The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 06-30-2022, 05:50 PM   #1
D-n-Tyke

C20 Upper Control Arm Shaft Kit

I am trying to put together a complete rebuild kit for the front suspension on my 1969 C20 Suburban. I went onto Rockauto and have been able to find all the parts from Moog, with the exception of the Upper Control Arm Shaft kit. I see a bunch of kits from other manufactures but not sure if they are any good or not. I was looking at the delphi kit (P/N TC1606) but the picture doesn't show the rubber cup/seals that go on the end of the "bushing". I can't see why they wouldn't come with the kit, but the picture doesn't show it so that makes me a bit hesitant.

What have you C20 guys had success with?

(I want to do the full shaft kit because I don't know the maintenance history on the suburban so want to replace everything to start from square one on everything)
D-n-Tyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 04:01 PM   #2
tdangle

Re: C20 Upper Control Arm Shaft Kit

When I did mine years ago I'm pretty sure I got the upper control arm shaft kit from Pep boys (believe it or not!) You might also check out Napa, their website shows a couple of shaft arm assy's that fit

1970 Custom Camper/C20 , GM Crate 350/7004R, Dana 60, factory AC
tdangle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 09:06 PM   #3
D-n-Tyke

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdangle View Post
When I did mine years ago I'm pretty sure I got the upper control arm shaft kit from Pep boys (believe it or not!) You might also check out Napa, their website shows a couple of shaft arm assy's that fit
Thanks for the input. Yeah, I had seen the ones at Napa and from the included photos they looked similar to the ones I am seeing on Rock Auto (although 2 to 3 times the price). Wondering if they are the same manf, just branded differently.

Anyone have any experience with Mevotech, FVP or SKP suspension components. I was leaning towards the Delphi cause I have heard of them before and they are at the top of Rock's price range (i.e. hoping not cheap junk).

Also I am seeing some kits that are label "offset design" What is offset in these designs? Camber offset? caster offset? or?
Old 07-03-2022, 11:09 AM   #4
tdangle

I believe offset is to correct camber. If the suspension is lowered via shorter springs that will put things out of wack.The offset puts the top A arm out a little to correct the camber. If your stock height or lowered via drop spindles I don't think you would need these

Old 07-03-2022, 02:38 PM   #5
D-n-Tyke

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdangle View Post
I believe offset is to correct camber. If the suspension is lowered via shorter springs that will put things out of wack.The offset puts the top A arm out a little to correct the camber. If your stock height or lowered via drop spindles I don't think you would need these
How about lowered vis drop spindles AND springs (2.5 spindles and 1 or maybe 2 spring). Would you recommend the offset with that combination?
Old 07-04-2022, 10:48 PM   #6
tdangle

Probably.

Old 07-16-2023, 04:18 AM   #7
D-n-Tyke

So a bit of an update and need some advice. So I ended up buying a set of offset cross shafts and installing them. Here is my problem, now I have WAY to much camber. Top of the tires are leaning way farther out then the bottoms. I only have one shim on each bolt so no real room to adjust the arms back in. I am confused at why this is. I thought these were needed if you lowered your truck? Can someone explain why this went wrong?

Truck is lowered vis 2"drop spindles and 1" drop springs.