The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 08-02-2009, 11:01 AM   #1
Northern lights

Bad wind

The doors on my 64 don't seal worth a damn and it's lousy with wind noise. I don't really want to adjust the doors as right now, everything lines up nicely on the outside and to adjust the doors in would throw all that out of whack. The weatherstripping is all new but there is daylight showing through at the front of the drivers door and above the wuindow on the passenger side. I thought that, perhaps I could remove the stripping and judisiously bend the tab towards the door and reinstall the stripping but this would likely screw up the paint. Of course, if the paint were to crack, would do it in the crease and I suppose I could mask and repaint the crease/tab before replaceing the stripping and it wouldn't be TOO noticeable but would rather not have to. Any other suggestions???
Northern lights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2009, 11:13 AM   #2
aerotruk63
Check The Champ, Demonstrator

Re: Bad wind

Freightliner doors leak air as well.What we did was stop at your local hardware store and buy rectangular foam weatherstripping that's self adhesive on one side. You should see the rub marks of where the old weatherstip was contacting the door. Stick the foam weatherstrip opposed to the contour of the cab onto the door. The black foam weatherstrip comes in different thicknesses. It's not original but will seal without re adjusting the doors.

YouTube Channel with 20+ Original Chevrolet Truck Salesmen, Mechanics & Service Department Training Slideshows.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...otruk63&page=1
aerotruk63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:51 AM   #3
Northern lights

That is an option. I was hoping that there was something that I'm missing here since these trucks must have been sealed up better than this when new so, with all new parts, that should be repeatable without resorting to adding superfluous stripping. Good idea though and it may come down to that. Thanks
Old 08-03-2009, 06:39 PM   #4
70 Suburban
Rods

well depending on the situaton. you can bend the door jam on the door a tad. pull the back in or the front out as needed. alan shows a nice way of doing this in he build thread

1965 C-10 Ext cab build. 350??(Does it count at 2 truck if I had to cut one up?)
1966 C-10 lwb 283 auto
1970 Suburban in pieces
1971 Blazer 4wd....restore someday. all factory CST
1972 Blazer 4wd parts truck still a roller
1972 GMC Sierra Grandee

1998 Chevy ext driver.
2005 F**D the wife drive...(cant fix women)
70 Suburban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:15 PM   #5
Bazooka
Keepin it old school

Mexican food usually gives me a terrible case of bad wind
Bazooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 10:00 PM   #6
Northern lights

I THINK I may have it fixed. I adjusted the doors inboard then readjusted the cowls and fenders to align with the new door positions. The door APEAR to contact the weatherstripping all the way around. When we get suitable weather, I'll take it out and try it.

Thanks for the input.