The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Forums > Alternate Tinkerings

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 02-22-2023, 01:37 PM   #176
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Re: HG's Dream Car Build - Shelby Cobra Kit

A lot can be said for customer service. Sent a message last night to Race Star Industries about wheels. The 92 drag star was my first choice but they didn't show a rear wheel that would fit. Their 10.5" with the ford bolt pattern had too much backspacing but the 17x11 had the right backspacing but a dodge charger bolt pattern. They called me direct this morning and talked to me about it. Because of how they drill them and they have hub rings I could use the dodge 17x11. The 17x7 front they have should work as is.

They are a forged wheel for a decent price. I bought the bronze version because I think it will look good but was told their wheels are just painted so changing the color isn't difficult. I'd probably get them powdercoated, which they said they could do for me also.

I think the only other big ticket purchases left are tires and paint.
Attached Images

hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2023, 08:57 PM   #177
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Ordered some tires while I had the card out and it wasn't maxed out yet.

235/45-17 front, 315/35-17 rear Toyo Extensa HP II tires. There are not a ton of options on that size rear tire that also have it in the front size. These were the cheapest ones in that combo but not sure why they are so much less than the Nitto tires. They compare favorably and Toyo is a decent brand. Not complaining though, got a full set of tires shipped for just over $600.

My 3-1/2" hole saw is too big. Had to use some cardboard to hold the big gauges in the holes. It was all I could get locally. So I'll order the 3-3/8 one online. I got the gauge control box wired in for most of the gauges but oil press, temp and the tach were what I really need for now. They did power up and when I started the engine the tach looked close. The oil pressure pegged the needle though. I couldn't run the engine for more than a few seconds anyway because we are in a blizzard here so opening the garage door isn't an option. Reading some ford forum posts concerning oil pressure on a coyote and they have very high pressure during cold start then it comes down significantly as it warms up so I'm not going to worry yet. When I can run it until it warms up and starts the radiator cooling fan, then I'll know if there's something odd. Maybe this weekend!

And the battery box I ordered finally shipped so I can finish building the trunk area.
Attached Images

Last edited by hgs_notes; 02-22-2023 at 09:18 PM.
Old 02-24-2023, 08:16 PM   #178
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Wheels and tires greeted me when I got home from work! Oooooweeee those look good! Getting the tires mounted tomorrow maybe. Just because I'm anxious to see them.
Attached Images

Old 02-24-2023, 08:34 PM   #179
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

And my battery box finally showed up! been waiting weeks for this. Part of the trunk set up.
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2023, 08:44 PM   #180
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Today was mostly working with the battery box and putting on some of the little panels. It goes slow with painting, modifying, etc.

I put the tires on the car yesterday and unfortunately they are a little too wide. The body is 71" wide at the top of the rear wheel opening. The tires are 73.5" wide installed. I knew this was a possibility and I could have bought the 10.5" wide wheels that had too much backspacing and used spacers but I wanted a more dished wheel, especially for the rear, so I went with the 6" backspacing on the 11" wheel.

Factory five said in the manual that 10.5" fits on the narrower fox body axle. And that I can replace the axle shafts and caliper brackets in the later axle and get 1.5" narrower. I can also machine the mounting flange of the wheel for more backspacing. It should get me very close to a proper fit. And then the body can also be modified.

I don't have a good pic of the tires on the car, lack of room in the garage. Eventually you all will see.

Also today I hooked up the VSS to the gause controller, and wires for the other gauges. I started it up and let it warm up to see if the radiator fan would start. It kicked on at 180f. The oil pressure on cold start pegs the 80 psi gauge. It worried me a bit the first time but a google search told me it was normal for these engines and the pressure would drop as it warms up. It did and seemed to settle at 28 psi at idle. The temp slowly kept climbing though so I shut it down at about 200-205. I need to burp more air out of the cooling system. The speedometer worked, I put it in gear while on the stands. Voltage showed good. The only thing that didn't work as-is was the fuel gauge but I haven't set it up yet for the ford sending unit.
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2023, 08:49 PM   #181
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

I'm putting the battery under the upper trunk floor as far to the passenger side as I can. There is clearance with the axle. But I needed to modify the box to fit around the gas tank strap bolt that was unfortunately right in the way. The battery still fits the box after the change. I also made a little bracket to help support the box on the inboard side.

This set up made me change how I was planning to do the trunk floor. I think I'm going to make another box to fit left of the battery.
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2023, 08:51 PM   #182
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Painted the battery box and bracket but didn't install yet. I did get some of the small panels on that close up holes, etc. Just part of finishing up odds and ends.
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2023, 08:57 PM   #183
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Spent some time scrolling through the assembly manual, making a list of things to finish up on the chassis. There's several items but many of them are pretty simple or could be done after the body goes on.

I almost got the parking brake handle out of the mustang. Just need to get the cables out and it can be cleaned up and installed in the cobra.
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2023, 12:09 PM   #184
67C10Step

Any progress is that, progress. Good stuff and keep it coming.
2020 Toyota CH-R
2020 Acura MDX
67C10Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2023, 07:18 PM   #185
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Drilled more holes in the dash so I can see the entire gauge layout. I'm good with it. But I'm finding that getting switches to fit may be a hurdle since most are made to fit in thinner materials and not a thick board. One of the reasons for doing the mockup.

