The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-04-2006, 12:19 AM   #1
shifty
Questionable

Question Power steering gearbox - what thread/flare size?

I am trying to find a 90 degree elbow-to-nipple for the low pressure side of my power steering gearbox, but I don't have a clue what thread and flare the low pressure side and high pressure side are.

Can anyone clarify on this? I wanted to find something online or at a local store ASAP. My low pressure line is almost the only thing standing between me and having a complete working power steering setup for firing up my engine in a week or two. THANKS!

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
shifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:26 AM   #2
shifty
Questionable

Re: Power steering gearbox - what thread/flare size?

ttt

I can't check the forum daily. If I don't reply to you within 24 hours, drop me a PM! I'm (hopefully) still alive and will reply faster to a PM.
Old 10-04-2006, 02:09 PM   #3
grayw0lf

I'm not sure (I've put the lines on my power steering gearbox but haven't installed it yet), but I think the two connections are both 3/8". One is 3/8" flare & the other is 3/8" NPT.

I'm very curious to know for sure. I don't know if I'll get to it this weekend or not.

Please let me know your results if you beat me to it.
05' Dodge Neon
88' Winner Escape Sport 1750 - 4.3v6
94' Seadoo SP
84' Honda TRX200, bare nekkid. Just a frame & tires.

Always looking for another project or any good deal!

grayw0lf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 02:13 PM   #4
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty View Post
I am trying to find a 90 degree elbow-to-nipple for the low pressure side of my power steering gearbox, but I don't have a clue what thread and flare the low pressure side and high pressure side are.

Can anyone clarify on this? I wanted to find something online or at a local store ASAP. My low pressure line is almost the only thing standing between me and having a complete working power steering setup for firing up my engine in a week or two. THANKS!
Hey shifty, whenever I have a problem like this, I take the part to napa or another part store. They are usually pretty helpful, or at the very least you can try a bunch of fittings to make sure you have the right ones. I've bought enough wrong parts over the years that I now bring the broken part or a part that needs something to work with it with me to the store. The hour it will take to remove/reinstall the PS box might be quicker than multiple trips to the store.

Just a thought. Good luck! I want to see some video when that thing is running!!!
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!

Last edited by 67ChevyRedneck; 10-04-2006 at 02:15 PM.
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 04:17 PM   #5
shifty
Questionable

therein lie the problem - i don't have the part at least - i have the part, but it's well secured to the truck

Old 10-04-2006, 04:21 PM   #6
67ChevyRedneck
Hittin E-Z Street on Mud Tires

4 bolts, 2 nuts, and a pitman arm? Can't be that hard to take off
1968 Pontiac Firebird: Project Fire Chicken!
2015 Silverado Double Cab 5.3L Z71
2001 Jeep Wrangler Sport 4.0L 5spd
2020 Chevrolet Equinox Premium 2.0L Turbo
2011 Mustang V6 ~ Wife's ride
American Born, Country by the Grace of God
1967 CST Shop Truck Rebuild!
My 1967 C-10 Build Thread
My Vintage Air A/C Install
Project "On a Dime"
Trying my hand at Home Renovation!
1965 Mustang Modifications!
67ChevyRedneck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 05:54 PM   #7
john
member #16

Shifty heres a pic of the lines on the box. The return is the one to the outside and the hose clamps on after it crosses the frame rail. Both lines are 3/8 steel tube , but I would check the hole size in the box. Something in the back of my head is the fitting is a little larger on return. I may be wrong an that. Both fittings are inverted flare. The pressure side is standard 3/8 inverted flare. LMC does have a return tube in their catalog.
Attached Images

Last edited by john; 10-04-2006 at 05:59 PM.
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 11:38 PM   #8
shifty
Questionable

Thanks!

I would love to just use a 90º 3/8 NPT flared (or whatever it may be) to a tap. I guess my big question was what kind of flare it was and if it was 37deg or 45 deg flare. It's not very clear when looking inside the hole. It looks like one would be flared and the other wouldn't

I bought a kit at the store - but they only list the pressure-side hose and NOT the low pressure hose.

