The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > Squarebody Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-12-2018, 09:52 AM   #1
Greenlee

Re: "Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2TRUX View Post
I did take Jake to the local Trucks and Coffee Sunday morning. I met my painter there and he gave the truck a good look to determine a plan of action. I also picked up a set of 73-80 front bumper brackets for Jake while I was out. That officially made it a business trip.
What’s this Trucks and Coffee you speak of? I love driving my truck and talking trucks, but I never seem to be in the know.

Jake would be awesome with a 6.2. I have a Yukon Denali with that motor. I sometimes have day dreams of something happing to it and I get to buy it back from the insurance company for the drive train.
Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:08 AM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlee View Post
What’s this Trucks and Coffee you speak of? I love driving my truck and talking trucks, but I never seem to be in the know.

Jake would be awesome with a 6.2. I have a Yukon Denali with that motor. I sometimes have day dreams of something happing to it and I get to buy it back from the insurance company for the drive train.
Trucks and Coffee is done locally by a group of classic truck lovers. Its a great way to spend a Sunday morning.

I too have had a few 6.2's and they are an excellent motor with no mods. Thats why I want one, and so does everyone else. They are 3-4x the cost of a 5.3 or 6.0.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 11:46 AM   #3
Greenlee

Quote:
Trucks and Coffee is done locally by a group of classic truck lovers. Its a great way to spend a Sunday morning.
Yeah. I asked because I don’t live that far from you. I used to live in Cypress, but now I’m on the south side of town. Around here, there’s a group of classic cars that meet at the Home Depot in Kemah on Saturday nights. That’s about all I’m aware of.
Greenlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2018, 04:47 PM   #4
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenlee View Post
Yeah. I asked because I don’t live that far from you. I used to live in Cypress, but now I’m on the south side of town. Around here, there’s a group of classic cars that meet at the Home Depot in Kemah on Saturday nights. That’s about all I’m aware of.
This is done in Bear Creek Park. Normally on the 1st Sunday of the month. Open to classic trucks up to 1998.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
Old 05-18-2018, 01:42 PM   #5
Devilman

Quote:

I too have had a few 6.2's and they are an excellent motor with no mods. Thats why I want one, and so does everyone else. They are 3-4x the cost of a 5.3 or 6.0.
A LBZ or LMM duramax can be had for somewhat decent price and they have plenty of power with a tune.....just sayin thatd be awesome in Jake
Devilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 11:42 AM   #6
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devilman View Post
A LBZ or LMM duramax can be had for somewhat decent price and they have plenty of power with a tune.....just sayin thatd be awesome in Jake
I have considered those as well. I have nothing against them, I just dont know them well enough. After a lot of research the 8.1 option is loosing momentum. They are a fantastic platform, but horrible on mileage. I feel that as over priced as the 6.2 is, it would be worth looking harder at based on my experience with them.

The most economical route would be to update the existing 454 with an aftermarket EFI. Adding better heads, cam, and intake would get decent mileage and performance. That would require an OD transmission which pushes the cost closer to a 6.2 conversion price.

My current 454, TH400 combo seems to be in usable condition. The carb needs attention, but in general it seems solid enough to consider a top end build. I need to run a compression check to verify that its still solid. If so, I may keep it with updates for now.

Articles-

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"