The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > projects and builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 09-07-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
skysoldier173rd

crossmember completed/radiator installed

These are pics of the crossmember i fabricated when installing a 350 engine with 700R4 transmission. Also, i utilized the bigger radiator/fan shroud and transmission cooler out of the donor vehicle which was a 86 GMC truck.
Attached Images

Last edited by skysoldier173rd; 09-07-2010 at 03:18 PM.
skysoldier173rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:13 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: crossmember completed/radiator installed

That looks good. That tranny crossmember should be plenty strong. How much of the inner fenders did you have to cut out for that radiator installation?
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 04:19 PM   #3
skysoldier173rd

Actually the shroud part of the modification surprised me. I wanted the shroud for cooling purposes along with the tranny cooler. This shroud is huge and very deep but with the 350 there was a ton of room between the radiator and the front of the engine, so depth wise, no problem. The shroud is plastic of course and covers the entire radiator. In the pictures the part of the inner fender that needed to be trimmed has been edged with ribbed hose. On the passenger side, the battery box had to be moved to the extreme right side. The new radiator is around 34 inches wide. The old one is a lot narrower, I'm guessing about 24inches, but just a guess as it's already in the boneyard, so the trim job was around 6 inches per side, but no real problem. The transmission cooler is mounted in the stock position (of the 86) utilizing the stock mount from the 86 truck, just had to drill a few holes in the supports of the 60 for the mounting screws. All in all, not a difficult job. The top radiator mounts from the 86 became the bottom mounts in the 60, rubber and all. Sorry, no picture of this as it's pretty much covered and no part of the radiator shows as the plastic shroud covers all of it but the ribbed conduit shows the path of the cut.
Attached Images

Last edited by skysoldier173rd; 09-08-2010 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-08-2010, 06:43 PM   #4
skysoldier173rd

in case anyone's wondering why the crossmember bar is towards the back of the shoulders holding it up, the frames of the earlier trucks (60-62 I believe) are drilled for a crossmember, 3 holes (. ' .) pattern similar to my illustration, in case the truck had a factory powerglide. So, I utilized the 1st and last pre-drilled holes in each side of the frame for the supports and the 700R4 mount on the trans puts the bar towards the back, but it still is plenty strong and should be fine. Utilizing these holes saved drilling any additional ones.

Last edited by skysoldier173rd; 09-08-2010 at 07:01 PM.
Old 09-09-2010, 04:45 PM   #5
skysoldier173rd

Had the day off and installed the patriot clipster headers, the new cut/balanced driveshaft, a standard distributor (got rid of the Electronic Spark Control type distributor) hooked up the starter. Just need to add ATF, coolant, install the shifter, a new set of plugs, figure out the generator to alternator conversion, and this thing will be ready for a resucitation attempt. Will try the new CPR and it should live again! I expect to see Jimmy Hendrix, the beatles, and Howard Cosell, the Byrds, and the Troggs come running out of the fog when it lights up with open headers!!! Also the neighbors (and my wife) will probably call 911, but its the birth of a new life for this old 1960 truck. Can't wait!!

Last edited by skysoldier173rd; 09-09-2010 at 04:50 PM.
Old 09-14-2010, 04:40 PM   #6
skysoldier173rd

Today, I installed the Lokar Cable Shifter. This baby wasn't cheap, (about $245.00, but about 95 out of a 100 street rods go with them), so I did too. It's definitely a quality, well built unit and the instructions are very precise. Also, quite adjustable. If I had it to do over, might not go with the cable, (lokar offers both types) might do a direct adjustable rod hookup instead, given how short the distance from the shifter to the ear on the tranny, but I think it will be fine. The thing is you're riding over top the transmission, so you don't need 4 feet of cable. The install went very well, and it's done. Placement of the shifter is negotiable and I didn't use the original hole from the old 4 speed manual. I will weld in a patch later to fill the hole where the old shifter came through the floor. Here are some pictures, but it's still rough looking. I was dreading this job, and it was a bear, but now it's done.
Attached Images

Last edited by skysoldier173rd; 09-14-2010 at 06:31 PM.
Old 09-18-2010, 01:23 PM   #7
skysoldier173rd

It's alive!!!!!!!!!!!!

Today I installed the fuel pump, the fan, connected all hoses finished some wiring. I couldn't resist trying to fire the engine. It came to life pretty easily running on open headers, was really loud (still can't find the dog, it ran off scared by the noise) Anyway, IT'S ALIVE. Still alot to do, but I'm making good progress.
Attached Images

Last edited by skysoldier173rd; 09-18-2010 at 01:24 PM.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:47 PM   #8
skysoldier173rd

My brother who is a great engine man came over and we spent most of the day cleaning up a bunch of miscellaneous vacum leaks, wiring the converter lockup switch, setting timing and generally tuning up the engine. Was able to yard drive it a little, brakes aren't good enough to hit the streets. This v8 auto is sure different than the old 6 with the granny 4 spd. Very responsive with the 700r4/v8 given the low rear end. The brakes are next and then it goes to the exhaust shop. I already installed the headers and the shop will put on the dual flowmasters/H Pipe and custom fab the rest of the exhaust. Can't wait till this is my daily driver.
Attached Images

Last edited by skysoldier173rd; 09-21-2010 at 08:53 PM.
Old 10-11-2010, 02:14 PM   #9
skysoldier173rd

moving ahead

Truck is at the muffler shop having new flowmaster 40s put on today. It already has new headers and I am having a complete new dual system including a "H" pipe installed. Should sound sweet. Yesterday, installed a gas pedal system from a 90 with the cable. Worked really well, much better than using the rod and lever system. Got some rust in the tank, but I think I have been able to get through that trauma. I doubled up on inline filters. If I have any more trouble, I will just pull the tank and acid clean it. Probably do the fender bottoms and rockers next.

www.picturetrail.com/skysoldier173rd
Attached Images

Old 10-13-2010, 08:45 PM   #10
skysoldier173rd

Picked the truck up from the exhaust shop tonight. These dual flowmasters sound just fantastic and the drone is not that bad in the cab. They are 40 series and I thought they would be louder, but i love em. The H pipe adds a great "growl' . Got the truck up to 60 for the first time and it's very smooth, no shimmy or shake like a lot of old trucks. I had a 66 and it never rode as good as this 60 with the tortion bars. I know a lot of people don't like the tortion bar thing, but it does give a good ride. Next, some sheet metal work, fortunately, this project doesen't need much, it's pretty solid.

Last edited by skysoldier173rd; 10-13-2010 at 08:45 PM.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:08 PM   #11
skysoldier173rd

Having some brake problems. I switched to a newer m/c using a plate from Captain Fab. Bolts up great, no problems. Had good pedal, but it seems the back brakes were doing all the work. Blew out the line to the rear brakes yesterday and that confirmed my suspicions, had a runaway truck and had to shut it down and do some fancy moves to prevent disaster. Limped home with it, replaced the line and for some reason, someone had adjusted the front wheels so they didn't contact the drums. Took care of that one and immediate results. Got a great pedal now but for some reason it favors the passenger front sometimes. Other times its great and all 4 wheels seem adjusted perfectly. Seems like something is a little slow to work at times, but it does seem the more i drive it , the better it's working. Brakes are stock Drum/Drum with the upgraded m/c. It's running sweet, got those new flowmasters with the H pipe, kind of sounds like a mustang. Put on new cap, wires, plugs and changed the oil today. Also threw in a can of "Sea Foam". A friend recommended it and the engine sounds quieter now. Seems to be good stuff. Think i might of had a lifter that wasn't quite pumping up the way it should, but it's great now. Getting ready to start some sheet metal repair next week. Doesen't need much, great body on this one. I'll post some pictures.

www.picturetrail.com/skysoldier173rd

Last edited by skysoldier173rd; 10-27-2010 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-11-2020, 06:58 PM   #12
Todd46

I know this is an older post but I had a question. What was the bar thickness of the support? Also is that 1 1/2 angle iron?

Thanks
Todd
Quote:
Originally Posted by skysoldier173rd View Post
These are pics of the crossmember i fabricated when installing a 350 engine with 700R4 transmission. Also, i utilized the bigger radiator/fan shroud and transmission cooler out of the donor vehicle which was a 86 GMC truck.
Todd46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2020, 10:06 PM   #13
LostMy65
But Found Her 25yrs Later!

I was also looking for this thread. So thanks for bumping it up.
If the OP doesn't reply, I would guess it's 3/16.

66 C20 Service Truck:
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=428035
LostMy65 is online now   Reply With Quote