The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Electrical

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-21-2024, 09:00 PM   #1
'68OrangeSunshine

2003 Tahoe -- Driver Side Switch Panel Glitches

I just got this '03 2WD Tahoe, LS 4.8. The switches in the drivers door panel don't always work right.

1] The Rear View Mirror switch will let you set the LH mirror OK, but if You move the rocker switch right to adjust the Passenger mirror, it goes all screwy, and both mirrors dive for the Curb View mode. Turning Ignition Off, then On lets you reset the Drivers mirror. Passenger mirror is Tabu. Stuck in curb view.

2] Doors Unlock/Lock switch doesn't always work right. Both Rear Doors won't relock. Has to be done manually. Putting the Shifter in Park and cutting Ignition opens ALL door locks. I'm told this is a factory setting, but it's a PIA when I am Downtown to work and running late. Popping around to each of 6 doors [4 plus back barndoors] is time consuming. But it's better than the alternative of going unlocked and some crackhead lifting any of my power tools, or the surprise of some homeless guy sleeping in my truck.

3] Sometimes the Window Up/Down buttons don't work. Turning on the Door Locks master control button doesn't always work. Driver's window works -- mostly. Passenger forward window works sometimes. Or goes Down but not Up. Sometimes the switch on the passenger door works it, sometimes not. The other day, the rear RH window went down to half-mast unprompted, after Ignition was made, It was a hot afternoon, and the front Passenger wouldn't go down, so I left it during the run home. When I got home, I had to use the local window switch on Door #3.
Door #4 [LHR] Forget it. Doesn't work.

4] Is an Audio problem. The PO's CD is locked inside the CD/Cassette/AM/FM/Radio. Don't know how to eject it, nor how to play cassettes. I can tube in FM on local stations. Not interested in XM Satellite reception.

5] Temperature and Compass functions in the Rear View Mirror on the Windshield are Dead.

Every 25 years I like to rebuild that 292, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 04-21-2024 at 09:08 PM.
'68OrangeSunshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 09:19 PM   #2
Getter-Done

Re: 2003 Tahoe -- Driver Side Switch Panel Glitches

What is the condition of the wires that go thru the door to the body?

They have been bending for 21 years.
Is the boot still in good condition?
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 10:02 PM   #3
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getter-Done View Post
What is the condition of the wires that go thru the door to the body?

They have been bending for 21 years.
Is the boot still in good condition?
I will check that out.

The other day, I ran thru the fuse box behind the battery. I did not find any rodent sign there. Just a lot of dust and small leaves from a kind of tree that doesn'r grow on my property. Blew it out with canned air. Pulled one 50@ fuse but it's clear cover popped off and got lost. Fuse to the ECM. So I bought a new one. And a proper fuse puller. But leaving those fuses alone for now.
A couple weeks ago, in the Side-of-Dash pocket on the Drivers Side, I pulled out the Relay that controls all these door switches. No pits or burn marks but I didn't cycle the relay for function. Had to put it back to run the truck.

Old 04-21-2024, 10:17 PM   #4
Getter-Done

There is several U tube video's that indirectly touch on the issues of your Tahoe.

I hope it and easy fix for you.
63 Impala (my high school car)

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...Crew Cab Build
Getter-Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2024, 10:54 PM   #5
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getter-Done View Post
There is several U tube video's that indirectly touch on the issues of your Tahoe.

I hope it and easy fix for you.
Thanks I have seen a few.
The rubber jackets on the Door/Body wire bundles appeared intact.
I shot some pix. Also someone has loosened both Switch arrays. The P/S more loose than Drivers.

Looking at GMT800 Door Panel videos, it could be these amatuers broke some little plastic do-hickeys.
I'm less concerned with cosmetics than with bad switches, relays and wiring...

Taking the '71 Jimmy to work tomorrow.
Attached Images

Last edited by '68OrangeSunshine; 04-21-2024 at 11:29 PM.
Old 04-22-2024, 01:29 AM   #6
pjmoreland

The mirror compass in my old 2000 Tahoe would sometimes quit working, but twisting the ends of the mirror in opposite directions somewhat aggressively would bring it back for a while. If I remember correctly, I believe I took it apart eventually and cleaned some contacts inside.

Sounds like maybe the door lock actuators are tired in your rear doors.
pjmoreland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2024, 01:58 AM   #7
'68OrangeSunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjmoreland View Post
The mirror compass in my old 2000 Tahoe would sometimes quit working, but twisting the ends of the mirror in opposite directions somewhat aggressively would bring it back for a while. If I remember correctly, I believe I took it apart eventually and cleaned some contacts inside.

Sounds like maybe the door lock actuators are tired in your rear doors.
That whole truck is tired at 296,000. Maybe I should look for an automotive glue factory.
The Rear Doors Open when I put the Shifter into Park. That can be deprogrammed. But that level of 'witchcraft' is beyond me for now.

I can try twisting the mirror ends. Don't wanna break it.

One YT video suggested taking the PC board apart from under the main switch bank and cleaning the contacts. Advice varies from warm soapy water, to alcohol to a brass wire brush. These objects have more in common with AV remote controls than old automotive switches.

And apparently every one breaks the tiny plastic tabs on the door panel switch interfaces. There's a guy on EBay selling digitally printed repair boxes to rebuild your plastic clips.

The OEM replacement switch cost is inferred to be about $105. I need to get the LMC catalog for this vintage. If only for the exploded diagrams and descriptive nomenclature. I don't know what stuff is called.

Old 04-23-2024, 06:57 PM   #8
Bonestock3ott

My son had a 03 GMC Sierra 4 door pickup with switch issues, disassembled the switch and cleaned contacts ( rubber eraser and rubbing alcohol) and it worked much better but it would not unlock the drivers door (green corrosion on circuit board). Went to the pick and pull and found a replacement for like $10. Needed to combine parts from both switches to get all the functions to work. Foil/rubber HVAC duct tape worked well for holding switch together and also held it to the door panels from someone's poor attempt to remove switch/door panel without knowledge of hidden screws and clips
Bonestock3ott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2024, 12:50 AM   #9
'68OrangeSunshine

Thanks, Bonestock -- Yeah. I will be looking for a pick'n'pull or junkyard that has this vintage. I had to work a couple days, but I'm not back til Monday.