The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-30-2020, 08:22 PM   #1
ItWillBeSlow

Complete Fuel System - Tank to Carb questions

All,

I am replacing my cab tank with a bed mounted system and replacing all lines, fuel pump, filter and carb on my truck. I have some questions on the parts I am planning to use, as well as how to get everything together. Truck is a C20 350ci.

I plan to use these components:
Boyd aluminum tank (carb/side fill)
AC Delco standard fuel pump (autozone)
Edelbrock 1406 (600 cfm) or Edelbrock AVS1902 (650 CFM). Truck currently has the 1406 on it and needs replacing.
Edelbrock 1831 Carb inlet hose with metal filter.

My questions are mainly focused on the plumbing:
-Are there any fuel lines available that are already flared that can run from the bed tank to the pump?
-If I must flare my own, are there any lines to stay away from, or are they all the same?
-Do I use a rubber section of hose from the frame mounted hard line that feeds the pump inlet? Or can I use a braided steel line?
-Is a pre-bent and flared hose available that runs from pump to the carb inlet line?
-Has anyone used the edelbrock inlet hose with filter? Link below.
https://www.edelbrock.com/chrome-sin...lter-8131.html

Ive obviously never worked with my own hard lines before, if there is any general advice on flaring, NPT to AN connectors, etc, please share.

Thanks!
Old 09-30-2020, 09:05 PM   #2
notsolo

Re: Complete Fuel System - Tank to Carb questions

I have the Boyd tank like yours, came out of the front lower with 3/8 NPT reducer to 1/4 NPT 90 degree, ran strait up, this had a 5/16 barb fitting and I ran 5/16 rubber fuel hose to the frame....Also had a piece of braided 1/2" I put over this for protection...I bought a roll of nickle copper 5/16 x 25 ft....made a supply and return line. Other end, 5/16 rubber hose to mechanical fuel pump.bent lines from fuel pump to carb, Fuel filter added on mine on the frame near the tank.... I have the Eastwood flaring tool kit, makes double flares really well...really only needed for carb to fuel pump depending.. hope that helps.
notsolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:13 PM   #3
Carmen Black

I just wanted to say thumbs up to the Boyd Welding tank.

I am basically running Russell braided flex hose from the tank, through filters and regulators and then all the way to the engine. I am using Russell connectors to put it all together. Earls plumbing products are good too. Mine is for a LS engine running at 60 psi. You will probably be at 6 psi on a Carb, so you wouldn't need anything that built or expensive.

I would have preferred some hard lines to using all flex hose, but trying to make flare fittings and bend tube to run through a twisty frame makes me say lots of colorful words. Where as the braided flex hose will go anywhere you want it.

I also changed out my transmission cooler lines from hard lines to flex hose. The hard lines where in the way of me working on a never ending problem with my starter so it finally go to the point I pulled them out and threw them in the trash.
Old 09-30-2020, 11:35 PM   #4
gmc684x4

5/16 line for fuel return yes
3/8 for fuel line v8

Stock gm rear tank setup
Tank short rubber hose to hard fuel line line runs to fuel pump short rubber hose to fuel pump hard line to carb

I would save money run a hard line
No one will see fancy braided line under the truck
gmc684x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 10:45 AM   #5
fdbdw

I run that Edelbrock line & filter, works/fits great. I’ve disconnected it multiple times and used in on 3 different carbs, never had a problem and it looks good under the hood.

Just a suggestion but you might want to think about running an Edelbrock fuel pump since you’re buying one anyway. They are more expensive but they eliminated the need for regulator and also eliminates pressure issues which are the main cause for many problems people run into with Edelbrocks.

I have an Edelbrock 650 AVS2 for sale if you’re interested, very low miles on it, great carb, only reason I switched carbs was because I installed a bigger motor.
fdbdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 09:03 PM   #6
ItWillBeSlow

Thanks everyone for the input. To reply to a few items:

-Truck currently has no return, Id like to get away without one if possible. I suppose using the edelbrock 6PSI pump as mentioned might help support this. What would the standard Delco pump operate at?

-My thought on the braided or rubber line would only be from the pump outlet to the hard line feeding the carb, about 8" length max, not specifically for show, just flexibility for the engine movement.

-I hadn't thought about a flexible line from tank to the frame mounted hard line. Is this one necessary?

-fdbdw, Ill send you a PM about your carb. Might be interested pending price and condition.

Any additional comments or input welcome!

Thanks
Old 10-05-2020, 09:16 PM   #7
ItWillBeSlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItWillBeSlow View Post
Thanks everyone for the input. To reply to a few items:

-Truck currently has no return, Id like to get away without one if possible. I suppose using the edelbrock 6PSI pump as mentioned might help support this. What would the standard Delco pump operate at?

-My thought on the braided or rubber line would only be from the pump outlet to the hard line feeding the carb, about 8" length max, not specifically for show, just flexibility for the engine movement.

-I hadn't thought about a flexible line from tank to the frame mounted hard line. Is this one necessary?

-fdbdw, Ill send you a PM about your carb. Might be interested pending price and condition.

Any additional comments or input welcome!

Thanks
bump for any additional comments or feedback from those with experience!