The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 07-27-2014, 09:09 PM   #1
sholl10

Window Problems

Hello all , I'm fairly new to the forum but have been looking through threads for years. I recently bought another squarebody, an 87 R30. The guy before me butchers the wiring to the passenger side window, I guess to try and fix it but wasn't able to. The window was only going down unless I manually switch two wires causing it to go up. I figured it could be the driver side switch which went bad and bought a new one. Didn't solve the problem. I used another switch from one of my rear doors and still not working. Here's how the switch is set up... Each 0 represents the holes that the prongs from the switch go into.

A 0 0 B

C 0 0 D

E 0

Now I have it set up so that each of the following wires goes to the letter next to it.
A= Black w Blue Stripe
B= Blue w White Stripe
C= Red
D= Tan
E= Blue

Now as is sits it will only go up but if I switch the Red wire from C to D the Tan wire from D to C it will go down using the switch. Now If I leave all the wires the way I showed above and tool the wire from A (Black w Blue strip) and touched E (Blue) it will also allow me to go down but not up until i break contact.

If anyone has any idea on how and can fix this please let me know, I'm almost to the point where I want to switch to manual windows.

Thanks,
Sean
sholl10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:20 AM   #2
sholl10

Re: Window Problems

Any ideas? I've searched through tons of posts and throughout different forums but haven't found anything.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:51 PM   #3
Just call me Sean

The window motors are reverse polarity, which means if they work one way they should work the other way. Not sure which color goes where but if either switch is bad the motor won't work. The unused switch completes the circuit when you use the other switch.
Just call me Sean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 09:17 PM   #4
sholl10

Yes I know that just can;t figure out why it won't reverse the polarity. I bought a new driver side switch thinking it could be that and also used 2 different switches that I know work but still no luck. Nice name BTW Sean haha