The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 05-30-2020, 01:03 AM   #6251
Gregski
Post Whore

Re: Restoring Rusty

now as far as my Left (aka driver side) turn signal problem, technically it ain't a turn signal problem, the turn signals work fine, all of them

the problem is the parking light or what ever you want to call it, the left aka driver orange parking light in the left fender does NOT come on

here are the facts:
1. there is a light brown wire that runs from the black square bulk head connector on the firewall to both the left and the right side parking lights

2a. a light blue wire runs from the same bulk head connector to the left (driver) side orange parking light in the fender

2a. a dark blue wire runs from the same bulk head connector to the right (passanger) side orange parking light in the fender
TROUBLESHOOTING

teach me something because my testing shows I am a total ignoramous

I thought the light blue and the dark blue wires were supposed to be positive and when touched to ground with a test light the test light should illuminate, but that is not what happens in my case, the opposite is true, the light comes on when with an alligator clip on the light or dark blue wires when I touch the pointy end of the test light to the positive terminal on the battery, but whatever I think the blue wires are for the turn signals and those seem to work

now the brown wire I assume is the common wire for the parking lights both left and right, so I don't get why I get no signal / power in it at the left fender, I think I need to unwrap it all all the way back to the bulk head and examine every inch for splice-atalogy problems

Last edited by Gregski; 06-03-2020 at 05:58 PM.
Gregski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 03:57 PM   #6252
LT7A

It's not a good sign when the task does not even receive a fun level rating. Good luck man.
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2020, 04:03 PM   #6253
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LT7A View Post
It's not a good sign when the task does not even receive a fun level rating. Good luck man.
LOL, yup, this task is yet to be rated, your comment on the other hand ...

Comment Level: Expert
Old 05-31-2020, 12:30 PM   #6254
LT7A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregski View Post
LOL, yup, this task is yet to be rated, your comment on the other hand ...

Comment Level: Expert
Hahaha
LT7A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 07:39 AM   #6255
texxxan

I'm glad to see that Rusty is getting some love.
texxxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 03:44 PM   #6256
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by texxxan View Post
I'm glad to see that Rusty is getting some love.
yup, me too, but he's been a little shiet lately
Old 06-01-2020, 03:45 PM   #6257
Gregski
Post Whore

EUREKA !!! I finally figured out my left side marker (parking light) problem. FOUR YEARS later.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:02 PM   #6258
texxxan

Quote:
EUREKA !!! I finally figured out my left side marker (parking light) problem. FOUR YEARS later.
Do tell...
texxxan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2020, 04:20 PM   #6259
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by texxxan View Post
Do tell...
ha ha, short answer: bad (yet fully functional) sister parking light bulb aka the one below the headlight above the bumper!?

full report @ 11:00
Old 06-01-2020, 08:49 PM   #6260
Gregski
Post Whore

so basically in order to fix this Parking Light
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2020, 08:51 PM   #6261
Gregski
Post Whore

... we had to replace a perfectly good in working order light bulb in this Parking Light

We will just file this repair in our "I hit myself in the head with a hammer cause it feels good when I stop" folder and collectively move on.
Attached Images

Last edited by Gregski; 06-02-2020 at 09:34 AM.
Old 06-01-2020, 08:57 PM   #6262
Gregski
Post Whore

Wait, what? Inquiring minds want to know how I fingered it out?

Alright, after all you are under quarantine, or as I like to call it a captive audience, ha ha

so on a serious note I want to share what I went through because it can actually help somebody out and maybe knock off a year or two off the time it takes to fix this, ha ha

Here's how I went about it. I wanted to figure how these lights worked and not just hack at it until it worked.

The first thing you need to do is figure out how a component works, in this case what each wire does. This was simple enough as the pig tail in question only had two pig tails, a light blue wire and a brown wire.

Now here's a Top Tip: when trying to figure out how something works, doing so when it is broken is definitely not the time to do it. Lucky for us we had another turn signal / marker just like this one on the other side in working order, so we employed our Stare and Compare methodology.

this allowed us to quickly pick up on the fact that although each light had a different color blue wire (drive side light blue, passenger side dark blue) they each shared the same brown wire, this allowed us to Divide and Conquer even further.
Attached Images

Last edited by Gregski; 06-02-2020 at 09:35 AM.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:03 PM   #6263
Gregski
Post Whore

since the turn signals were working we focused on the brown wire, to simplicate things even further and eliminate the fuse panel and the light switch, I removed the bulk head connector off the firewall and alligator cliped a power lead from the battery positive terminal directly to the brown wire pin on the back side of the bulkhead connector - and watched three of the four marker lights illuminate
Attached Images

Old 06-01-2020, 09:09 PM   #6264
Gregski
Post Whore

after poking and probing with a test light and things not making sense I decided to yank the front marker light (the one below the headlight) and stare at it

this one made sense, in addition to the brown wire which we know sends the parking light signal, and the light blue wire which is the left turn signal signal (ha ha) it had a third wire, unlike the side marker light, it had a black wire which was the GROUND! now that makes sense color wires send the +++++ pluseses and the GROUND carries the ----- minuses (I know that's not how electricity actually flows, so please don't call the Electrode Police on me just yet I is just explaining things)

so how the hewk does our little guy in the fender get it's ground? he don't have a metal housing so it cant be contact with the sheet metal
Attached Images

Last edited by Gregski; 06-01-2020 at 09:45 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:23 PM   #6265
Gregski
Post Whore

why it has to be getting it's ground through the light blue wire somehow, there is no other choice

so I poked at it some more with my test light and nothing, so once again I went to the working side and sure enough with the test light alligator clip connected to the battery positive terminal when I poked at the dark blue wire connector inside the socket it acted as a ground and the test light lit up

so back I went to the bad side and hooked up a long black wire lead from the battery negative terminal to an exposed section of the light blue wire at a Y junction as a temporary bypass and sure enough the side marker parking light came on - SAY WHAT?