Old 10-05-2006, 09:24 AM   #9
Shane
Account Suspended

you need an INVERTED flare - standard 37 & 45 degree external flared fittings won't work
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 09:42 AM   #10
bretcopsey

How about something like this? It should be pretty easy to find a female 90* nipple that would then attach to this.

http://detroitspeed.com/productpages...gs_us_prod.htm

My 68 Camaro project
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2277404/1
bretcopsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 10:13 AM   #11
bretcopsey

Maybe with this 90* fitting??

http://www.speedwaymotors.com/xq/asp...qx/Product.htm

My 68 Camaro project
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2277404/1
bretcopsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 01:51 PM   #12
shifty
Questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane View Post
you need an INVERTED flare - standard 37 & 45 degree external flared fittings won't work
Right - but are all inverted flares flared at the same angle?

I was at Summit's big store today and looked at their replacement box for our trucks. Both high pressure and low pressure side use an inverted flare, but the low pressure side appears to be a smaller line. one looks to be 3/8 (high) and the other 5/16 (low)

Old 10-05-2006, 02:11 PM   #13
shifty
Questionable

Ah, So I just read more on the whole AN flare thing. I guess they are always 37º - but I remember seeing a lot of 45º inverted flares when I initially started looking at replacing my lines. Lots of stuff I didn't know in this PDF:

http://www.parker.com/tfd/fittingsol...ANFITTINGS.pdf

Lots of good info here:
http://www.durexpowersteering.com/techtips.html

That same company makes rebuild gearbox parts for our trucks and older trucks!

I guess what I don't really get is whether you can use an SAE inverted flare in place of an AN inverted flare? They both seem to be flared at 37º....talk about confusing crap.

Last edited by shifty; 10-05-2006 at 02:12 PM.
Old 10-05-2006, 02:26 PM   #14
shifty
Questionable

This is essentially the piece i am looking for:

http://midamerica.thomasnet.com/view...bow?&forward=1

Sorry for the triple post.

Old 10-05-2006, 03:12 PM   #15
Shane
Account Suspended

The .pdf link you posted comes from the company that I worked for for almost 10 years ... Parker Hannifin.

We made 37 degree fittings by the gazillions in all shapes, sizes, materials, and configurations.

As far as inverted flares being at the same angle ... yes, as long as you specify a 37 degree inverted flared fitting. The adapter fittings for brake lines are made this way. The inverted flare goes towards the brake line (flared brake line against the inverted flare makes the seal) and the AN fitting is on the opposing end for the connection of the braided line.

There ARE some 45 degree fittings ... but they are application specific and most times for very high pressure hydraulic connections. Not normally seen in automotive applications.

Last edited by Shane; 10-05-2006 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-05-2006, 03:35 PM   #16
shifty
Questionable

So, would it be safe to say that if I'm looking at Ace hardware or some other similar place, I won't be finding any fittings w/45º inverted flares?

Between trying to find this 90º swivel inverted 3/8-to-barb nipple power steering adapter and a 7/16-14 2.5" carriage bolt....

What a pain in the ass.

Thanks for the info, Shane.

Old 10-05-2006, 09:20 PM   #17
Shane
Account Suspended

chances are you aren't gonna find automotive grade fittings at a place like Ace Hardware anyway, 45 OR 37 degree ... if you do happen to find fittings there at all, they will probably be made from brass and intended for natural and/or LP gas applications (low pressure).

I would continue to check with the automotive guys for a fitting that is designed for petroleum based fluids as well as higher pressures.

Let me ask you this ... are you trying to put braided lines on your power steering setup? If so, these are already available (premade with fittings) from RB's Obsolete.

http://www.rbsobsolete.com/product.a...duct_id=166155

I could have sworn I saw some on CPP's site as well, I was gonna post a link, but can't find them now. Sorry.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:31 PM   #18
shifty
Questionable

I'm almost tempted to go braided, but that isn't what I want - and I would rather put $50-100 towards a new steering column than a low pressure power steering line.

