difficult to get into park

Check the pin in the selector lever. Those tend to slide out and cause problems.
Old 12-03-2021, 10:20 PM   #3
BigBird05

Some people have had this problem from old and dryed out grease in the steering column collar. There have been some write ups about how to clean and lube the inside of the steering column.
BigBird05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2021, 11:11 PM   #4
LockDoc
The Older Generation

-
Before you spend a lot of time trying to figure it out, try spraying some PB Blaster or other GOOD penetrating oil into the opening around the shift lever, where it goes into the column. Be sure it is in Neutral and the wheels are blocked. Stick the nozzle into the small open areas around the lever and give it good spray. Then pull the lever back toward you and push it down toward the dash, Do this 3 or 4 times and see if it loosens up. The lever should move up and down a couple of inches. Spray the column at the bottom under the hood too. Let us know if that makes any difference.

If you have a nice floor mat or carpet put a piece of plastic or other protection under the work area and under the full length of the interior column.

LockDoc

Locksmith, Specializing In Antique Trucks, Automobiles, & Motorcycles

(My Dually Pickup Project Thread)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=829820

-

Last edited by LockDoc; 12-03-2021 at 11:16 PM.
LockDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 02:25 PM   #5
HO455
Post Whore

If LockDoc's solution helps but doesn’t cure the problem it may be that the lower bearing surface for the shifter (not the column) is rusted as mine was. I had to remove the column and replace the bearing ring the shifter mechanism rides inside of.
If it breaks I didn't want it in the first place
The WMB repair thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=698377
HO455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 04:15 PM   #6
davischevy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockDoc View Post
-
Before you spend a lot of time trying to figure it out, try spraying some PB Blaster or other GOOD penetrating oil into the opening around the shift lever, where it goes into the column. Be sure it is in Neutral and the wheels are blocked. Stick the nozzle into the small open areas around the lever and give it good spray. Then pull the lever back toward you and push it down toward the dash, Do this 3 or 4 times and see if it loosens up. The lever should move up and down a couple of inches. Spray the column at the bottom under the hood too. Let us know if that makes any difference.

If you have a nice floor mat or carpet put a piece of plastic or other protection under the work area and under the full length of the interior column.

LockDoc
What he said.

Build thread, Arkansas K10
https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...=755797&page=5

The ability to speak several languages is an asset, but the ability to keep your mouth shut in any language is priceless.
davischevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2021, 12:34 PM   #7
72kat

Thanks. Will try the pb blaster and go from there.
Sorry for the delay, was off buying a seat for my truck.
72kat is offline   Reply With Quote