The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-25-2007, 10:41 AM   #1
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

Re: just totaled my 69 and almost totaled me

sorry to hear about you and your truck . trucks can be replaced you cannot. Hopefully the other driver had good insurance so youll be well compensated, although it never seems to be enough for the pain and all suffered. as to the drunk driver i have no sympathy better him than you and at least like alot of drun drivers he wont be repeating his acts

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:41 AM   #2
CG
BlahBlahBlah

Glad you made it out ok. Must be weird for you to look at that mass of metal and realize you were in it when that happened.

As for the fella that passed. I have zero sympathy for him. I do feel for his family though. Does anyone have any idea how many innocent people are killed or injured every year because someone makes the decision to drive drunk? You may as well just take out a gun, close your eyes and just start shooting it...you may hit someone you may not. I see no difference. Recently some lady out here was driving drunk down the freeway the wrong way. She hit an innocent young couple head on. Killed the 18 year old girl and the boy will probably never wake up from a coma. The most the drunk will get is 6 years...Where is the justice in that????????

Take care of yourself. You can always pick up another one of these tanks...I mean trucks.
CG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:53 AM   #3
Brad
Out of the carpool lane.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CG View Post
Glad you made it out ok. Must be weird for you to look at that mass of metal and realize you were in it when that happened.

As for the fella that passed. I have zero sympathy for him. I do feel for his family though. Does anyone have any idea how many innocent people are killed or injured every year because someone makes the decision to drive drunk? You may as well just take out a gun, close your eyes and just start shooting it...you may hit someone you may not. I see no difference. Recently some lady out here was driving drunk down the freeway the wrong way. She hit an innocent young couple head on. Killed the 18 year old girl and the boy will probably never wake up from a coma. The most the drunk will get is 6 years...Where is the justice in that????????

Take care of yourself. You can always pick up another one of these tanks...I mean trucks.
I can't say it any better than that. I absolutely hate drunk drivers.
I wish you a speedy recovery!

1968 C-10 SWB, 5.7 Vortec/700R4/3.73 posi, Torch Red
1968 Camaro, 250/Powerglide, all original (No, I'm not gonna drop a 350 in it!...Jeez!)
2000 Honda VFR in the faster yellow!
2008 Husqvarna TE-610

1967 C-10 SWB 'Six Appeal'-Gone but not forgotten...

Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 10:56 AM   #4
berencam

just heard from my employer. she is keeping me on her payroll at 40 hours per week till i get better. i about fell out of my seat when i heard it.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:38 PM   #5
RicksTrucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by berencam View Post
just heard from my employer. she is keeping me on her payroll at 40 hours per week till i get better. i about fell out of my seat when i heard it.
Glad you came out of it as well as you did. Great about your employer - who do you work for - I think they deserve a plug if you want to give them one. That is the kind of business I like doing business with - they take care of their people and it is not always about the bottom line. Get better and save another truck.
70 LWB C-20 BB402
70 LWB C-10 CST
70 LWB C-10 CST
71 Short Stepside Cheyenne C-10
72 LWB C-10
72 Blazer 4x4 4spd
95 Jeep Cherokee 4x4
RicksTrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:00 AM   #6
Zonaman

So sorry for you and the family of the other driver. Glad you're recovering. Did your seat belt have a shoulder strap or was it just across the waist?
Old 10-25-2007, 11:07 AM   #7
kwmech

That should be one of those displays put up in front of the local high schools about the perils about drinking and driving. What was the other guy driving?
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:10 AM   #8
BOSS
Just here to help

Sorry to hear about this but glad you are still around.If you ever need anything just shoot me a pm.

Norwood Survivor
BOSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:24 AM   #9
caminokid
Chevy nut

Berencam. I pulled the seat belts out of my 77. They are the 3 point ones. After seeing that I will put them in my 69 now. Dude I am sorry it happened to you.

I had a friend killed by a drunk driver. She was riding with the guy. He wrecked...got out of the car and left her to burn up in the car. She would have made it if he would have pulled her out of the car. So guys I am sorry if I have no compassion for the drunk. I feel feel bad for his family. Its a sad thing that people cant understand that this is a problem. If this is going o be a problem...then these breathalizer things should be installed in all vehicles to stop these idiots from driving....blow into it...over the limit...no start.