This is my dilemma: I have no low pressure hose right now. I hae a modified high pressure hose to adapt to the LS1 though. For the low pressure line I need a fitting of unknown size (if it was AN, it would be at least one step larger than -6 AN) to a 3/8" nipple so I can run 3/8" hose to the PS return nipple.

Every LAPS (local auto parts store) chain has my low pressure hose for our trucks listed as just that - a hose ... no fittings, nothing, no way to screw into the box. The high pressure line is correct, but the high pressure line looks (and I think it was) too large to fit in the low pressure side or I would use it ... well, i think it uses larger than 3/8 rubber line also.

So, basically...I need an adapter for my low pressure side and I have no clue what size or thread it should be. I want a 90º swivel with male inverted flare on one side (to the gearbox) and a barb or nipple on the other. Kinda like what I linke in my last post.

It's been a bear to find one also - I have a male-to-male fitting that screws into the pump, but I do not know how to determine what size it is or the thread count, so ... I've been stuck on square one with this for months ... ok, well, I haven't really screwed with it in months. But now that I'm less than 3-4 weeks from firing up and being able to drive, man ... I need to get this done!

Last edited by shifty; 10-05-2006 at 11:32 PM.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:33 PM   #19
dougs69c10

go visit napa, and tell them you need to look through their weatherhead, we have over 300 different brass pieces and then over 20 differenent sizes in those 300 different pieces, if napa cant get you the right brass piece, it probably isnt made
Old 10-05-2006, 11:36 PM   #20
shifty
Questionable

is their "weatherhead" the catalog bible they have? doesn't do me a lick of good to look at books - I need to know what size the dang fitting to the gearbox is suppose to be first.

again - i've been looking at catalogs for three days now by everyone from aeroquip to earl's to eaton and i have seen several parts that "look" correct, but nothing i've bought locally (wasted $20 already) "fits" correct.

should i just go to Napa and buy another $50 worth of adapters that may not work?

it gets frustrating after a while.

Old 10-06-2006, 12:27 AM   #21
shifty
Questionable

Ok, McGaughy's sells both lines together as a pair - http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/mcg63159-d3.html

I guess I can call them and see if they only offer the low pressure line. Will do that tomorrow.

Old 10-06-2006, 01:32 PM   #22
john
member #16

Shifty this looks like what you want.

http://www.lmctruck.com/icatalog/cb/0114.html
john is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 04:06 PM   #23
shifty
Questionable

Thanks, John. I looked in the LMC catalog and must have totally missed that. I emailed two board vendors about it also ... forgot to check my email today.

I gotta go to a hydraulics shop tomorrow to get a fitting so I can mount a fuel pressure line to my fuel rails (via schrader valve), so I'm going to bring in a fitting that screws into the box and see if they have something similar for $5, rather than paying $20 at LMC

Old 10-06-2006, 08:11 PM   #24
dougs69c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty View Post
is their "weatherhead" the catalog bible they have? doesn't do me a lick of good to look at books - I need to know what size the dang fitting to the gearbox is suppose to be first.

again - i've been looking at catalogs for three days now by everyone from aeroquip to earl's to eaton and i have seen several parts that "look" correct, but nothing i've bought locally (wasted $20 already) "fits" correct.

should i just go to Napa and buy another $50 worth of adapters that may not work?

it gets frustrating after a while.

weatherhead is out line of brass fittings, from 8000psi hydrolic couplers to 1/8th compression fittings, most stores have a room or a wall of nothing but the weatherhead brass, so just start opening the drawers and look
Old 10-06-2006, 09:41 PM   #25
TP from Cntl PA

Shifty, I know the feeling...............I needed couplings to adapt the powersteering fitting to 3/8 NPT. NOBODY had what I needed and ended up rigging up my own, because I did not want to buy a million dollars worth of fittings and the setup didn't work. Now since the Hydroboost/powersteering/pump works, I got to go back and make it right. Which should be a challenge .

Inlines Rule! 6 soldiers standing is better than 8 laying down!!!!!!!!
TP from Cntl PA is offline   Reply With Quote