I got the battery box installed, semi permanently. It is bolted in so could come back out but I doubt that will ever happen. I need a different cable end to fit through the hole into the box and I need to modify the lid slightly. It has a built-in battery hold down that is too tall. Easy fix.

The parking brake is installed and functional. I'm not impressed with how factory five has the cables. Just thinking about it now I could alter it so that it aligns the cable better from the handle and doesn't rub the frame but I probably won't.
Attached Images

Old 03-06-2023, 11:56 AM   #186
Rickysnickers

I don't know what your plan is for your final dash. However, you could use the metall dash that came with the car and put a wood veneer over that. You'd still have a dash plate thin enough for your switch mounting and also have the wood appeal you want.
Rickysnickers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2023, 10:58 PM   #187
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickysnickers View Post
I don't know what your plan is for your final dash. However, you could use the metall dash that came with the car and put a wood veneer over that. You'd still have a dash plate thin enough for your switch mounting and also have the wood appeal you want.
Maybe, but I have other ideas to try before that option.

I stopped by a local fab shop and bought some metal for the trunk area. He just snipped what I needed from his assortment of drops from other jobs.

Then I used the borrowed brake to make another box to fit in the trunk. It's 9" deep, 12 x 6" length and width. Still need to weld it up and paint it.

I just kept thinking about when I learned how to use a brake for the first time in middle school shop class. We made a tool tray. I don't remember what happened to it but it turned out pretty decent. More complicated than I made here tonight. Thank you Mr Filippi (pronounced flippy!) I just remembered that I actually still have one of my middle school shop projects, an epoxy keychain in the shape of MN that hung from the mirror of my C10 since I started driving it in 1983. I think it's still hanging there. Now I gotta go in the garage and look......

Haha, yep, still there! He was a good teacher. Besides the name he was one I always remember. How can you forget a name like Flippy?! And my dad had him as a high school shop teacher!

Anyway, hoping to finish up the trunk area this weekend.
Attached Images

Old 03-09-2023, 09:33 PM   #188
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Welded the trunk box up. Today's progress. Better than nothing.
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2023, 02:07 PM   #189
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Had to modify the box a bit so it would fit in the hole. The tube that holds the trunk hinges is in the way, oh well. It's fixable. I should be able to finish the upper trunk today. Waiting for paint to dry, which takes longer even with heat in the garage. We have near blizzard conditions yet again today.
Attached Images

Old 03-11-2023, 07:00 PM   #190
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Good progress today. Finished the storage box and installed it. Added a filler piece around it for a more finished look and seal it. Made the transition piece for the right side of the trunk between the upper and lower trunk floor. Finished routing the battery cable and it's ready to hook back up.

Tomorrow I will work on the lower trunk floor.
Attached Images

Old 03-12-2023, 07:49 PM   #191
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Yeah the trunk is assembled! Went better than expected once I had a plan.

Really happy with how it turned out. The bottom plates stay loose for now until the body is actually done because there's a bolt I need access to for the bumper/jack thingies.
Attached Images

Old 03-14-2023, 11:11 PM   #192
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Yesterday I made a very simple brace for the bottom of the radiator. Put it on tonight after the paint dried. I needed a horn so I took one off my 98 van. It'll sound like a Chevy truck instead of a little VW beetle beep beep.

Getting back to the dash, the wife said it needs a radio. We do listen to it in the camaro when we cruise with the top down, so I picked a radio. It's a small round faced marine radio from Boss. It's about the same size as the tach and speedometer so I put it in the center at the same level as them.

Next was placing the glove box. Pretty much keeping it similar to the standard. I think I have it high enough to allow room for a grab handle. The wife was joking that it would have snake skin on it (she can't stand snakes) but I actually love the idea lol. So I need to find some snake skin material for that now. And I need to find hinges for the door.

I ordered a pair of 5.25" speakers that will fit right in front of the shifter. I know I can fit small speakers under the doors but not sure about doing that. I can't use the area behind the seats because I have the cubby hole there and the doors slide across so no room. No room below there. More thinking to do there.

I fixed a couple wires for the gauges. I had a couple short ones just to get things working. Now the controller will fit where I want it. Still need to do wiring for lights/blinkers, horn, etc before I secure it. I ordered some buttons and switches that I hope will work.
Attached Images

Old 03-17-2023, 08:38 PM   #193
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Mocking up the speakers, I'm planning on making a rectangular grill to cover them. Some of the switches and buttons were delivered. I think I have it figured out in my head where I'm putting them. Blinker switch left of the column, horn to the right. I want to find someone that has a planer I can use to thin and flatten the board a bit. Then I can back cut it for the switches, etc.

I sat in the passenger seat for the first time. The footwell is narrow in the front, kinda have to angle your legs outboard. The dash is not that far away either. Feels a little close but nothing can be done about it. The steering wheel is closer than I would like also but oh well. The seat is as far back as I can get it.