"Remember kids there is NO replacement for displacement!"
caminokid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:35 AM   #10
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

Quote:
Originally Posted by caminokid View Post
If this is going o be a problem...then these breathalizer things should be installed in all vehicles to stop these idiots from driving....blow into it...over the limit...no start.
I agree, but man what a pain in the butt

A ex friend of mine has one of those in his car because of 2 DWI's & it take forever to get to start the car, but the way I look at it is he brought it on himself by being stupid

I think if you get 1 DWI you should have to have one, but here you have to have 2 before they make you put one in

Killer

Last edited by Spray-Bomb; 10-25-2007 at 11:36 AM.
Spray-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:29 AM   #11
Spray-Bomb
Texas Big Wig

Wow !!!

Hope you make a speedy recovery (you definitely were being watched out for)
Sorry bout the other guy, its sad people make such stupid judgments

I'm glad I have 3-point belts in my black truck & it really makes me want to get rid of my yellow truck (like I already want to)

Can you still talk with ur busted jaw ???

Killer
Spray-Bomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:35 AM   #12
Yukon Jack
Post Whore

That is an amazing amount of damage - WOW.

Hat's off to your employer for keeping you on the payroll - that is great of them!!

I hope you heal well and can be wrenching on another one soon!
Yukon Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:46 PM   #13
teeitup
Just like to part out trucks!!

WOW, wishing you a speedy recovery, very sad for you, David's family, everyone involved. Wish you the best!!!
1958 Cameo (one of 1405 built, it was my dads)
2020 chevy Apex 4x4 crew cab
1969 Z28 with the 302
1980 chevy swb 4x4
1964 chevell Malibu SS
1976 K20, sold new originally out of my dads chevy dealership

Members that I've met, over 200 probably closer to 300 in the 12 years I've been on this site, everyone I met "It was a pleasure"
teeitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 09:51 AM   #14
70cst

WOW berencam ... you are going to have to do a second thread to keep us informed on your progress. This has some very intersting comments...Geeeeee even some which had nothing to do with your accident. Hopefully each day you will start feeling better. I an curious how you insurance settles on a $$$ value on your truck. Keep us updated and I am sure you will get all the help required to get you back into one of our trucks.

67-72 Chevy and GMC Trucks...The Classic Truck for the Classic Folk.

1970 CST Two tone green, 402BB, 400 Automatic, Tach, Buckets, AC, AM-FM, Tilt, GM CB, GM 8 Tract, LWB, etc

JOHN 17:3...The better side of "LIFE"

Remember: Everyday is a good day...Some are just gooder!
70cst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 08:02 AM   #15
Bowtie001
Project underway - finally.

You are lucky to be alive. He must have been going mighty fast to go through the front end like that. Is the broken jaw and skull from hitting the steering wheel? Man, it looks terrible. Did the truck have shoulder belts?

You are not lucky to be alive - the man upstairs decided that you should be.

Get better soon.

-Brian
Old 10-27-2007, 03:13 PM   #16
ChaseDale3and8

Keep us updated on David's condition. Hopefully he will make it, learn something from this and never do it again. I really hope that he pulls through this. His family and friends have suffered enough already. They are victims of this tragedy as well. Whoever saw him leave wherever he was at last must be carrying around a lot of guilt right now for not stopping him. They should have hog tied him and taken his keys by force if they had to, and found him some transportation home.

I wish that someone had stopped me that night 17 years ago when I rolled my truck after I thought that I had a big red S on the front of my shirt and was so invincible. I was 24 at the time. I'm still paying for it to this day, and will continue to do so until the day that I die. I have constant neck and back pain from it, (broke my back and neck) and sometimes some really severe headaches, but I'm still alive. I thank God that nobody was with me, and that I didn't hit anyone else when I wrecked. I couldn't live with that if I had hurt or killed somebody else due to my ignorance while I was out having "fun".
I'm just lucky that this was all that I got as a result of being stupid one night.

