The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 04-21-2023, 09:53 AM   #1
Yamariv

L6 250ci with 3 Spd Manual to Big Block Conversion-Does trans need to be moved?? Help

I've been researching old threads for days about what's needed to convert to a bib block. Engine stands, bigger rad etc but I have found a few posts relating to standards transmissions that say:

1. you need a different cross member to support the standard trans
2. and you need the large hump tunnel cover cause the trans moves back a couple inches.

Is this actually needed cause I've found other posts saying swapping to a BB wasn't hard but they lacked these specific transmission details.

Thanks

Upgrades: Power Steering
3 Core Radiator
7 Hole Gauge Cluster
Power Brakes (Incoming!!..)
1971 350 (Incoming!!..)
Yamariv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 10:28 AM   #2
Accelo

Re: L6 250ci with 3 Spd Manual to Big Block Conversion-Does trans need to be moved??

The 3 speed clutch and transmission are the same length as a Muncie, THM350, power-glide and 200/2004R.
Typically any/all can be interchanged without changing driveline length. Although some conversions will require the automatic cross-member.

I am wondering about the 3 speed behind the BBC. This was not a factory option because the transmission was not rated for BBC torque.

1. you need a different cross member to support the standard trans.
I don't see a need for changing the cross-member if you stay with the 3 speed.

2. you need the large hump tunnel cover cause the trans moves back a couple inches.
The large hump was behind BBC because they had the 4 speed manual or the THM 400.
If you are staying with the 3 speed no reason to change to the large hump.
If you use a 700R4/4L60 they fit under the standard floor.

FYI I have observed BBC installed on SBC mounts. This works but don't expect some issues like aftermarket headers will not fit.
Cheers.
Accelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 11:24 AM   #3
Yamariv

Re: L6 250ci with 3 Spd Manual to Big Block Conversion-Does trans need to be moved??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelo View Post
The 3 speed clutch and transmission are the same length as a Muncie, THM350, power-glide and 200/2004R.
Typically any/all can be interchanged without changing driveline length. Although some conversions will require the automatic cross-member.

I am wondering about the 3 speed behind the BBC. This was not a factory option because the transmission was not rated for BBC torque.

1. you need a different cross member to support the standard trans.
I don't see a need for changing the cross-member if you stay with the 3 speed.

2. you need the large hump tunnel cover cause the trans moves back a couple inches.
The large hump was behind BBC because they had the 4 speed manual or the THM 400.
If you are staying with the 3 speed no reason to change to the large hump.
If you use a 700R4/4L60 they fit under the standard floor.

FYI I have observed BBC installed on SBC mounts. This works but don't expect some issues like aftermarket headers will not fit.
Cheers.
Thanks Accelo! I'm a bit confused though.. I plan on keeping the 3 speed. So I won't need the automatic crossmember? Any way to know for sure?

I guess the clarifying part I need is if the 3 speed standard will stay in the same spot as it is now with the BB engine stands? If I need a new cross member and have to move the tranny back then I think a BB is just too much work and cost. If it drops in with the 3 speed with no driveline changes then I'm gonna do it.

3 Core Radiator
7 Hole Gauge Cluster
1971 350 (Incoming!!..)
Old 04-21-2023, 11:51 AM   #4
kwmech

You'll find long term that the 3 speed will complain about the big block in front of it from the added torque and horsepower. If you want to keep a manual transmission in the truck you may want to start sourcing a 5 speed that is up to the task instead of doing it twice. Big blocks ---in the stock form using factory frame stands----mount in the front holes on the frame and will push the engine forward 1-1/4'' of the small block position even though the stands bolt in the same holes. I 'm not sure of the 6 cyl placement vs big block as I have not converted from a 6 to a large V8
kwmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 12:41 PM   #5
Yamariv

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwmech View Post
You'll find long term that the 3 speed will complain about the big block in front of it from the added torque and horsepower. If you want to keep a manual transmission in the truck you may want to start sourcing a 5 speed that is up to the task instead of doing it twice. Big blocks ---in the stock form using factory frame stands----mount in the front holes on the frame and will push the engine forward 1-1/4'' of the small block position even though the stands bolt in the same holes. I 'm not sure of the 6 cyl placement vs big block as I have not converted from a 6 to a large V8
I kept reading that the 3 Ott saginaw was the stock default tranny for the big block. The more I'm reading, I'm hearing that 3 Ott was not the syncro Saginaw, but a beefier tranny, is this true? If it was something beefier then I guess a big block is not in my future as I can't really afford to do a tranny swap as well.

I've read many posts saying the 3 Speed Syncro Saginaw is a very tough underrated transmission, if I go small block will it hold up fine if I had something like a 325hp -350lbs of torque mouse in there. That not too far off the 402's power numbers though..

3 Core Radiator
7 Hole Gauge Cluster
1971 350 (Incoming!!..)
Old 04-21-2023, 12:56 PM   #6
72SB

The Saginaw 3 speed behind a SBC will be fine and will still hang from bell housing

IMHO a very streetable 400+ HP/TQ SBC will outperform an old school BB. Weigh less and run cooler and get 15mpg all day long
72SB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2023, 06:57 PM   #7
Mickeymotormount

Not sure on big blocks, but for the small block, the trans is moved forward since the engine is shorter in length than a 6 cylinder. This gets the fan closer to the radiator. Looking at the frame rail, there are 3 holes on each side for the engine mounts. The front 2 are used for V8s and the rear 2 for straight sixes.

My understanding of the V8s was that the big and small block share the same location for engine mounts. Hopefully someone can correct me if I am wrong.

Attached are a couple of pics showing the 6 cylinder and 8 cylinder bracket mounting positions on the frame.. I think the actual bracket may be slightly different between the 6 and 8 cylinder. The big blocks got a beefier bracket than the small blocks or sixes.

Notice how the 6 cylinder used the rear two holes while the V8 used the forward two holes.
Attached Images

1967 C20 2WD Longbed

2001 2500 HD 4X4 Extended cab long bed
Mickeymotormount is offline   Reply With Quote