The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board > 67-72 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Projects and Builds

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-10-2011, 12:39 AM   #1
gearhead1985

my pos 67 soon to be dd

well i just picked up a decent 67 chevy c20 2wd and drug it home it needs all the normal rust repair cab corners, rockers, under the gas tank, and spot under drivers left foot the normal stuff and some major wiring issues the goals for this truck will be a dd and tow pig for my jeep to and from the trail and i hope to do it all for less than $2k for the mechanical parts aka i will get alot of parts from the junk yard most will be chevy parts and i will try to keep alot of factory parts but i am going to upgrade when needed so my start for upgrades will be brakes, steering, and gas mileage

the start

the standard 67
sb350
th400
eaton 52ho rear diff
non power 4 wheel drum brake
1967 chevy 3/4 ton with busted shocks

now the questions i have a hydroboost unit from a 85? military k5 and power steering pump will that be a pita to swap in how does the rod length and throw compare to 67 will it affect factory power steering will it have two much pressure?

i want to keep 8 lug rims so what is the best jy swap for front disc i already got the parts for the rear(85 3/4 ton rotors,4wd 1/2 ton caliper, soft brake line and 14bff mounting bracket that is getting modified leftover parts from jeep mods) and the adjustable proportioning valve?

i am a newb to this make and model of Chev most of my experience is in my 1992 jeep and gm a body's
gearhead1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 12:54 PM   #2
gearhead1985

Re: my pos 67 soon to be dd

well after a lot of searching i found in order to run front disc i will need all the parts off a 71 or 72 3/4 ton so now i am looking
Old 04-11-2011, 04:31 AM   #3
dmack91

The easiest way is to pick up the complete front crossmember. It would ensure you had everything necessary.

I swapped a regular factory vacuum booster onto mine (all drums), and it works great. Just missed a complete 72 rolling chassis for $200. Oh well, for a daily driver, the drums work fine.
dmack91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 06:05 AM   #4
ctpchevy

i see you want to run disc brakes there are a few options i have found classic performance products makes a nice conversion kit and its actually pretty reasonable it comes with all new parts or if you wanted to go a cheeper rout 73-87 chevy had the same front x member the arms are a lil diff but only with the bushings but all you would need to do is replace your ball joints with new 73-87 joints and tie rods and all the spindles and rotors will work i did it on a half ton cause the drop spindles are allot less for the 73 best thing is go to a junk yard and get everything pull arms all the steering the power steering box will bolt right in as well even the brake booster will work with a lil modification to the rod and mount plate you will also need the proportion valve off the front cross member in the frame of the 73 .....hope the info helps
ctpchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 07:33 AM   #5
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmack91 View Post
The easiest way is to pick up the complete front crossmember. It would ensure you had everything necessary.

I swapped a regular factory vacuum booster onto mine (all drums), and it works great. Just missed a complete 72 rolling chassis for $200. Oh well, for a daily driver, the drums work fine.
^^^ I agree 100% exspecially on the stock booster add on it has been the best $$ I spent on my truck it takes about an hour to do it to!!

on a side note be careful my truck started off the same way but they have a way of taking on there own life TRUST ME!

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 12:59 PM   #6
ctpchevy

im with them on the booster they work great i have put a few of the hydrobosters on and dont get me wrong they work really good they just turn into a bit of a pain to install the stock boosters are simple and i think the better way and hottrucks these things sure do take a life on of there own its crazy one min your just putting in new door glass felt then next thing you know the whole truck is in a million peices and your doing a whole frame off resto hahahaha hey if you need any parts check out goldenstate pick up parts and talk to mike he is a good guy
Old 04-11-2011, 02:41 PM   #7
gearhead1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottrucks View Post
^^^ I agree 100% exspecially on the stock b
on a side note be careful my truck started off the same way but they have a way of taking on there own life TRUST ME!
i went wild on my jeep so this truck will stay close to stock but i do have a set of bags laying around
the day i bought the jeep

a 4" lift and 33's

now as it sits (about 9" of lift 6" wheel base strech, dana 44's and still 33's) but it is getting narrowed dana 60's about (66 wms to wms) and 40's

Last edited by gearhead1985; 04-11-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:53 PM   #8
gearhead1985

and another question will any sbc power steering pump work with the stock power steering system or is it a special pump to work with the ram style system
Old 04-11-2011, 03:58 PM   #9
ctpchevy

