The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > Heavy Haulers

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-11-2021, 07:53 PM   #1
Pick121

Delete my Hydrovac? 1963 C50 Brakes

Fellow Heavy Haulers, I feel the need…the need to STOP!
Got a lot of views but no opinions so I am re-titleing this thread and adding a new thought. See post #2
I am in the brainstorming phase, not the actual repair phase. I am a planner, like to have a plan in place and co$ts in my mind for this budget build.
That being said,
I currently have the stock single pot/cylinder Master Cylinder with a 11’ Multi Vac single diaphragm booster. I plan to use this truck as a work truck around the ranch and probably on the roads for towing and hauling. It has the 283 V8, Chevy 4 speed trans, and 2 speed rear end (8.72-6.40:1) so top speed will not be outrageous!
Plan is a cab off budget resto-custom, mainly keeping this truck as stock as possible with some safety measures like shoulder/lap seat belts, upgraded brakes, and such.
I have a few options I am considering, feel free to chime in with other options I am missing or what you would lean towards. I plan on keeping drum brakes, rebuild or new wheel cylinders, run all new brake lines and hoses
1. Rebuild the Multi Vac and single MC (keep stock)
2. Add power booster to firewall with double MC (Delete multivac)
3. Hydro Boost (like off newer Chevy truck) with double MC, on firewall also delete multivac
4. Switch to some form of disc brakes, front disc rear drum, or all disc (later model rear end?)

Obviously #1 is cheapest, but no safety of dual MC which I really want (I know, I know, the stock original system was GREAT back in the day, perfectly fine! But, I really want a dual MC)
#2 I would have to have someone experienced calculate the right booster to stop the C50
#3 same as #2 and, would have to add power steering =$$
#4 sooo much $$$$ and time! Locating parts, mods to retrofit/axle widths, etc

OK, let’s hear it folks!
Attached Images

Last edited by Pick121; 03-31-2022 at 11:34 AM. Reason: New header-zero replies on old thread
Pick121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2022, 11:52 AM   #2
Pick121

Delete HydroVac? 1963 C50 Brakes

What if I just take the HydroVac out of the equation?

Does anyone know or have a ‘60-66 C50 with just a MC and no booster? Just wondering if that exists-probably takes a lot of foot pressure to stop!

The truck has zero brakes anyway with the HydroVac. I am thinking, rebuild or replace wheel cylinders, all new brake lines (metal and rubber) separated front and rear, split the system from a “new” 2 pot Master (with 1.125” main cylinder diam - what it has now) separating the front and rear brakes.
This will at least give me working brakes while I move it around the yard. I do NOT plan on cruising down the highway with a load without a booster. Hell I can’t even leave the ranch since truck is not registered or insured
Then I will check junkyards for a medium-duty Hydroboost system, along with a PS pump (truck doesn’t need to have PS, just a pump- then I’ll be set up for PS in the future if I can find a Med/heavy duty PS box)

The HydroVac shows as “Optional Brake Equipment”, with “Standard Hydraulic Brakes” as RPE for the ‘63 C50. This is what gave me the idea. Keeping the current Multi Vac system I am hog tied to a single MC system which I am not excited about.
Attached Images

Pick121 is offline   Reply With Quote