I know right it don't make no sense, but now we knew how to make it work so lets press on
Attached Images

Last edited by Gregski; 06-01-2020 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-01-2020, 09:30 PM   #6266
Gregski
Post Whore

so here's what we knew at this point
1. both side and front left marker lights need a ground to function

2. the front market light has a black ground wire the side marker light does not
so how do we send a ground signal from the front market light with the ground wire to the side marker light?

answer: via the stinkin' light bulb

somehow in some way the light bulb takes the ground signal from the front marker light and shares it with the side marker light via the light blue wire (I honestly still don't understand this magic, but I accept it)

I also do not comprehend why a good working light bulb was insufficient to send the ground signal, but a different one of the same model number was

I even cleaned it thinking it was dirty contacts and no dice, when I moved the bulb from the working side to the non working side it would work, when I went the other way it would not, luckily I found another working bulb in my stash

pic of a bulb that would not work though it matched the working bulb exactly, this is the one I cleaned the contacts on after taking the pic
Attached Images

Last edited by Gregski; 06-01-2020 at 09:47 PM.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:38 AM   #6267
daddyjeep

Gee.... I wonder why it took you 4 years to figure out. The solution was clear as mud.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=786514
daddyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 09:22 AM   #6268
moregrip

Impressive, nice work; I'll definitely try and hold on to this gem in my memory bank!

1983 Chevy C10 250/3spd (current project truck)
1976 Chevy C10 350/350 Heavy Half (future project truck)
moregrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 10:55 AM   #6269
Wgesnerjr

If I remember correctly, the side marker and the front signal flash in an alternating pattern, right?

If so, I would think the side marker gets its ground from the front signal bulb when it is NOT activated. Therefore is lit when parking lights/headlights are on giving power to the side marker and ground thru the Front signal bulb.

When front signal is activated, the ground goes to the front signal bulb to light it and stops at the side marker. Therefore alternating the flash. Side, Front, Side Front, etc.
LS 5.3, 4L60E
Father/Daughter Project
Wgesnerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2020, 11:28 AM   #6270
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wgesnerjr View Post
If I remember correctly, the side marker and the front signal flash in an alternating pattern, right?.
Interesting, I just went out and tested it on my '74 and nope, they dingle at the same time. The light blue wire simply has a Y splice and one end goes to the side marker and the other to the front marker. Same deal on the other side but its a dark blue wire.
Old 06-02-2020, 01:22 PM   #6271
truckin 79

I think the ground for lights are right at radiator support or was that the Trans Am. I am pretty sure the grounds are right under the where the fender attaches.
Old 06-02-2020, 01:42 PM   #6272
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckin 79 View Post
I think the ground for lights are right at radiator support or was that the Trans Am. I am pretty sure the grounds are right under the where the fender attaches.
Correct but those grounds go to the front marker lights, there are no black ground wires going to the side marker lights.
Old 06-03-2020, 02:10 PM   #6273
Wgesnerjr

Quote:
Interesting, I just went out and tested it on my '74 and nope, they dingle at the same time. The light blue wire simply has a Y splice and one end goes to the side marker and the other to the front marker. Same deal on the other side but its a dark blue wire.
So I am "working" from home today and looked at my 85. They do flash together. I don't remember where I saw the alternating thing.

I also tested the turn-signal flasher has 2 prongs and it has 12 volts power on one side and, when activated, will flash 12 volts power to the other side. seems like there would have to be a full time ground somewhere.
LS 5.3, 4L60E
Father/Daughter Project
Wgesnerjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 02:56 PM   #6274
hatzie

The factory wiring makes the side markers alternate with the front turns.
1972 Ford F250 FE390, NP435/NP205 SOLD
1976 Chevy K20, 6.5L, NV4500/NP208 SOLD
1986 M1008 CUCV SOLD
2000 GMC C2500, TD6.5L, NV4500
2005 Chevy Silverado LS 2500HD 6.0L 4L80E/NP263
2009 Impala SS LS4 V8

RTFM... GM Parts Books, GM Schematics, GM service manuals, and GM training materials...Please include at least the year and model in your threads. It'll be easier to answer your questions.
And please let us know if and how your repairs were successful.
hatzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2020, 03:26 PM   #6275
Gregski
Post Whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatzie View Post
The factory wiring makes the side markers alternate with the front turns.
thanks, wish you had some squares to go out and test it for yourself like Jay and I did, question for you: are the front marker lights wired to both the turn signal switch (via the light and dark blue wires) and the headlight switch (via the brown wire) or just one or the other?