I learned from my mistake, and don't drink alcohol at all anymore. It's not just you that it affects once you make the decision to drive in a drunk condition. You're just playing Russian Roulette, and no matter how many times you got away with it in the past or present, the day WILL come that it will catch up with you. Getting a DUI isn't the worst thing that can happen as a result. Waking up in the hospital not knowing where you are, then being told that you had a wreck when you know that you'd been out drinking all night, and the first thought in your head is that you may have killed somebody, is the worst that can happen. Not to mention what I put my family and friends through. It was like living in hell.

My friends that tried to stop me said later on that they should have all ganged up on me and tied me down that night and took my keys till I slept it off. They all learned a lesson from my mistake too. They felt a lot of guilt for not trying harder to stop me, but I told all of them that it wasn't their fault, that I was the one to blame since I decided to be stupid that night.

I have given rides home to friends of mine that have called me too drunk to drive home since this happened to me. Like someone said on this post "I'd rather lose a couple of hours sleep than go to a funeral". I couldn't have stated this better myself.

We all make mistakes, especially when we are young. Hopefully good sense will take over eventually, and we learn not to do stupid things as we get older. I know that I'm not the only one here that has ever driven drunk. If you are still doing it, take this post as a lesson and STOP!!!

I really like the idea of the bumper sticker! I want to buy one of them myself after they get made. I wish you the best on a speedy recovery, and when you get healed up and buy another old truck, if you need some help with it just give me a shout, because I'm just up the road from you! ...Joe
Old 10-25-2007, 11:42 AM   #17
augie
Waiting for Paul to Open Safe

Get well , and count your blessings
Old 10-25-2007, 02:48 PM   #18
tkeduk8r

wow... I read all the comments about being in a tank and surviving, and I agree if you werent, you wouldnt have made it... you needed every inch of that thing... I know personally that I am watching head lights and what they are doing on each car that approaches me at night, and the later it gets the more paranoid I get... I almost refuse to drive anywhere after the bars get out around here... anyway, finally the good guy survives one of these and not the other way around... now, at least, you get to look for a new project truck.. i would save a few remaing good pieces from your wreck to put on the new one for charma....
--Mike
68 Buick Skylark Custom Conv., 350/TH400/2.56 In our family since '79
69 GMC 1500 SWB 2WD, 350/TH350/3.73 posi...
70 K10 SWB 4X4 4-sp,ps, pb, tilt, buckets, console, sliding back window (Need AC parts) WIP
72 Chevy K20 4x4 350/350/205/4.56 donor
72 Vette 350/M21/3.70 posi, triple black and super fast
84 Olds Cutlass Brougham 350/2004r/4.11 was Dad's
tkeduk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 03:06 PM   #19
Ole Blue 68

Berencam,

Sorry to hear about the accident It seems that its usually the dd's who wind up on the better end of these accidents while innocent people wind up in the ground. So between that and looking at the damage to your truck, you know for sure that somebody upstairs was definitely looking out for you.

Hope you get well soon.
Ole Blue 68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 03:17 PM   #20
ND_guy
Tool Addiction=Money Shortage

Glad to hear your ok.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:51 AM   #21
72Levi

Sorry to hear about your accident, I hope you heal fast, take care and our prayers are with you.
2008 Buick Enclave AWD, Nav, & DVD, Wife LOVES it!
72Levi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:52 AM   #22
bouncytruck
SKINNY TIRES RULE!

Looks like you've got someone watching over you. That is the most damage I've seen to one of these old trucks.
Wife's Ride2014 Fiat 500L
bouncytruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 11:58 AM   #23
shaneschevys
Its always something!

Glad to see you are ok. Good luck with your recovery.
67 GMC One Ton Flatbed
64 Short Fleetside
57 Chevy 2DR Hard Top
57 Chevy 2dr wagon
65 f*** short fleet
63 C 60 Flatbed

Member of the patina club
shaneschevys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 12:03 PM   #24
Gray Ghost

WOW...that's a bad wreck...you are very lucky. I often tell people how these old trucks are tough as nails and they always tell me about 'crumple zones'. Didn't do the other guy much good huh?

Thanks for showing us the carnage, very sorry about your truck but damn glad you made it through the ordeal.
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2007, 12:12 PM   #25
HeavyD

Can't believe your chest isn't crushed after seeing that bent steering wheel. Glad you will be Ok.