The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-06-2018, 09:57 PM   #1
Resto-Rat

Help, No Instrument Cluster Lights - 70 Jimmy

I have a 1970 Jimmy and cannot get the instrument cluster lights on. I have new dash, all OEM gauges. New circuit board. All of the bulbs are new and test for continuity across the ground circuits and the opposite side of bulbs. Turn signals work, high beam indicator works, brake light works. Oil is manual. Fuel works. Hazard lights work. Light switch brings on lights and high beam changes to high beam. So I am confident the dash and circuits are good.

I have puled down wiring diagrams and the instrument cluster electrical connector uses the light grey wire to the number 8 terminal (second one from the right on top above the blank number 5 slot. No power there.

I have gone back to the fuse panel. The fuse has continuity on both sides so fuse is good. But with a test light no power on either side of the fuse.

According to the wiring diagram, the light grey comes from the dash into the fuse panel, and the other end of the fuse is fed by a dark green wire that comes from the dash light switch.

I have pulled the plug off the switch and get no test light joy on any of the terminals on the plug. The light switch works to turn on the lights.

Any ideas on how to find the problem?

Could it be a bad Light switch?
It works for the lights so not sure why it would not work for the cluster lights.

I am assuming that power comes into the light switch from probably the 12R big red wire. But not sure how to test that. When I use a grounded test light no joy touching that plug in the connector?

Could it be that the Green wire feeding the fuse panel if I am correct form the light switch is bad. Should I have continuity between green end of the fuse and the terminal on the switch? Yes?

Since I am not getting power to the inbound side of the fuse (assume the Dark Green) I again don't think it is the light grey wire going to the cluster?

Any other thoughts?

Sammy
Resto-Rat is offline   Reply With Quote