The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-15-2020, 08:18 PM   #1
03BlkZ

Header and Exhaust question

As my build progresses I am now looking at a set of headers for my 350. I want them just for the look mainly and decided not to do long tunes because I hear they hang low. What mid length or shorty headers are everyone running? Also my truck is a 3 on the tree.

Next question is my truck has a 2.5 inch front and 4 inch rear drop. If I buy an exhaust system will they work on my lowered truck? I'm looking for bolt in with some headers. I didn't know if I would need custom exhaust with my drop.
Thanks
03BlkZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2020, 08:43 PM   #2
Ziegelsteinfaust

Re: Header and Exhaust question

I know on the later trucks using car long tubes tuck them up nicely. Which should be the same on your year as our frames are very similar.

Mid tubes 1 7/8's are not a bad choice, but I would prefer one tubes for the work myself.

The drop your describing only effects exhaust choices in 2 ways. If the headers hand to far down. You will bounce them off the truck. Or you may not be able to do a over the axle system due to lack of clearance there. Other then that a normal tuck job works fine.

I had a 5/7 drop with long tubes on a 74, and had no issues. Except I had it dump in front of the axle.
Ziegelsteinfaust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 08:58 AM   #3
special-K
Special Order

You can't use 3/4 length car headers on a manual transmission is the only thing. Those headers run right through where the clutch linkage is. The right fitting full length header will be fine with your 2.5" drop. The thing to look for is the LH back tube runs straight down or slightly forward to meet with the other pipes down below. The linkage is behind that vertical line.

GMC '67 C1500 Wideside Super Custom SWB: 327/M22/3.42 posi.........."The '67" (project)
GMC '72 K2500 Wideside Sierra Custom Camper: 350/TH350/4.10 Power-Lok..."The '72" (rolling)
Tim

"Don't call me a redneck. I'm a rough cut country gentleman"

R.I.P. ~ East Side Low Life ~ El Jay ~ 72BLUZ ~ Fasteddie69 ~ Ron586 ~ 67ChevyRedneck ~ Grumpy Old Man ~
special-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2020, 09:31 AM   #4
68 P.O.S.

Get good, quality headers. If you buy cheap $99 specials, you'll hate them. Good quality headers aren't cheap.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dou-d371y
Old 10-17-2020, 09:45 AM   #5
03BlkZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68 P.O.S. View Post
Get good, quality headers. If you buy cheap $99 specials, you'll hate them. Good quality headers aren't cheap.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dou-d371y
Thanks! I will look.into these headers. I know all about header quality. I have run headers on my corvettes for years and I have found you get what you pay for. Kooks or American Racing are the go to for those cars but this is a different animal.
03BlkZ is offline   Reply With Quote