The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-09-2012, 01:22 PM   #1
shifty1125

how about this swap?

Ok so I got a 1948 3/4 ton Chevy truck. Gonna put it on a 1987 3/4 ton frame. I'm trying to decide what motor. Duramax or 6.0 vortech... I want to keep a manual if possible and I know the duramax came with a manual. Did the 6.0 ever come with one? Also has anyone ever swapped to a 87 frame. What bed should I use or should I shorten the frame and use a factory looking bed?
shifty1125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
mr48chev

Re: how about this swap?

I saw an AD truck sitting on a later two wheel drive frame a few weeks ago and it was the biggest mess I have seen in a long time.

The only early cab I have seen sitting on a later full size frame that actually worked was a red 4x4 that shows up in event coverage on Hotrod Hotline once in a while in Northwest Washington.

It really depends on your fabrication skills and eye for making things right but from what I usually have seen in those swaps is that the "builder" has little fab skills and no eye for making things work right and the truck ends up looking like something a couple of cowboys threw together to run through the sagebrush with. And I do live in an area where cowboys dig stuff out from behind the shed and throw it together to run through the sagebrush.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
shifty1125

Thanks for the reply.
I do have the eye for it. I'm very picky on how my vehicles look. My fab skills are so so but do have great friends that fab all day every day.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:48 PM   #4
mknittle

The 87 is way too wide to fit the 48.

My GMC build.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=536602
mknittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
shifty1125

To wide where? I measured from behind the cab on both and the 48 was actually wider then the 87.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:26 PM   #6
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by shifty1125 View Post
To wide where? I measured from behind the cab on both and the 48 was actually wider then the 87.
The wheels will stick out of the fenders too far .the frame width can also cause problems for mounthng the cab. an s10 4X4 is about the right width.
That is why when I get started on my cummins 4x4 project i am using a 69 to 72 cab and bed. I have A 54 one ton but it is too narrow or I would use it.

My GMC build.

Last edited by mknittle; 07-09-2012 at 08:40 PM.
Old 07-09-2012, 09:41 PM   #7
shifty1125

Front or back? If so how far?
I really dont see how the back could since the frame is narrower then the 48. The front I could tho.
Old 07-10-2012, 10:58 PM   #8
mr48chev

I saw this one on the way home today, it isn't finished but it does have an engine in it.

I was in a hurry so I didn't look it over real close this evening.

it has chrome spoke wheels aka those cheap trailer wheels and they stick out of the wheel wells quite a ways.

If a guy wants it to sit up at stock height for an early truck it will work with some wheels with positive or no offset. Getting it low the way most of us like them is pretty well out of the question. This one was done a lot better than the last one I saw as they hadn't trimmed the scabs off the frame on that one.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:41 AM   #9
shifty1125

I like that. Def need some different wheels tho. And lowered looks good on these trucks but I think being a 3/4 ton it looks good being up higher. The front suspension can be see which is an issue but I think a front bumper could fix that. I found some measurements for both trucks and they really aren't all that much different in width. Length yes but not width. The rear is only .7 of an inch different and the front is a few inches. Def need some offset wheel to suck them in on the front. Thanks for those pics. If you have time maybe take some more or if u talk to the guy ask him how he mounted everything or whatever. Thanks for the help. This forum is awesome!
Old 07-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #10
robin58

I never realized how narrow a 73-87 frame was assuming the frame didn't change from 73-80: http://www.chuckschevytruckpages.com/framespecs.html

But the horizontal profile is going to be what you'll have to work around to make your truck sit right. It's hard enough aligning the front fenders and hood on these trucks with a stock frame.
robin58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 11:52 AM   #11
mknittle

Quote:
Front or back? If so how far?
I really dont see how the back could since the frame is narrower then the 48. The front I could tho.
Not the frame. measure how long the axles are. the 48 fenders outside to outside {the body} are narrower. than the 87. The frame has nothing to do with the axle width. Measure the front axle on the 87 it is wider tha the rear axle so the tires will clear the frame when the steering is cranked all the way{Full turn}.

They are your trucks do what you want. I am just trying to prevent you from getting into somthing then past the point of no return finding out it won't work.

I have only been messing around with chevy trucks for 30 years. mr48 even longer.

My GMC build.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #12
mr48chev

You can see in the top two photos that the lower ball joint is about where the original tread center on a stock truck would be.

The frame width has never been an issue as outside of the 55/59 trucks the frames are pretty close to the same width with the half ton Ad trucks spreading out wider as they go back. The later trucks start out at about 28-1/2 taper out to the firewall and then stay the same width from the firewall to the rear bumper.

Anytime a guy does a subframe swap, frame swap or other wholesale frame change he ends up spending most of the time in the swap getting the sheet metal to line back up.
Sometimes it works pretty smoothly and others it is a total pain to deal with and takes many hours to get things lined up right.

As I said earlier I've seen some real abortions on frame swaps in this area. Usually done by buys with little or no skill and absolutely no eye or care for getting things right. Galvanized pipe fittings for body spacers, Torched out inner fenders for clearance and many other suspect things such as house plumbing pieces used to route radiator hoses. As I said before the truck in the photos actually looks like it has had some thought put into it. I'll swing by tonight after work and see if I can get some more photos.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:38 PM   #13
shifty1125

Quote:
Originally Posted by mknittle View Post
Not the frame. measure how long the axles are. the 48 fenders outside to outside {the body} are narrower. than the 87. The frame has nothing to do with the axle width. Measure the front axle on the 87 it is wider tha the rear axle so the tires will clear the frame when the steering is cranked all the way{Full turn}.

