The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-22-2020, 11:30 PM   #1
SRA1

Turn Signal Switch/Column ID

I'm trying to identify the column in my 48. It's an old tilt wheel, and I've watched several videos on changing the turn signal switch, but none of them look like my steering column once I take the steering wheel off. I"m hoping maybe someone can aim me to a site to identify the column based on the turn signal switch (which is the problem). I sent a request to Delco, but no response after several days. Picture of switch connector attached. The switch has a 47203 in the plastic. The column has another 6 wire plug from the switch handle with wipers, and washers, but I don't have any of that, so it's not required. I found a switch that looks close, but has one extra wire on it, and a set of clips on top to which the extra wire runs. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

SRA1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 12:34 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Turn Signal Switch/Column ID

I am thinking that was the number for the plastic piece for the plug. There just aren't that many variations of that style of turn signal switch.

If the dimmer switch is on the column the column is going to be 1978 or later and most likely from the 80's.

If you show a couple of photos of the column someone might be able to narrow down what it came out of.

That said, I don't think that extra wire makes any difference. The main thing is that the Color coded wires match your color coded wires.

I'm thinking that this one matches the one you have but you need to match the color code and location of each wire in it's pin. An extra wire usually means that it fits another application and the wire isn't needed in your application.

This doesn't by any means that you need to buy this particular switch, it is the example of what I feel you need and you can go to your own source for the switch once you decide it is right.

One thing, if you have never pulled this style of switch out before you need to tie about three or four feet of mig wire or mechanics wire or even real skinny electrical wire to the switch and pull it though with the plug so you can pull the plug and wires back down the column. If I don't forget in the morning I'll post a couple of photos on how to tie it to make it easier to pull the plug though and pull it back though. it's something an old timer showed me years ago and has saved me untold headaches over the years changing switches.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 07:41 AM   #3
Zippi

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRA1 View Post
I'm trying to identify the column in my 48. It's an old tilt wheel, and I've watched several videos on changing the turn signal switch, but none of them look like my steering column once I take the steering wheel off. I"m hoping maybe someone can aim me to a site to identify the column based on the turn signal switch (which is the problem). I sent a request to Delco, but no response after several days. Picture of switch connector attached. The switch has a 47203 in the plastic. The column has another 6 wire plug from the switch handle with wipers, and washers, but I don't have any of that, so it's not required. I found a switch that looks close, but has one extra wire on it, and a set of clips on top to which the extra wire runs. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.
Dan,

I just replaced my turn signal switch a couple weeks ago and I have a 1984 tilt column. Like mr48chev mentioned, this same switch was used for a number of years. The new switch was $29 bucks. I did not have to use anything to pull the plug and wires through the column. All I did was loosen the 4 bolts (2 on each side) on the column and use a pair of pliers and pulled the plastic shield out as shown in the pic. Once the shield is removed the plug and all the wires will fall through the column. I replaced the switch and tightened the column back up without putting the plastic shield back in. Not sure what the shield was used for but for me it was not needed. This is what I did so don't know if this will work for your column or not. Hope this helps.
Attached Images

Last edited by Zippi; 04-23-2020 at 08:01 AM.
Zippi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 11:19 AM   #4
Tempest67

I have been installing my wiring harness and have been researching the same thing. I have the same one in my 1994 column

see pic

1- wipers/washers/cruise
2- signal switch (see diagram)
3- high beam switch
4-back side of Ignition switch
5-Neutral Safety switch and back up lights

It appears that you have the standard GM turn signal wiring harness. (very common)

I hope this helps
Attached Images

Tempest67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 03:44 PM   #5
mr48chev

That is some good info there.

Side note: if you are swapping donor pieces around the tilt ignition switch and non tilt ignition switch down on the column work backwards from each other. They fasten on the column and hook up to the plug but work different.

I took a few photos this morning of an old tilt that I had in the shed. I think it must be one of those (might need a part off it" ones that I kept when I threw a bunch on a load of scrap a while back.

First shot, junky old tilt out of the shed, note the protective plastic sleeve that holds the wires flat and keeps them from chafing is still in place.

Second shot: sleeve is pulled off and out of the way, this one had the old style cruise control turn signal handle. Keeping that tucked away.

Third shot: This is how I make things simpler, I tie a piece of wire (you could use string or heavy fishing line) to the wires and plug to pull the plug Through the collar. This keeps the plug tight up against and in line with the wires and it slips though the rather tight passage easier. I fasten it to the other end to be able to hold the plug straight and then leave the wire in the column to pull the new harness plug back though the column rather than trying to stab it from the top.

When you put it back make sure that the switch and wires and plug are oriented right so the wires and plugs are aimed in the direction that they need to be in. It is near impossible to flip the wires over if you happen to put them in with the plug facing the wrong way.

Fourth shot, Harness and plug are out or ready to go back in how ever you look at it.

Make sure that you have the tilt in the straight out position and not tilted. Nothing wants to go though if it is tilted. You can see that the column was in tilt up position in the first photo.

I've always used what ever skinny wire that I have laying around this being .025 Mig wire but if you have some good strong fish line that might work pretty good.
Attached Images

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 06:19 PM   #6
_Ogre

post up a pic of your column, somebody can probably id the thingy
my column looks exactly like tempest has, came out of an 86 gmc safari van
same as astro van, s10 trucks and probably half the cars of the era, no prndlll on this column
i've since found a nos chevy horn button, was always gonna swap out wheels, but this works fine
Attached Images

how to put your truck year and build thread into your signature
shop air compressor timer
_Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote