The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-03-2020, 01:37 PM   #1
Woodnears

Custom exhaust shop/bender

Does anyone know of any shop capable of bending up pieces of exhaust with a couple tight radius bends in it? I am trying to fish a full exhaust through a porterbuilt frame, needless to say it’s got a couple tight spots in it! I need to recreate this piece of tubing. I’m not great at tog welding and I’m hoping I could maybe send this piece to someone to recreate it. Never mind the mess in the background.
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2020, 02:29 PM   #2
SkidmoreGarage

Re: Custom exhaust shop/bender

I think that you are better off just farming out the tig welding, and having someone recreate that piece using standard bends (locally). I have had good luck just searching for a local welder through Google, turned out he was a job shop making fittings for swagelok.

That is a very compact and intricate bend, the machinery and engineering required would be very expensive to make that a single piece.

However, if I were to take a step back, I would consider if you want to have a high end exhaust shop build you something. They may bring some experience to the process that simplifies things, and also will deliver the quality that you want.
SkidmoreGarage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 06:52 PM   #3
Woodnears

There’s not even an exhaust shop in this town! I got both sides built and will continue to practice as I finish welding it all completely. Y’all think it looks alright?
Attached Images

Old 10-03-2020, 09:04 PM   #4
LS short box

As said above tack it together and get it to some one with a tig. Most machine shops or welding repair shops have tig welders to weld aluminum. The shape is pretty cool looking.
LS short box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2020, 06:29 PM   #5
SCOTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS short box View Post
As said above tack it together and get it to some one with a tig. Most machine shops or welding repair shops have tig welders to weld aluminum. The shape is pretty cool looking.
x2. Tack the pieces together & find a welding or machine shop to weld them up if you're not comfortable doing it.

You also need to re-verify fit of the pieces after they're welded as SS likes to move a lot. What lined-up when tacked may not once welded solid.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote