The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board > The 1973 - 1991 Blazers, Jimmys, and Suburbans Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-09-2021, 11:48 AM   #1
Artie in Miami

86 Suburban R20

I am in the process of installing a new fuel tank due to rust in the old tank...the tank is HUGE ! (Maybe 40 gallons)...I emptied the tank, jack under tank, loosened the front straps and am having a problem with the fill hose...cannot get it loose from the pipe coming from fuel door. Is there a thread for installing a new tank in the squarebody Suburbans. Impossible to loosen the rear strap bolts as the bumper and class 2 hitch are blocking access. I pulled the tank in my 90 GMC Suburban R20 to replace fuel pump and it was a breeze ! This one is a nightmare ! Do I dare cut the rubber fill hose and replace it with the new tank ?
Artie in Miami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 12:55 PM   #2
Keith Seymore

Re: 86 Suburban R20

For discussion purposes:

86 Suburban = C20

90 Suburban = R20

a) Is there a plastic "cup" in the fuel opening that the filler pipe attaches to, or does the filler pipe attach directly to body sheetmetal? Can the whole assembly (filler pipe, pocket, hose) all come down with the tank?

b) A lot of guys cut a small access window in the rear floor of the body so they can work from the topside. Sounds like this might be an option for you.

K
1986 - 2019
Intro from an Old Assembly Guy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
My Pontiac story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
Chevelle intro: http://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
Keith Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2021, 03:44 PM   #3
Artie in Miami

Re: 86 Suburban R20

Yes...it says "C-20" right on the truck !! Not sure where I came up with "R"!! Sorry !
I finally got the tank out !! was able to spray the rubber filler hose with silicone and grab it with channel locks...removed it from steel pipe coming from gas cap area. When I removed the sending unit, the little mesh bag that acts as a filter for fuel line (in tank) I noticed that the mesh bag is torn...can this be replaced ? Is there an aftermarket mesh bag that I can attach to the steel line ? Hate to buy a whole new sending unit because of that little bag !
Artie in Miami is offline   Reply With Quote