I talked to the Ford performance tech line and he said I shouldn't have to use the speed dial or equivalent for the ecu. So I might be able to return the thing I got from Dakota digital for that.

It's coming together though and I'm liking it.
Attached Images

Old 03-18-2023, 03:35 PM   #194
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Glove box is almost done. Turned out decent for an amateur. Way bigger than the one you can buy with the kit. Many people add wipers and a heater which uses most of that area. If it's cool enough to need a heater I'll drive the camaro or my C10 or the crewcab or whatever else I have that has a heater and roof.
Attached Images

Old 03-21-2023, 10:53 AM   #195
gigamanx

Great progress photos! I've contemplated a similar stereo since it's all bluetooth driven from your phone for the tunes. Takes up much less space. While I'm working on a totally different car, I can fully appreciate the issues with space and the need to make things accessible for future service. I have a power brake booster under the drivers side of the dash so all that wiring you have is sitting on the passenger side glove box for me. No heater either, although I strongly contemplated at least putting heated inserts in the seats for comfort

Build Thread Phase 1 "The Swap": 1949 3100 with S10 swap. Beginner build with ambition!

Build Thread Phase 2 "The Drop": Beginner Build with Ambition gets Air Ride
gigamanx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2023, 01:27 PM   #196
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by gigamanx View Post
Great progress photos! I've contemplated a similar stereo since it's all bluetooth driven from your phone for the tunes. Takes up much less space. While I'm working on a totally different car, I can fully appreciate the issues with space and the need to make things accessible for future service. I have a power brake booster under the drivers side of the dash so all that wiring you have is sitting on the passenger side glove box for me. No heater either, although I strongly contemplated at least putting heated inserts in the seats for comfort
I might do seat heaters, but that can be added later if I feel the need.

I've been poking at this off and on over the last week and not really getting much progress. I got the dash planed down to 1/2". I tried to do the kerf cuts on the end of the dash, I was bending it and it snapped. That's why it's a mock up. I didn't get my scrap planed down so I couldn't practice with that. I have the other end to try yet.

Had to email factory five to find out what light switch is supposed to work with this harness. It's not the mustang one though, so hope to hear from them tomorrow. I made a bracket to hold the ignition switch, it'll mount above my right knee under the dash. There were a couple brackets with the kit for things like this but they have a big square hole and no side bends for strength, so a little flimsy. Easy enough to make my own. Once I get the headlight switch I'll make another bracket to mount it over my left knee.

I think I'll get the seats bolted down this afternoon. Using an extra piece of 3/4" square tube under the front of the seat to get a little more angle.

I tried making a speaker grill but didn't care for the look. I think the round will look better, They are too close together so I trimmed the originals down on a side to fit. I'm not using these grills but it gives me a better visual. The round works better with the rest of the dash instruments.

I drilled a hole for the aux power port on the pass side of the speaker box. And a hole near the radio for the aux and usb ports. The only other switches for sure will be headlight dimmer and flashers. I decided not to use a start button for the engine and just use the key. Simpler.

Yesterday I tried working with some hinges for a 40 something chevy glovebox. They won't work, partly because of the thickness of the door and the radius of the hinge movement but also because they are side mount but the door has round ends and need to be mounted inset too far to work. So I'm looking at some other gooseneck type hinges. If anyone has an idea, please post or DM me. I don't want to see the hinge on the door bottom.
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2023, 01:30 PM   #197
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

More pics. I like the look of the dash so far. And hopefully my latest idea for the final version will work out. Something very different. Totally unique.
Attached Images

Old 03-26-2023, 07:20 PM   #198
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Heard back from factory five on the headlight switch and also looked up what Ron Francis has because it's their harness. They use a GM style just like in our trucks. My parts storage is frozen shut but I ordered a new one anyway. Also ordered the hazard button and a switch for hi-low beams.

I did manage to get the seats bolted down. Not that it means much since they need to come back out to finish the interior and get the harnesses in. But hey, I drilled more holes and used more bolts so, PROGRESS!
Attached Images

Old 03-29-2023, 03:00 PM   #199
joesscamaro

Really enjoying following along on your progress.
joesscamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2023, 10:35 PM   #200
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Took a few days off the project. Waiting for parts, doing other things, etc. I sent my mockup dash to a friend for more work. I did trace it onto a piece of plywood beforehand. Took measurements for the centerpoints of each hole, etc.

Now that all the switches are here I started hooking them up. The headlight switch works great, just need to make the mount bracket. The dimmer switch has to be in the circuit to work and no problems there. The horn works, not sure where to mount it. I hooked up the blinker switch which is just a 3 position toggle. There's power to all 4 corners but the flasher isn't flashing. New parts that sat for about 6 years so maybe some mechanical agitation will help. Same thing for the hazard flasher. The switch I got for the hazards won't work though, I need a double normal open type so another switch is on the way.

I pulled some of the unused wires out of the dash harness. So what's left is courtesy lights, radio, power ports, etc.
Attached Images