That jeep is killer looks like fun ... Well hey if you end up wanting to bag it feel free to ask any questions I have bagged allot of these trucks ... As far as the pump I think they are all very similar and would work you just might have to have lines made up but check out classic performance products they have allot of options for that
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-13-2011, 02:24 AM   #10
gearhead1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctpchevy View Post
That jeep is killer looks like fun ... Well hey if you end up wanting to bag it feel free to ask any questions I have bagged allot of these trucks ... As far as the pump I think they are all very similar and would work you just might have to have lines made up but check out classic performance products they have allot of options for that
Posted via Mobile Device
a few years ago we bagged my cousins 64 and it is all the same but i won't buy a kit for a compressor i will use a york ac compressor and pressure switches will be cooler switches and alot of stainlees hard line and manual dump valves i am cheap i don't need fancy computer control stuff
Old 04-13-2011, 04:07 AM   #11
ctpchevy

yea i wont use electric compressors any more actually i like using the sanden 508 instead of the york engine driven compressor better its smaller cleaner looking i have had one on my 70 for about 8 years and never had a problem ....yea i dont care for any of that computer controlled crap either just seems like more that can go wrong when i was talking about the pump i ment for the power steering pump cpp has allot of options for smaller pumps with remote res for the power steering or i have always just gone to the junk yard and grabbed one off a 73-80 ish
Old 04-13-2011, 02:39 PM   #12
gearhead1985

what is this valve for it is on the driver side floor next to the seat
Old 04-13-2011, 02:51 PM   #13
JORGIE95961

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead1985 View Post
what is this valve for it is on the driver side floor next to the seat

spare fuel tank
JORGIE95961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 03:13 PM   #14
gearhead1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by JORGIE95961 View Post
spare fuel tank
ok so it is useless unless i put a fuel cell under the bed
Old 04-13-2011, 03:38 PM   #15
JORGIE95961

Quote:
ok so it is useless unless i put a fuel cell under the bed
you may have a tank on the side of the truck
JORGIE95961 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 02:04 AM   #16
gearhead1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by JORGIE95961 View Post
you may have a tank on the side of the truck
so can i use the valve as a fuel shut off from the tank sort of like an anti theft devise they can only go as far as the fuel in the fuel bowl willl let them
Old 04-14-2011, 07:09 AM   #17
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Yep

Mikes Sandwich Fair Run OCT 8th 2011
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2011, 03:27 PM   #18
gearhead1985

2 questions

1 with the windshield wipers mine don't work there are 3 wires and i have power at all three wires with a test light no matter what position the switch is in i think it is a ground issue and and will be pulling out the wiper motor tomorrow for a good cleaning and look see

2 how do the roll up windows come out i have pulled a tugged for an hour today and they are not coming out but they are rusted solid and not moving any ideas

thanks again
Old 04-14-2011, 04:08 PM   #19
ctpchevy

i dont know about the wiper but the side windows a kinda a pain you need to undo the rear track which has a screw in the back of the door in the jam up twards the top of the door then 2 lower ones on the inside of the door then pull the wind wing out then you can slide the window front to back and there are slots in the window channel that the roller pop out of i usually slide the back one out first then line the front one up its kinda tough to see but i have found when the window is all the way down you can get it it kinda sucks im sure there are other ways as well this one works for me
Old 04-15-2011, 01:47 AM   #20
gearhead1985

cool i did not take out the Phillips screw on the side of the door i thought that was for the latch but that is coming out now so i can make the inside handle work since i broke it going into work to night it is kind of funny when you call your boss and ask him to clock you in because you are locked INSIDE your own truck and explaining to him how to slim jim the door so you can go to work
Old 04-25-2011, 12:46 AM   #21
gearhead1985

well i took the truck out for a spin/poker run/cruise and when i went to stop the brake pedal went to the floor and stayed there so under further inspection i have brake fluid running down the firewall from the master since its broke i need an upgrade so power brakes are in order and looking online i found this
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...+brake+booster

will that be a direct bolt in or do i need to do some mods and will it push to much fluid for the stock wheel cylinders

or just get a reman stock
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...1292&ppt=C0066
Old 04-25-2011, 10:38 AM   #22
ctpchevy

Quote:
well i took the truck out for a spin/poker run/cruise and when i went to stop the brake pedal went to the floor and stayed there so under further inspection i have brake fluid running down the firewall from the master since its broke i need an upgrade so power brakes are in order and looking online i found this
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...+brake+booster

will that be a direct bolt in or do i need to do some mods and will it push to much fluid for the stock wheel cylinders

or just get a reman stock
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...1292&ppt=C0066
im not sure if the oreily one would work ...i dont see why not you will have to mess with the rod for the pedal but check out classic performance products they make boosters and master cyl not sure on the price difference but they make some good products
Old 04-28-2011, 01:37 AM   #23
gearhead1985

well no that i am getting officially getting laid off Friday work will continue but buying parts will stop unless i can make something work from another project i got lying around so hydro-boost will be installed cause i got it and its free just takes time i got a lot of it free now and i might actually start fixing rust i do have several Malibu and Monte hoods and deck lids lying around that will make great patch panels
Old 04-28-2011, 12:34 PM   #24
dmack91

Sorry to hear about the job. Hope your luck changes soon.
dmack91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 03:38 PM   #25
gearhead1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmack91 View Post
Sorry to hear about the job. Hope your luck changes soon.

there is nothing hard work and dedication can't over come so i will have a new job soon and be able to spend money on the truck again but i see the holes in the floor a just another form of air conditioning

and the hydro boost i got will basically bolt right in and can swap out the disc drum master for a drum drum master out of an A-body it bolts all together no major mods other than drilling 2 holes for the top 2 brake peddle bolts but that is only rough work with a tape measure i will post pics when i do it i think the hardest part will be the lines