They are your trucks do what you want. I am just trying to prevent you from getting into somthing then past the point of no return finding out it won't work.

I have only been messing around with chevy trucks for 30 years. mr48 even longer.
thank you for your info on the frame width.
Also I greatly appreciate your input and I dont want to get to far into it and find out it won't work. I think with enough fab work it will work as those pics of that other truck show it will fit and line up just needs different wheels to suck back in. Steering may be an issue. I may need some help with that. I already have the frame stripped and bout to make body mounts and my wife will be pissed if I get another frame and have two frame in the yard/garage. So I guess im already all the way in. I really do appreciate everyone's help. I'm sure I'll need some more advise with this build. I already built a 1981 with a 1996 step side bed with a fuel injected 5.3 in it. And I have my daily driver and my wife's car so she's not to happy with how many frames or trucks is outside until my shop gets built.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:56 PM   #14
shifty1125

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
You can see in the top two photos that the lower ball joint is about where the original tread center on a stock truck would be.

The frame width has never been an issue as outside of the 55/59 trucks the frames are pretty close to the same width with the half ton Ad trucks spreading out wider as they go back. The later trucks start out at about 28-1/2 taper out to the firewall and then stay the same width from the firewall to the rear bumper.

Anytime a guy does a subframe swap, frame swap or other wholesale frame change he ends up spending most of the time in the swap getting the sheet metal to line back up.
Sometimes it works pretty smoothly and others it is a total pain to deal with and takes many hours to get things lined up right.

As I said earlier I've seen some real abortions on frame swaps in this area. Usually done by buys with little or no skill and absolutely no eye or care for getting things right. Galvanized pipe fittings for body spacers, Torched out inner fenders for clearance and many other suspect things such as house plumbing pieces used to route radiator hoses. As I said before the truck in the photos actually looks like it has had some thought put into it. I'll swing by tonight after work and see if I can get some more photos.
Awesome thank you for your help. Yeah that one looks pretty good. I won't use stuff like that for mine lol. I'm not to redneck even tho im in Oklahoma lol
Old 07-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #15
robin58

You might find some stuff you can use here too (one of mobileortho's posts_

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...57&postcount=7
Old 07-11-2012, 03:28 PM   #16
mknittle

glad i could help with the frame.

My GMC build.
Old 07-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #17
mknittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
I saw this one on the way home today, it isn't finished but it does have an engine in it.

I was in a hurry so I didn't look it over real close this evening.

it has chrome spoke wheels aka those cheap trailer wheels and they stick out of the wheel wells quite a ways.

If a guy wants it to sit up at stock height for an early truck it will work with some wheels with positive or no offset. Getting it low the way most of us like them is pretty well out of the question. This one was done a lot better than the last one I saw as they hadn't trimmed the scabs off the frame on that one.
I think that is a newer frame than 87 there is a drop under the cab.

My GMC build.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:21 PM   #18
shifty1125

Hmm I wonder what year?
If it drops down then i think it would be a harder swap then the 87.
Maybe not. Looks good except the wheels from pics.
Old 07-11-2012, 06:25 PM   #19
shifty1125

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin58 View Post
You might find some stuff you can use here too (one of mobileortho's posts_

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...57&postcount=7
I can't reply to the thread but that looks pretty good. So from what I got I could transfer my 87 ifs to the 48 frame?
Old 07-11-2012, 06:53 PM   #20
mknittle

yes you can I don't know how hard it would be though.

My GMC build.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:01 PM   #21
mknittle

Quote:
Hmm I wonder what year?
If it drops down then i think it would be a harder swap then the 87.
Maybe not. Looks good except the wheels from pics.
It is harder, my 72 chevy /dodge is that way.the rear of the cab has to be channeled 2 1/2" and the body bolts need tobe moved out 2" the bed mounts lower to fit right .that is just the beginning.There is a lot to body swaps

My GMC build.

Last edited by mknittle; 07-11-2012 at 07:16 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:28 PM   #22
robin58

Quote:
I can't reply to the thread but that looks pretty good. So from what I got I could transfer my 87 ifs to the 48 frame?
Your best bet would be to pm mobileortho and ask for his advice and also look at his build pictures. I seem to recall he had someone narrow the crossmember for him which obviously overcomes the hub to hub width issue in the front.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:41 PM   #23
lazerstrouts

If you need wheels that sucked in more you can look at ones for 08+. Another option is to just find a rolled or wrecked 4x4 duramax 00-07. I have a build thread with a 01 tahoe and a 48 1/2 ton. Tires are almost flush with the fenders.
Posted via Mobile Device
lazerstrouts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 09:48 PM   #24
coralhead

You can lead a horse to water...
coralhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 10:11 PM   #25
shifty1125

Its hard to find a rolled duramax in good enough condition to salvage anything. People around here usually keep them or if they are at an insurance pool they go for way to much money. Guess people have big pockets around here.